throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: RGIII Benched. Does this help or hurt our draft position?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: RGIII Benched. Does this help or hurt our draft position?

RG3 doesn't play defense...the Redskins could bring in Tom Brady and it wouldn't make a hill of beans worth of difference

And if ESPN is worth believing or the NFL Network that the Redskins are trying to "showcase" Cousins for trade bait, so let them. I can't imagine one team willing to trade a number one Draft pick for him--those shopping for a QB are likely scouting for the next R. Wilson and hoping to strike QB gold second or third round...its just a guess

vanillasue is offline Registered User

RG 2.1 getting benched is very bad for the Rams as the Cousins can get er done and the Deadskins will play harder now. RG 2.1 is another over hyped QB that cost the Skins a fortune and will set that organization back 5-10 years.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Objectivity is indeed a wonderful thing. If Bradford was playing poorly while making dozens of TV commercials, getting called out by his teammates, at odds with his head coach, and becoming a legend in his own mind, then I'd be bending over backwards to heap the same criticism on him that I've leveled on RGlll. IMO, Griffin is getting everything he deserves.

I hope you're right about the Redskins continuing to lose.
    The media creates these guys. They cover them non-stop, (over) hype them, then when they turn out to be mortal, rip them when the public becomes critical. Any young athlete given investment, commercial or other opportunities to be recognized will jump on them in a heartbeat- as would any of us.

I don't believe RGIII is a bad guy. He's just another in a long line of prized athletes who have been coddled, pampered and told they're all that along the way. And like others, he's finding out that in the NFL, this won't fly. He'll either grow up or be out of the league in a few years. Of greater concern is that he has a style of play that's going to get him killed.

For his part, Mike Shanahan is an egotistical blowhard who has not done a good job in Washington and has not been successful at handling RGIII. The good news for him is that he only has three games left to deal with it (actually zero games, since he's benched Griffin...).

Nice to see that disharmony in our nation's capital isn't reserved for just the politicians...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The media creates these guys. They cover them non-stop, (over) hype them, then when they turn out to be mortal, rip them when the public becomes critical. Any young athlete given investment, commercial or other opportunities to be recognized will jump on them in a heartbeat- as would any of us.

I don't believe RGIII is a bad guy. He's just another in a long line of prized athletes who have been coddled, pampered and told they're all that along the way. And like others, he's finding out that in the NFL, this won't fly. He'll either grow up or be out of the league in a few years. Of greater concern is that he has a style of play that's going to get him killed.

For his part, Mike Shanahan is an egotistical blowhard who has not done a good job in Washington and has not been successful at handling RGIII. The good news for him is that he only has three games left to deal with it (actually zero games, since he's benched Griffin...).

Nice to see that disharmony in our nation's capital isn't reserved for just the politicians...
    Published: Aug. 24, 2012
    Andrew Luck explains why he does fewer ads than RG3

Robert Griffin III is everywhere. He's in national ads for Adidas, Subway and Gatorade. There is a 74-foot tall image of Griffin looming over Washington D.C.

Even the Redskins have got into the act, printing T-shirts of Griffin and Andrew Luck for this Saturday's rookie "QB showdown."
    Brooks: Scouting rookie QBs
    What can we expect from Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden? Bucky Brooks examines. More ...

While Griffin is everywhere, Andrew Luck is in Indianapolis. Luck chose not to pursue national marketing opportunities before his rookie season. His profile also will be lower because the Colts will be featured on national television only one time all season. The Redskins are consistently a good national draw.

Bob Kravitz of The Indianapolis Star wrote about Luck's choice to eschew some early cash, and we echo his point that there is no right way to "market" yourself. Both players should do whatever they want.

Luck put it well.

"I really didn't have much time," he said. "And I wanted to make sure I had time to handle the stuff that mattered, whether it was moving into an apartment, finishing school or learning the playbook. There was so much going on, I figured the less time I spent promoting myself or doing ads, the better for me. I figured I'd wait and hopefully, at some point, a big fish will come along.'

"And really, to each his own. I don't necessarily think my way is the right way. It's what's best for each person. It's fun to see Robert capitalizing on his situation."

The rookie wage scale lowered Luck's first contract, but it's not like the guy is starving.

"I'm living fine right now," he said. "I'll focus now on football, and maybe after the season is over, we'll pursue some other opportunities, maybe something in the Silicon Valley. But for now, the time isn't right."

As preseason games go, Saturday's Redskins-Colts showdown is tough to top. It will be even better when the two face off in a game that counts. By then, we're sure Luck will be in plenty of ads.

I recall reading that Luck turned some deals down to focus on football. I agree that the media builds these guys up and then rips them at every turn. But RG3 has also helped to create some of the hype. He is all about his brand and it seems like he's more focused on that then his game, I think Kap got caught up in and and so did Cam. At some point they need to understand football is the most important thing then you can do SNL or whatever.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Again, Griffin asked for everything he's getting. He embraced the media spotlight, but when the going got tough, and the criticism came, he crumpled like tin foil. Instead of keeping his mouth shut and focusing on football like Luck and Wilson, he decided to do and say things that created division within the Redskins, and the resulting fallout affected his play. That's on him. If he doesn't wise up, and toughen up, he's on his way to becoming Vince Young part 2.
    citr92 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12