Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: RGIII Benched. Does this help or hurt our draft position?

chucknbob is offline Registered User

RGIII Benched. Does this help or hurt our draft position?

So it looks like there are even more Shanahanagans happening in Washington. RGIII has been benched "for his own safety" and they're starting Kirk Cousins with Rex Grossman backing him up. Do you think this solidifys that they're losing the rest of the season, or do you think this will light a spark to help them win against the Falcons, Cowboys, or Giants?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: RGIII Benched. Does this help or hurt our draft position?

Does he play defense? That's why they are so bad, that and the ST are filled with scrubs because they gave up the picks and the cap penalties. If Kirk Cousins goes out and plays really well there is still a chance they lose. If he plays poor then the will get blown out the rest of the way.

If they lose the week I think that will be the knock out knock out blow and if they win they may rally. All three games are on the road and the circus will be ongoing. My guess is they win one of three.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Do you remember the phrase "We will rally around _____ and play good football"? Hopefully Cousins falls flat on his face but one never knows.

Like I said the circus will not slow down!

Michael Irvin pulls the race card over Robert Griffin III benching
    December 13, 2013 By Steve DelVecchio

Robert-Griffin-RedskinsThere has been no shortage of controversy surrounding Mike Shanahan’s decision to bench Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III for the rest of the season. Between speculation that Shanahan is intentionally trying to get himself fired and reports that RG3 is furious, the situation has turned into a full-blown circus. And now, Michael Irvin has attempted to introduce the race element.

During halftime of Thursday Night Football, Irvin and the rest of the NFL Network panel discussed the mess in Washington. Deion Sanders said he thought RG3 “needed a little humble pie.” Irvin basically said the Redskins wouldn’t be handling the situation the same way if they had a white quarterback.

“You are tearing him down,” Irvin ranted, via Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog. “I doubt that any man can come back from this, walking around three weeks around these guys that you have to lead. And I don’t want to hear about teammates either; we understand as teammates and players, quarterbacks do get special treatment.

“You don’t see people arguing when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady gets (special treatment) — I don’t want you arguing when this kid gets it. He’s the quarterback, and the rest of us brothers have to understand that and treat him as such. I’ve got an issue with all of it. … You think they could do this to Andrew Luck? Let me ask you that, you think they could do this to Luck?”

First of all, comparing RG3 to Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is so absurd we don’t even need to bother getting into detail over it. Brady and Manning receive “special treatment” because they’re Super Bowl MVPs, league MVPs, and future Hall of Famers.

Moreover, I refuse to believe that Shanahan’s decision to bench Griffin has anything to do with the color of RG3′s skin. Would the Redskins do the same to Luck if he was their quarterback, had played horribly, had a 3-10 record this season and was coming off his second reconstructive knee surgery? Yeah, I think they probably would.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

RGlll is just a disaster, and I'd rather see him playing. He has no mental toughness, came into the league whining and fussing about getting hit, then had Santana Moss publicly calling him out to man up, and is now at odds with his coach. He's cracked, and I would have liked nothing more than to see him continue guiding the Redskins sinking ship. As laram0 said, I hope the team doesn't rally around Cousins.

citr92 is offline Registered User

yea...NOTHING to do with skin color...sheesh

though i like cousins, and i'd like to see him play well...i hope he can do that while they lose

Sauceman is offline Registered User

During halftime of Thursday Night Football, Irvin and the rest of the NFL Network panel discussed the mess in Washington. Deion Sanders said he thought RG3 “needed a little humble pie.” Irvin basically said the Redskins wouldn’t be handling the situation the same way if they had a white quarterback.

There's your keyword. I watched it, in no way, shape, or form is skin color mentioned. He asked it they would do it to Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck is also in a Sophomore slump, and he was drafted one spot ahead of RGIII. That's comparison I saw. This race-card BS, unless it's from another source I haven't seen, is nothing but the media twisting words to dramaticize the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    There's your keyword. I watched it, in no way, shape, or form is skin color mentioned. He asked it they would do it to Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck is also in a Sophomore slump, and he was drafted one spot ahead of RGIII. That's comparison I saw. This race-card BS, unless it's from another source I haven't seen, is nothing but the media twisting words to dramaticize the situation.
    I watched the entire thing as well, and you're absolutely right, nothing about race. He did say "we brothers have to stick together", but I took that to mean we teammates/players have to stick together. This DelVecchio guy is completely out of line and irresponsible.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Getting back to Chuck's question, yes, I think this whole RGIII melodrama whirling around the Redskins ultimately helps the Rams, even if only relatively.

As for Irvin, I REEEEEALLY DISLIKE HIS ANTICS, have always disliked his demeanor too.

Maybe Irvin is a changed man from his dumber days but I have a hard time watching him on NFLN.

Last edited by RealRam; -12-13-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Speleen

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post

I don't know what Irvin meant when he went on his rant. But more then one media outlet has picked up in what he said and have ran with the discussion. The point I'm making is the Skins are going to be a circus until the last play of the year.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Indeed, it is now a three ring circus in Redskins town: Shanahan. RGIII. Defense.

As Rambos said, there are going to be a few ringmaster wannabees that will want to jump in and run with this rubbish under a Big Top show of so-called racism. ...Bah.

"Just LOSE babyeee!"

Give up your 2013 season.

Last edited by RealRam; -12-15-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Speleen

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

RGIII is the lightning rod because he's the face of the franchise, but the Redskins have many other issues aside from RGIII. They're a train wreck right now, and that's a benefit to us. Although Cousins did a good job the last time he saw extended playing time, I think he's facing a different, more futile set of circumstances this time around.

It's funny how we can rip RGIII since he's not a Ram, but I have a feeling we'd be bending over backwards to explain his poor play if he was wearing the blue and gold. Bradford had a poor, injury riddled sophomore season and many of us still sing his praises, yet RGIII struggles in his 2nd year and he's a "bum". Objectivity is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Griffin isn't blameless in this whole mess and he has more than his share of growing up to do, but he's a talented player who has been mishandled and coached poorly. He's a perfect example of a guy who isn't being protected with intelligent schemes from coaches who should know better.

In any event, Washington will continue losing. Shanahan is a dead-man-walking and Kirk Cousins won't make much difference.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It's funny how we can rip RGIII since he's not a Ram, but I have a feeling we'd be bending over backwards to explain his poor play if he was wearing the blue and gold. Bradford had a poor, injury riddled sophomore season and many of us still sing his praises, yet RGIII struggles in his 2nd year and he's a "bum". Objectivity is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
    Objectivity is indeed a wonderful thing. If Bradford was playing poorly while making dozens of TV commercials, getting called out by his teammates, at odds with his head coach, and becoming a legend in his own mind, then I'd be bending over backwards to heap the same criticism on him that I've leveled on RGlll. IMO, Griffin is getting everything he deserves.

I hope you're right about the Redskins continuing to lose.
    Rambos, MauiRam and ramsbruce like this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

If we could recycle all the energy that the national pundits have put into creating a QB controversy in WASH, we'd have weaned America off foreign oil forever. The latest rumor that I find intriguing is the contention that it was Snyder, not Shanny, who was the force behind the mega-trade. No idea if it's true but it's a viable explanation for both this benching move and allowing RGIII to play after he got hurt last year. Neither decision seems like one a wily old coach with a rep as a QB guru would make.
    If this team-chemistry-wrecking meddling is really going on, I think it's to The Rams' advantage, for sure.

This still makes me laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast