throwback week

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: RG3 vs Bradford my 5 cents

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: RG3 vs Bradford my 5 cents

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Exactly: RG3 is a competitive team leader during a playoff game there is no way he is taking himself out.

I also would not blame Shannahan either the guy is your horse he is your team leader he is the guy that got you there...Sometimes if the player says he can go you keep him in
    I can understand RG3 not wanting to come out, but it was painfully obvious that he was hurt, and not effective. He couldn't hit his receivers, and his mobility was gone. The run where he limped to the sideline was a clear indication that he should have been pulled, his inability to handle the low snap confirmed it.

After the first quarter, he had negative yardage running the ball, completed only 4 passes for 16 yards, was sacked 3 times, intercepted, and had a fumble. We can agree to disagree on keeping him in the game, but IMO Shanahan made a huge mistake by not pulling him when they still had a 14-13 lead going into the fourth quarter. The RG3 that took the Redskins to the playoffs was not the same RG3 playing in the second half against Seattle.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    My argument didn't change one bit, both my posts argued the same point: that if Kirk Cousins replaced RGIII the first time he has hurt, he would have given the Skins a better chance to win the game, and IMO they would have won the game. I never argued that my first post wasn't hypothetical, I was arguing Tomahawk247's comment that since Cousins came in and played badly, the outcome wouldn't have changed (a Redskins loss).
    I never said such a thing!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Debate over.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Robert Griffin III will undergo a full knee reconstruction after Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Griffin with "complete" tears of both his right ACL and LCL.

Griffin's return timetable has been set at 6-8 months, the normal recovery period for an ACL reconstruction. Griffin will undergo surgery early Wednesday morning. At Baylor, Griffin did bounce back from 2009 ACL surgery to complete 67 percent of his passes with a 22-8 TD-to-INT ratio and eight rushing scores in 2010. "He should be ready for the 2013 regular season opener according to the sources that I spoke with," Mortensen stated on SportsCenter. Although Griffin's recovery will certainly be worth tracking all offseason, ACL surgeries don't bother us as much as they used to. Assuming he avoids setbacks, Griffin's could even stand to make him a value pick in 2013 fantasy drafts.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Perhaps RG3 isn't the same player next year and we get a top 5 pick via the Redskins?!

THE DREAM TEAM

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I can understand RG3 not wanting to come out, but it was painfully obvious that he was hurt, and not effective. He couldn't hit his receivers, and his mobility was gone. The run where he limped to the sideline was a clear indication that he should have been pulled, his inability to handle the low snap confirmed it.

After the first quarter, he had negative yardage running the ball, completed only 4 passes for 16 yards, was sacked 3 times, intercepted, and had a fumble. We can agree to disagree on keeping him in the game, but IMO Shanahan made a huge mistake by not pulling him when they still had a 14-13 lead going into the fourth quarter. The RG3 that took the Redskins to the playoffs was not the same RG3 playing in the second half against Seattle.
    Well put. It wasn't about being competitive. It was about risking a career and shanahan was an idiot period.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Perhaps RG3 isn't the same player next year and we get a top 5 pick via the Redskins?!
    Don't know about top 5...but top 10 might be back in next year fpr the skins. This is no small injury

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Don't know about top 5...but top 10 might be back in next year fpr the skins. This is no small injury
    I bet the Lions didn't think they'd go from a 10-6 playoff team to a top 5 pick either, but they did.

I hate to see any injury, but a sidelined RG3 in the 2013 season is nothing but good for the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'd say Adrian Peterson had a pretty good year after a catastrophic knee injury even worse than Griffin's. The same for Peyton Manning after severe neck injury.

Certainly, this isn't a good thing for RGIII, but let's not assume the guy won't be ready or will stink if he is ready to return.
    sosa39rams likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'd say Adrian Peterson had a pretty good year after a catastrophic knee injury even worse than Griffin's. The same for Peyton Manning after severe neck injury.

Certainly, this isn't a good thing for RGIII, but let's not assume the guy won't be ready or will stink if he is ready to return.
    With today's medical advances, and RGIII's youth, he should be able to come back and play at something near 100%. Perhaps not by opening day of the 2013 season, but eventually.

I think the bigger concern is that he's had multiple injuries to the same knee. Eventually, you start to run out of "spare parts" (particularly the loss of cartilage - a subject I have first hand experience with), and that's when the downslide begins.

In the end, there's a reason why no team has ever won a Super Bowl with a spread option offense. Its just not a system that works in the NFL in the long run, and its murder on QBs.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I have not a speck of doubt in my mind that RG3 wont be able to return at 100% if not better next year. Surgically repaired ACL's are actually stronger than regular ones. Plus with his amazing work ethic and undeniable talent, he'll be back for sure. Im just curious, maybe the Redskins will be less inclined to run the option and stuff with him, and rather just have him drop back and sling it 40 times.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He could be ready to go next season. But it's certainly not an assumption to say he will be sidelined for the next several months. I would venture to say the Skins would prefer to enter the offseason with a healthy RG3 rather than an injured RG3.
    Rambos and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

This is a huge set back for sure. I don't know why but when the season started, I thought the offense they where running was going to change as the season went on. I thought they said they wanted RG3 to run some of his plays from Baylor to make the transition to the NFL easier.

When RG3 comes back, will he now have to start learning how to play a more conventional scheme? I thought a big part of his success and Alfred Morris success came from the scheme and their athletic ability. The run option is so hard to defend. They added the pistol and used play action, they hit on the play action out of the pistol for a quick slant at will. I really think that is why his completion percentage was so high, it was a nightmare to defend.

As we all know conventional QBs come up to the line and reads the defense and reacts to beat what they see before the ball is snapped. RG3 was not reading defenses before the snap he was reading and reacting after the ball was snapped.That being said did he develop any of the skills to be a pocket passer in his rookie year. I say he did not and if they now want to change what he does, he will be way behind considering he will be spending most of this off season working on getting healthy.

I know he can pass from the pocket but how special will he be if that is the path that they take? I think they have to stay the course and try and run him a lot less, only in key downs.

I hope they take there time with him and if he misses all of next year to be safe I hope they do it. Then when he comes back I can pull for the guy as he will no longer effect our pick.
    Rammed likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I have not a speck of doubt in my mind that RG3 wont be able to return at 100% if not better next year. Surgically repaired ACL's are actually stronger than regular ones.
    That's not really true. While the repairs themselves are very strong, cartilage damage and scar tissue are common problems associated with these surgeries.

I think views are a bit skewed as a result of what AP was able to accomplish. He's the exception, though, not the norm.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's not really true. While the repairs themselves are very strong, cartilage damage and scar tissue are common problems associated with these surgeries.

I think views are a bit skewed as a result of what AP was able to accomplish. He's the exception, though, not the norm.
    Yeah a doctor on ESPN said that it's a myth that repaired ACL's are actually stronger. He said AP is the exception to the rule. He went on to say 2/3 of NFL players do not come back from it. I would be shocked if he plays next year period.

Dr. Andrews

"AP's genetics were apparent in the immediate wake of the injury. He had his surgery moved up from the first week in January to December 30, six days after he tore his ligament on Christmas Eve. Afterwards, Dr. James Andrews, who performed the procedure in Birmingham, Alabama, pulled AP's father aside and told him he had never seen the interior of a knee like that. "It's like a newborn baby," the famous orthopedic surgeon marveled.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Everybody's recovery time and situation is different. Twenty years ago, it took a full year to be able to recover from an ACL tear. Today, people can do it in half that time. And it goes without saying that an athlete work twice as hard as the average person in the hopes of being what they were physically prior to the injury.

AV is right- cartilage tears, scar tissue and other general breakdowns compromise the knee over time and can create further issues leading to more surgeries. And it certainly isn't a foregone conclusion anyone having an ACL reconstruction will come back at full capability.

I tore my ACL in college. Not fun. I have the utmost respect for any guy who can successfully overcome that injury and regain his skills.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast