Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Richie Incognito - My Take, Don't Go Hatin' Me

Maybe I'm a different animal, but I have a different take on the Rams "Sheriff". I just can't see why fans loving a player has much to do with winning. Heck, most O-linemen are hardly recognizable one way or the other, even a guy like Orlando Pace.

They don't invite attention at all, and are among the worst interviews in sport. Most are good guys, but they don't want the fans to even notice them much.

Incognito, who has perhaps the most ironic last name in the world, likes the spotlight, just like Kyle Turley did. For some reason, when O-linemen are outspoken, they really get a lot of negative attention from fans. Maybe it's because they stand out so among their peers.

Heck, even a guy like ESPN's Mark Stepnoski gets a lot of haters for speaking his mind so directly.

It seems like Receivers and Linebackers can be dicks and mouth off and it almost goes unnoticed, as if it is expected.

Unless Incognito gets in legal trouble, or continues to cost the team with too many major penalties (And in hockey even THAT is considered a plus),
    I don't see why he should be run out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered.

If he plays better, and gives it his all, and his teammates don't dislike him (and they don't), whi gives a rats patootee if he plays this whiole "Guy you love to hate" WWE persona. You note he is smiling and laughing at the crazy fans that wait way after a game just to go scream at the players and coaches at the tunnel when they lose.

I see those guys every week as I leave the field myself behind the players, and believe me, I have very little respect for that bunch as fans, no matter HOW much they have paid to attend. If you saw them , you wouldn't either, unless you look and act like them too.

Go ahead and run every player you don't like, every guy that held out for a bigger deal, showing "disloyalty" for the beloved team. Watch them start and star elsewhere, see where that gets us.

St. Louis fans are great in so many ways, but this whole idea of having to be totally in love with every player is way off base in pro sports. It just sets guys up for a big fall they don't deserve if they do anything not popular with the mob.

I think it's why when a St. Louis player gets dealt, like the Blues trade of Lee Stempniak, fans go crazy over losing their "boy" for some stranger, and the valuation of a player gets way overblown.

Like it or not, Incognito has been one of the better blockers on this team, and shows way more "want to" than guys like Alex Barron or Jacob Bell, who was supposed to solidify this line. I don't throw away promising young talent because of hurt feelings.

The fans here, and Rams fans all over, sem to thing you either have to be in love or hate the player, either for poor play, or not kissing their butts enough apologizing for losing.

I might be one of the only ones saying this, but GROW UP ! Let the coach handle his players, and how they behave. If the guy really is a bad apple, then he'll be gone soon enough. But I know these "sensitive" fans, and they would never forgive Richie even if he found a cure for cancer and made the Hall-of-Fame. Doesn't that seem wrong?

Barry Waller

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: Richie Incognito - My Take, Don't Go Hatin' Me

Great post, Barry!

I, for one, am glad we have Incognito...and I can pretty much guarantee that if we had a few more players with his attitude, we would not be getting bitc*-slapped on a weekly basis.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

shower beers is offline Registered User

Wow, a bit harsh for posting one's opinion, CaliGirlRamsFan. I think you've made it quite clear where your loyalties lie.

Nice post Barry, and I hope you don't get discouraged from posting your opinions on a message board in the future.

sorry Caligirl, but have you thought that maybe a lot of people on this forum might not like you?

But you know the difference is, they dont go gripping about it on this forum.

This forum is NOT for that sort of post you made but it is a forum for discussion. You should have discussed the POST and not taken a shot at the POSTER as it clearly states on the ClanRam rules page. For that reason, you did recieve an infraction.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I'm sure many people here don't like many others, so no, it is no surprise.

I'll stop posting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Why is it that the Rams enjoy getting rid of all high energy leaders? Guys like Warner, Furrey, Corey Ivey, Brian Young etc. They may not have all been pro bowlers but they showed up to work and not lay down like ladies. I love watching a warrior like R. Incognito challenge, scrap and fight. We need more like him and less like the wimps - Kennedy, Alex Barron....and this list could go much further. Keep the warriors and get rid of the bums!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I had no idea that fans would go to the tunnel and scream at the players and coaches as they leave the field. People act so stupid sometimes.

I don't have any problems with Incognito if he is not getting penalties and moving the team the wrong way down the field. He can talk and call the fans out. That's ok with me.

Boy Cali, you are drama and full of yourself. I can't believe that you are insulting Barry in here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

curleyski is offline Registered User

if ritchie can stop the stupid penalties and not cost us field position i say he stays on the team. we need this kind of nasty streak player who plays tough all the time. not overpaid, no emotion players who are really the ones killing us. kyle turley was the same way attitude wise and was one serious "bad a$$" and we need more like that. i think ritchie will come around to be a pretty good player or we will give up on him and he will go on to another team and become a pro bowler like EVERY other one we let go of. i think the fans screaming at him are also extremely frustrated for losing all the time (and a little hammered too)!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As I said in another thread, Richie doesn't play well enough to be this much of a jerk.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Actually AV, he DOES play well enough, and is not that big of a jerk anyway. As other posters have said, I'd like a lot more of his ilk.

And for the record Caligirl, I have always enjoyed your posts, but you were uncharacteristicly nasty and out of line in your response to Barry.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Good post. Im all for keeping Cogs.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I did come across nasty, and for that I am sorry. I felt insulted at the time. My apologies to Barry and eveyone I offended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Actually AV, he DOES play well enough, and is not that big of a jerk anyway. As other posters have said, I'd like a lot more of his ilk.
    DING, DING, DING!!!! We have a winner! The criteria should not be whether Cog is a Pro-Bowl player, but, rather, what is his contribution to the Rams. And this question is easily answered in that he is, at least at the present time, the best offensive lineman we have. As has been posted elsewhere if the rest of this sorry a**ed group played with Richie's intensity we would not be considering picking TWO ol's in the first 2 rounds of the upcoming draft.

Come on folks, let's lay off of Richie and concentrate on removing the dead wood from this team so we can move forward.

WHAT SAY YE?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Cali, if it were't for you this site would be like a Star Trek convention.

You hit pretty close to home in your choice of words in regard to opinions here being from those "paid" or "unpaid".

Bless Barry for his free input, but, in contrast, just look at Bernie's treatment.

P.S. Thanks for posting in yellow.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -11-26-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: i'm&idiot
    Kiss my ass, football gods

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Bernie and Barry are nothing alike.

Barry comes across as a fan who happens to also be a sportswriter. He has no agenda, other than to convey information and informed opinions to his readers.

Bernie is all about Bernie. He does not care about the Rams or the fans. He only cares about writing something that will draw attention to himself.

I don't happen to agree entirely with Barry's opinion on Cogs. But I would never rip Barry just because I disagree with him.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast