Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

RFS: My 2010 Draft Needs Analysis

I have watched the Rams struggle this season as most of you have, and have studied various aspects of the team from one game to the next. This has led me to several conclusions including what positions we are likely to draft and in which round. Remember, this is merely speculation, and I may be wrong. Hopefully, some of you will use this opportunity to discuss this, and maybe, just maybe, we can have a real discussion without usage of the word "sucks" in any form.

Round 1: Wide Reciever. Scream all you want about cornerbacks and quarterbacks, our corners are NOT the worst in the league, and neither is our QB...not even our backups. Our wide reciever corps, however, is not only thin, but is lacking a true threat. Robinson is, or should I say was, our best WR, but he was never looked at as a true threat. We need a Henry Ellard, an Issac Bruce. Once we get this, our offense will improve by 50% before he ever hits the field.

Rd. 2: OLB. Right now, it's the "Son of Animal show". Laurinaitis is doing great at his position, especially for a rookie. Without Spoon, he is working basically by himself, with backups on each side. We need to find a big, fast, bruising linebacker to improve our front seven.

Rd. 3: Offensive Lineman. We need a guard/tackle. Chances are, Barron will be gone next year, Smith will be on the left, and ????? will be on the right. Bell is okay at LG, but OK isn't good enough. We need someone who can move like a ninja that eats a side of beef at every meal - raw - to shore up our OL and open holes for SJ.

Rd. 4: Running Back. We can't expect Seven to carry this team all season long and be ready to do it again next year unless he has someone helping him. If we had another RB, someone that did the things he can't do - avoid the defenders instead of running over them, sneak around a tackle instead of breaking them...then we could have a real tandem at RB, and our opponents would have a hard time covering both of them.

Rd. 5: Cornerback. We are thin there, but this is one position we can wait 'til later to fill. Why? Well, if our front seven are solid enough (and I think they could be next year), the secondary will be just that - secondary. Add to this a POTENT offense that scores points, which the three above additions can make - and the secondary becomes almost... tertiary. Of course, we'd be going after a vet CB in free agency, so this will help a lot.

Rds 6 & 7: BPA, because we have need for the best available. Argue that point...lol.

This won't fill all the holes, and no, it doesn't include a QB. I still think Bulger is good for at least one more year, and we also have this neat little thing call free agency we can use to fill spots.

I open the board to discussion.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: RFS: My 2010 Draft Needs Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I have watched the Rams struggle this season as most of you have, and have studied various aspects of the team from one game to the next. This has led me to several conclusions including what positions we are likely to draft and in which round. Remember, this is merely speculation, and I may be wrong. Hopefully, some of you will use this opportunity to discuss this, and maybe, just maybe, we can have a real discussion without usage of the word "sucks" in any form.

Round 1: Wide Reciever. Scream all you want about cornerbacks and quarterbacks, our corners are NOT the worst in the league, and neither is our QB...not even our backups. Our wide reciever corps, however, is not only thin, but is lacking a true threat. Robinson is, or should I say was, our best WR, but he was never looked at as a true threat. We need a Henry Ellard, an Issac Bruce. Once we get this, our offense will improve by 50% before he ever hits the field.

Rd. 2: OLB. Right now, it's the "Son of Animal show". Laurinaitis is doing great at his position, especially for a rookie. Without Spoon, he is working basically by himself, with backups on each side. We need to find a big, fast, bruising linebacker to improve our front seven.

Rd. 3: Offensive Lineman. We need a guard/tackle. Chances are, Barron will be gone next year, Smith will be on the left, and ????? will be on the right. Bell is okay at LG, but OK isn't good enough. We need someone who can move like a ninja that eats a side of beef at every meal - raw - to shore up our OL and open holes for SJ.

Rd. 4: Running Back. We can't expect Seven to carry this team all season long and be ready to do it again next year unless he has someone helping him. If we had another RB, someone that did the things he can't do - avoid the defenders instead of running over them, sneak around a tackle instead of breaking them...then we could have a real tandem at RB, and our opponents would have a hard time covering both of them.

Rd. 5: Cornerback. We are thin there, but this is one position we can wait 'til later to fill. Why? Well, if our front seven are solid enough (and I think they could be next year), the secondary will be just that - secondary. Add to this a POTENT offense that scores points, which the three above additions can make - and the secondary becomes almost... tertiary. Of course, we'd be going after a vet CB in free agency, so this will help a lot.

Rds 6 & 7: BPA, because we have need for the best available. Argue that point...lol.

This won't fill all the holes, and no, it doesn't include a QB. I still think Bulger is good for at least one more year, and we also have this neat little thing call free agency we can use to fill spots.

I open the board to discussion.

we got two 5ths going into the draft and id spend those on O-Line and TE..we may need another CB (thats debatable) but if we do add another i think that should be a vet..weve got enough youth at the position..and the chances of finding a starting TE or OG/RT are higher than a CB in the 5th round.

with the 2nd & 3rd rounds..id go either QB (there doesnt seem to be many if any that would be good enough prospects to take in the top 5 of the 1st but there seems to be a lot that are worth considering with the second round pick) or we could go DE or DT..our D-line is good against the run but we continue to struggle getting after the QB..Little may stay on for another year,but he will need to be replaced some time..so if the right candidate is available then we should jump on him. also TE is another possiblity..
    i wouldnt argue with us spending our 2nd and 3rd rounders on OLB`s tho either.

if we chose not to go WR with the 1st pick and that is a good possibility..then we could look at Texas Longhorn wideout Jordan Shipley in the 2nd or 3rd round.

theres still holes not covered..but then theres always FA and i should imagine a fair few of them will be filled prior to the draft.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO even though QB isn't the biggest need we still need a Franchise guy. Another place we definately need help is at UT, we could use a more penetrating pass rush force on the interior, we don't have to get that guy early, but we need to get a guy with clear pass rush skills that we can develop in the mid to later rounds, because with spags he is going to be a rotational guy anyways. Otherwise to this point I would say your list is pretty accurate

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    IMO even though QB isn't the biggest need we still need a Franchise guy. Another place we definately need help is at UT, we could use a more penetrating pass rush force on the interior, we don't have to get that guy early, but we need to get a guy with clear pass rush skills that we can develop in the mid to later rounds, because with spags he is going to be a rotational guy anyways. Otherwise to this point I would say your list is pretty accurate
    I helped him out on this list a little bit, and a UT in the later rounds sounds good to me. We left Rounds 6 and 7 open for the best available players that are left. Could also use the second 5th rounder there as well.

As far as a "Franchise guy" goes, we already have one. If you look closely enough, you'll see his confidence level is slowly beginning to increase, since he is only getting sacked a couple of times a game instead of four times minimum. All he is missing are weapons. I can really see that once he has them, his numbers will get back to what the fans are used to, and everyone will put him back on the pedestal he was on in his prime. As for his successor, I saw enough good things out of Null in the preseason to think he could be developed into a more than adequate replacement down the line.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    I helped him out on this list a little bit, and a UT in the later rounds sounds good to me. We left Rounds 6 and 7 open for the best available players that are left. Could also use the second 5th rounder there as well.

As far as a "Franchise guy" goes, we already have one. If you look closely enough, you'll see his confidence level is slowly beginning to increase, since he is only getting sacked a couple of times a game instead of four times minimum. All he is missing are weapons. I can really see that once he has them, his numbers will get back to what the fans are used to, and everyone will put him back on the pedestal he was on in his prime. As for his successor, I saw enough good things out of Null in the preseason to think he could be developed into a more than adequate replacement down the line.
    Null Franchise QB based on his performance against 3rd stringers in in the pre-season? I don't know about that. Bulger is 32 and you said it yourself "everyone will out him back on the pedestal he was on his prime." So he currently isn't in his prime. This team is rebuilding and we aren't going to be great tomorrow, calling Bulger the Franchise guy would be mean we are rebuilding around a 32 year old. When we finally build up our team and close the talent gap how old will he be, he has taken a ton of hits in his career and has been injured you have to question how long he will last. IMO we still need that franchise guy it doesn't matter where you get him, but you have to get him. Whether it is drafting him in rounds 1-3, or trading for a guy like Kolb you have to get him.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams need to draft the best talent available, rather than trying to fill a particular hole with a particular pick. And no way do we pick a WR with the first pick in the draft (unless we are talking obvious, without a doubt pro-bowl reciever).

I find it interesting that a QB isn't even on the OPs list. Teams that are consistently good are teams that have a franchise QB, which Bulger is no longer. I don't mind Bulger starting the next couple of years (because we will be horrible anyway), but we have to start thinking about what the Rams are going to look like 3 years from now. I don't think we should reserve the 1st pick for a QB, but if the conditions are right we shouldnt hesitate to use the first pick for one.

We do need WRs, but not raw ones, we have plently of those. We need to pick up some veterans in FA until Avery comes of age.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. I think we can probably all agree that wide receiver is one of our biggest weaknesses, but I don't know if it's best addressed in the draft. With all the youth on this team, my preference would probably be to sign a decent veteran.

2. Linebacker, too, seems like a weakness, but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff is getting bent out of shape about it considering they traded off one of our best. I'd like to see this position addressed, but given the fact that our 2nd round pick is likely to be almost as good as a late first, we might wait until later for the linebacker pick.

3. Never hurts to have more able linemen.

Past round three, I just hope we get value. There are maybe a half dozen positions on the team for which we have a reasonably certain starter for next season.

bigredman is offline Registered User

The results of your analysis are in RFS....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

Good post, RFS! I did a bit of cropping so I'm going to respond to these three parts of it.

Count me among those who think wide receiver is as big a need on this team as anything else. I think this offense is totally different with a legitimate #1 receiver and an upgrade at tight end.

Robinson showed some dependability at times but probably is a better #2 at this point. Avery is probably a marginal starter at the moment because of his durability and inconsistency; adding another starter shifts him into the slot where maybe he can take advantage of some mismatches. Plus, if he grows and improves down the road, then you've got a starter talent as your 3rd receiver, which is always nice. Amendola, Gibson, Burton, etc can fight for fourth receiver duties.

At tight end, Randy McMichael has not had a good season. As good as Daniel Fells looks at times, he's not been able to overtake McMichael for serious playing time or for the starting position. Bajema is nothing more than a situational player. An athletic tight end who can motion and work the seam and make linebackers think twice about covering him would be a big boost.

Regarding OLB, Spagnuolo didn't exactly need superstar outside linebackers with New York, so he may not spend high resources on them here, either. I wouldn't be shocked for the Rams to look towards the third or fourth round to find a potential starting weak side linebacker. They may also look in free agency for an Eagles/Giants cast-off, or someone else who can fit the bill.

Finally, finding a right tackle in rounds two through five can be done, but you can never guarantee anything so it's tough to count on that player to become an immediate starter. The Rams may also be able to find someone in free agency who isn't going to break the bank but could play some solid, efficient football on the right side. I agree though, with Barron likely moving on and Smith moving over to the blindside, it creates a hole @ RT.

One thought is sliding Bell over there. That was something that was kind of whispered about I think this past offseason or the year before, but it's certainly a thought if the Rams can't find something they like. Then you plug Greco or Setterstrom in at left guard, and either have the other @ RG, keep Richie, or find someone else to throw in there. But this unit still does not seem to be playing up to snuff on a consistent basis, so I agree we need to keep trying to find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    When we finally build up our team and close the talent gap how old will he be
    It depends on how well and how quickly we can build up this team and how the young guys we already have will grow under Spags and his staff. Look at the kind of roster turnaround we've seen in just one offseason.

There seem to be two lines of thinking when it comes to franchise quarterbacks - (1) get them as soon as possible and then play them so they can take their lumps now while you try to build the team around them, or (2) build up the team a bit and then find the franchise quarterback to try and give him a better chance of success out of the gate.

I tend to subscribe to the second strategy, because while improvements at QB will undoubtedly yield some results, it's not the silver bullet to solve all the other glaring issues. If you look at teams where young quarterbacks have found some early success, a lot of times you see a team that already has some building blocks in place (Ryan, Rivers, Sanchez to an extent), or a team that's already solid but maybe just had a down year (Roethlisberger, Flacco).

Meanwhile, simply drafting a first round "franchise" quarterback didn't suddenly solve problems in Oakland, Cleveland, San Francisco, etc. Obviously there's some nuance to why those situations haven't panned out, and a lot of times you've got really scout a guy and feel comfortable with him as the future of your franchise (when you're spending $60-70 million on a guy who has never played a down of pro football, you'd better be pretty comfortable).

That's not to say the Rams shouldn't at all consider a quarterback with their first round pick. If they do their due diligence and find someone whom they want to build around, then it has to be a consideration and then maybe you go with something in between strategy #1 and #2 from above. When they make this decision, consider that they'll have had another spring offseason to make more moves on this roster, and hopefully continue to find some more building blocks for this team.

I think swatter's statement below kind of echoes how I feel...

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I don't think we should reserve the 1st pick for a QB, but if the conditions are right we shouldnt hesitate to use the first pick for one.
    Well said, I think. If the conditions are right, you make the move. If there's a guy we've looked at, evaluated, and feel is not only a good fit for our system but has the leadership skills and work ethic to become a franchise QB - and he's one of the best players on your board when your pick rolls around - then you pull the trigger.

But I think this team is going to get into trouble if they take a quarterback just for the sake of taking a quarterback, thinking that a new face of the franchise is going to be enough to turn this thing around. If there isn't a guy there that you're in love with, if there isn't a guy whom you think fits what you're going to do, then why make that pick? With as much as a high first round QB is going to cost this team, you've either got to get it right or don't do it at all. Making a mistake there can set your franchise back for years.

AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User

BRADFORD ALL THE WAY haha
    either we draft him or no Qb this year we go and draft BPA

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm all for it! I like the wide receiver idea here. We need a playmaker. We have the worst crop of receivers ever. It's terrible and we need that #1 guy. If we get a #1, Robinson can be #2 and Avery can be #3. That'll be quite the trio.

But, if there QB is the absolute, right choice, I have no obligations for the pick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nick said......
    At tight end, Randy McMichael has not had a good season. As good as Daniel Fells looks at times, he's not been able to overtake McMichael for serious playing time or for the starting position. Bajema is nothing more than a situational player. An athletic tight end who can motion and work the seam and make linebackers think twice about covering him would be a big boost.

Jermain Gresham....what say ye?

Beyond that BPA!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Nick said......

Jermain Gresham....what say ye?

Beyond that BPA!
    Gresham is projected as a first-rounder right now, and I don't think we can afford to grab him with our first round pick, which is likely to be a top 3, if not the number one pick. Trading back into the late first round would be a different scenario entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Gresham is projected as a first-rounder right now, and I don't think we can afford to grab him with our first round pick, which is likely to be a top 3, if not the number one pick. Trading back into the late first round would be a different scenario entirely...
    Just like Bradofrd he is missing the whole season, is he still going to have a first round grade? Maybe, but there is still a good chance he will be there at the top of the second

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I'd like to see a defensive end in the first three rounds. Little and Hall are getting towards the end of the road and whilst Long could slide over, the rest seem pretty average. Ah You may develop but Spags doesn't seem to rate Adeyanju very highly.

Quality ends rarely seem to hit the free agent market any more, so for me it becomes a need in next years draft. Maybe we target a third down, pass rushing specialist to help the secondary out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast