Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: RG3 vs Bradford my 5 cents

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: RG3 vs Bradford my 5 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Yeah a doctor on ESPN said that it's a myth that repaired ACL's are actually stronger. He said AP is the exception to the rule. He went on to say 2/3 of NFL players do not come back from it. I would be shocked if he plays next year period.
    You know whats funny? I always continue to read things like "two thirds of players never come back" and yet I can think of probably 100 guys that returned within the last few years, and know 0 whose careers were over because of it.

Willie Colon, Phil Rivers, Eric Berry, Tony Moeaki, Rashard Mendenhall, AP, Derek Cox, Gabe Carimi, James Carpenter, Eric Wood, Knowshon Moreno, Tim Hightower, Earnest Graham, BRADLEY FLETCHER, Kenny Britt, Domenik Hixon, THOMAS DAVIS (Tore ACL's 3 years in a row and now playing great), and Jamaal Charles. These guys all tore their ACL's in 2011, and yet every single one of these guys returned to the league and played just as well as they did before, or even better. I could probably find you another 30 from every year.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You know whats funny? I always continue to read things like "two thirds of players never come back" and yet I can think of probably 100 guys that returned within the last few years, and know 0 whose careers were over because of it.

Willie Colon, Phil Rivers, Eric Berry, Tony Moeaki, Rashard Mendenhall, AP, Derek Cox, Gabe Carimi, James Carpenter, Eric Wood, Knowshon Moreno, Tim Hightower, Earnest Graham, BRADLEY FLETCHER, Kenny Britt, Domenik Hixon, THOMAS DAVIS (Tore ACL's 3 years in a row and now playing great), and Jamaal Charles. These guys all tore their ACL's in 2011, and yet every single one of these guys returned to the league and played just as well as they did before, or even better. I could probably find you another 30 from every year.
    There's no doubt you can come back from an ACL these days (tearing the LCL adds a bit more to the equation, but I'm sure its comparable). The issue is how it impacts longevity.

In RGIII's case, this is the second knee issue in 3 years. Eventually, it could catch up to him.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm just telling people what he said... I'm not a doctor...

Dr. Michael Kaplan, NFL

ESPN's Dr. Michael Kaplan comments on Robert Griffin III's injury and whether Griffin III can come back stronger after tearing an ACL in his right knee for the second time.

Dr. Michael Kaplan, NFL - ESPN

Take a listen if you want, we all can form our own opinions.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Twenty years ago, it took a full year to be able to recover from an ACL tear. Today, people can do it in half that time.
    HGH is a hell of a drug.

On a side note, if RG3 comes back less mobile than he is now I can see problems for the 'Skins. He looked awful trying to stand behind the line and make reads. Of course Seattle has a great defense which doesn't help.
    BarronWade likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Im confused now; Can someone tell me how Mendenhall Carimi, Hightower, and britt played better or just as well as they did in years past

Also just as good as AP looks he is unworldly that was an insane year by him...Do you remember DX this was a guy that had knee problems and a couple torn ACLs (as does RG3) now yes DX played well for the chargers but as a Ram he kept have knee problems that just did not let him stay on the field...A torn ACL is a serious injury a stronger performance from RG3 should not be expected

Not gunna lie even though rams own the skins 1st round pick im hoping RG3 makes a nice strong recovery he is fun to watch...Im just hoping the Defense (including Carriker) finds ways to lose games

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Im confused now; Can someone tell me how Mendenhall Carimi, Hightower, and britt played better or just as well as they did in years past

Also just as good as AP looks he is unworldly that was an insane year by him...Do you remember DX this was a guy that had knee problems and a couple torn ACLs (as does RG3) now yes DX played well for the chargers but as a Ram he kept have knee problems that just did not let him stay on the field...A torn ACL is a serious injury a stronger performance from RG3 should not be expected

Not gunna lie even though rams own the skins 1st round pick im hoping RG3 makes a nice strong recovery he is fun to watch...Im just hoping the Defense (including Carriker) finds ways to lose games
    Mendenhall only got real action in 1 game against the Eagles, and he did work that game. Other than that he was benched in favour of Isaac Redman (And this is why the Steelers are at home and not playing football right now). Carimi sucked last year and he continued to suck this year as well (according to PFF at least). Hightower didn't really have much of a chance, but no doubt in my mind he could latch onto a team and continue the 3 YPC he averaged. Britt is the only player who slowed down, though he did tear up his entire knee, not just a torn ACL. Plus, the guy doesn't give a DAMN about football, so far all we could know he could have just swam by the recovery process. Not using that as an excuse, but everyone else recovered fine (Fletcher and Davis both tore 2 and 3 ACL's respectively and returned to play at pretty high levels).

The ACL injury is severely over-rated. Sure it still does affect a player, but I have yet to see the "dreaded" ACL tear ruin anybody's career, or at least multiple guys. I'd say just about 95% of athletes return to their previous form.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rammed is offline Registered User

The ACL injury is severely over-rated. Sure it still does affect a player, but I have yet to see the "dreaded" ACL tear ruin anybody's career, or at least multiple guys. I'd say just about 95% of athletes return to their previous form.
    Agreed so did RG3 after his first. But you completely dismiss the fact that it's his second. So that makes your albeit impressive list a bit apples and oranges
    Last edited by Rammed; -01-10-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Agreed so did RG3 after his first. But you completely dismiss the fact that it's his second. So that makes your albeit impressive list a bit apples and oranges
    Perhaps. And then again Thomas Davis (3 consecutive years of torn ACL's) and Bradley Fletcher (2 torn ACL's over 3 years) both are playing at a strong level. Mind you, Davis had 105 tackles, 3 FF's and an INT. I really have no doubt in my mind that Griffin wont return and be just as good. The only reason there may be a drop in his numbers next year is if the FO and the Shanahans are too scared to run plays that make him vulnerable and drop a lot of the option and QB scramble/designed run stuff.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

All of these comparisons are well and good, but people are individuals. Some heal faster than others. Some get over the psychological block that accompanies these injuries faster than others. Some work harder than others to rehab. Some are more, and some are less, reliant upon their pure athletic abilities to produce.

How does RGIII fit into these spectrums? Only time will tell.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that he will ultimately reach a level near 100%, but it probably won't happen in 2013.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If I were a betting man, I'd say that he will ultimately reach a level near 100%, but it probably won't happen in 2013.
    And that ties in perfectly with the other RG3 injury thread. If I'm being completely honest, I am all for as close to 100% recovery for RG3 as possible. Just not in a timespan that will be prior to any point in the 2013 season.

Once 2014 gets here, and his success does not have an inverse correlation to the Rams, then I wish him the best.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

clarasDK is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    All of these comparisons are well and good, but people are individuals. Some heal faster than others. Some get over the psychological block that accompanies these injuries faster than others. Some work harder than others to rehab. Some are more, and some are less, reliant upon their pure athletic abilities to produce.

How does RGIII fit into these spectrums? Only time will tell.

One thing is when and if he will be 100% again. But the bigger question ro me is when will the next injury happen and what will it be? Another knee bustet, concussion.... In my mind the way RG3 plays football will not keep him in the game for long and that makes him less valuable as a franchise QB. That is why I am happy that he is not our QB. All the upcoming draft picks just makes the deal sweater

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345