Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Richie Incognito - My Take, Don't Go Hatin' Me

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Barry, I know you're feeling a bit attacked, and are lashing out a bit. That said, I think you're being a bit harsh.

You want fans to appreciate players who do nice things, and assistants who toil in anonymity, rather than categorizing them based upon superficial observations. And yet, aren't you doing the same thing with us?

Sure, some fans are jerks. But merely complaining or expressing frustration over a team that has won 5 of their last 27 games does not make one a "hater."

In the end, you seem to be dividing us into "informed, loyal fans" and "mob mentality" types. I'm not sure where you are drawing the dividing line.

Anyway, my overall impression is that, disagreements aside, most of us here in the Clan are true diehards and will weather this latest storm.

I am no moderator, but given that it is Thanksgiving and all, and that we should all be celebrating things we are thankful for, is there any chance we can maybe close this thread and all move on?

It just seems like it may get even more out of hand ....

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    I'll be at Reds tomorrow, so I will sneak into his paypal account and pay the PimpDaddy. (Top secret)
    What's this charge to my paypal account to a pimpdaddy for animal husbandry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just one man's opinion. Maybe he molests baby goats or something, I don't know. But until that is established, I just have a hard time focusing our concerns on the top performer of a line that needs more top performers.
    Better be concerned!

"Stay away. This one's mine!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Holy Crap!

BigRedMan is Latin for "Too Much Free Time".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As I said in another thread, Richie doesn't play well enough to be this much of a jerk.
    I agree- I'm tired of hearing how much of a "Beast" he is. This line sucks with or without him in there. He misses blocks, blitz pickups, and is prone to bad penalties at the most inopportune times. I don't see all these holes he's opening up or pass protection he's providing in the middle. I've have been stating since he's been here that I don't see why everyone is so high on him- if his number wasn't called so much by the refs, the only time you would notice him would be when a defense tackle was racing past him on their way to the QB. And now to compound it with his utter stupidness, just makes him very expendable.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    DING, DING, DING!!!! We have a winner! The criteria should not be whether Cog is a Pro-Bowl player, but, rather, what is his contribution to the Rams. And this question is easily answered in that he is, at least at the present time, the best offensive lineman we have. As has been posted elsewhere if the rest of this sorry a**ed group played with Richie's intensity we would not be considering picking TWO ol's in the first 2 rounds of the upcoming draft.

Come on folks, let's lay off of Richie and concentrate on removing the dead wood from this team so we can move forward.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Just because he's the best player we have doesn't mean he would be starting most other places in the league.

Intensity is good.

Insanity is bad.

Incognito trends more towards the insane than the intense. How many drives has he killed over the years with stupid penalties? How many games has he cost the Rams, or come dangerously close to costing the Rams? How many blown assignments or pickups has he had? He's a loose cannon on the field, and should be cut loose by the team in two years in favor of an intense guy who isn't about ready to go after the ref.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Just because he's the best player we have doesn't mean he would be starting most other places in the league.

Intensity is good.

Insanity is bad.

Incognito trends more towards the insane than the intense. How many drives has he killed over the years with stupid penalties? How many games has he cost the Rams, or come dangerously close to costing the Rams? How many blown assignments or pickups has he had? He's a loose cannon on the field, and should be cut loose by the team in two years in favor of an intense guy who isn't about ready to go after the ref.
    I understand your concerns about Incognito, but I think that you are going a bit overboard. Permit me to answer a few of your statements:

1.) First of all if Cogs was cut he WOULD in fact be starting on any of a number of other teams immediately. (Please refer to the Madison Hedgecock saga)

2.) I believe the penalty thing is grossly overblown by some on this board. I mean its not like he'a an Alex Barron or anything. Richie's has had some dumb penalties but so has every member of the OL including Orlando himself.

3.) Blown assignments? Missed blitz pickups? Well I guess we'll just have to cut the entire OL 'cuz there ain't nobody doing their job when it comes to those issues.

Finally, I notice that you said the Rams should cut him in 2 years. If he is such a problem, why wait? I actually believe that Richie just may grow up a bit more in that time and exchange some of his "insanity" for more "intensity." All I know is that on a team that plays like moribund zombies a character like Richie Incognito is not only refreshing but sorely needed.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think Richie should be shown the door for the comments he made in the press. Rather I think his future here should be determined by how well he's playing.

And looking at the numbers, the guy's been penalized seven times in 11 games (same as Barron this year) and has allowed 5.5 sacks this year, not only a career high but second highest on the team.

Now obviously there's more to football than stats, but as someone who isn't able to watch every game because of location, this doesn't suggest that Richie is playing like one of our better lineman.

He's a RFA after this season so would be worth bringing back with a moderate tender offer, but right now someone would have to convince me why these numbers aren't indicative of his play on the field.

While I agree that a player's performance on the field should dictate his status on the team for the most part, but there comes a time a player's comments or personality can be disruptive to a team. Owens is the extreme of that example. I don't think Richie is there yet, and frankly, I totally understand where he is coming from regarding getting into the opposing fans ragging on you and getting you hyped to play. I just think his mouth got ahead of his head there when he made his comments. Unfortunately, his mouth or actions get ahead of his head on the field sometimes resulting in costly penalties. That, he needs to address this next year, or be gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I understand your concerns about Incognito, but I think that you are going a bit overboard. Permit me to answer a few of your statements:

1.) First of all if Cogs was cut he WOULD in fact be starting on any of a number of other teams immediately. (Please refer to the Madison Hedgecock saga)

2.) I believe the penalty thing is grossly overblown by some on this board. I mean its not like he'a an Alex Barron or anything. Richie's has had some dumb penalties but so has every member of the OL including Orlando himself.

3.) Blown assignments? Missed blitz pickups? Well I guess we'll just have to cut the entire OL 'cuz there ain't nobody doing their job when it comes to those issues.

Finally, I notice that you said the Rams should cut him in 2 years. If he is such a problem, why wait? I actually believe that Richie just may grow up a bit more in that time and exchange some of his "insanity" for more "intensity." All I know is that on a team that plays like moribund zombies a character like Richie Incognito is not only refreshing but sorely needed.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1.) Hedgecock is a good blocking fullback. He doesn't surrender sacks, allow plays to be blown up, or commit drive-killing penalties. Most NFL teams could do better on the offensive line than picking up a guy with marginal self-control who commits all three sins listed above.

2.) Personal foul penalties are much worse than Barron's eternal lapses in concentration. False starts cripple drives. Personal fouls kill them. Richie has had four years to learn to get his temper under control. He has not. At this point I have difficulty seeing him ever doing that.

3.) We should. Unfortunately this will likely play out as a two year process since it is virtually impossible to completely switch out the offensive line in one offseason.

We should wait simply because if he is the best we have right now, we wait on swapping him out until next year. (If the line is indeed a 2 year rebuilding project). I am personally in favor of a veteran's minimum tender, possibly with heavy incentives. Again though, he is a four year veteran. The "he will grow up" argument is starting to ring a little hollow.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I love ya Barry. Now come give me a hug!
    That picture is terrifying and the guy in the background is enjoying it way too much

faulk2jackson Guest

I somehow missed this thread and i love drama....

Did caligirl do something a reasonable and prudent person wouldn't do in the same and similar circumstances?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    but right now someone would have to convince me why these numbers aren't indicative of his play on the field.
    O.K. because the numbers you quoted do not reflect Cogs greatest attribute which is run blocking and which also does not factor his getting to the 2nd level frequently. NTM that Richie can play 2 positions and thereby gives us added depth in the middle.

There is another factor to consider: Namely the Cog is only our fourth highest paid lineman (behind Pace, Bell and *gulp* Barron) and therefore we are most definitely getting our moneys worth compared to the other injury-prone and ineffective linemen that we have.

Cog should be tendered at a high level to insure that he is not whisked away by some other team (Re: Green Bay with R. Pickett and B. Chillar) that is more interested in winning than we are.

WHAT SAY YE?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I think Avenger Ram may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am NOT against fans who go negative when a team sucks like thsi one. Anyone who watched me suffer in the poress box can see how I feel.

I jusy have issue with those who are all over Jackson because he is hurt, and will never forgive him no matter what (The same guys who probably never forgave the Rams for NOT signing Eric Dickerson, though as yet there is no comparison in production)

I have issue with those that from the start care more about booing a particular Rams player than watching the game. This team deserves boos for the whole gang, not just a couple targets who happened to talk to the media rather than hiding in the trainers room like cowards.

I have a problem with those that carry their hate to long after the game, the ones that gather at the tunnel to curse and boo the players, often limping off the field, and even carry their act out on the street, the guys that used to vandalize Tony Banks, house.

It's OK to ask questions, and show where some blame may lie in the front office, but going after players that may be hitting the field at 50% health doesn't seem kosher to me. If they sit, they get ripped, if they play hurt, the same. Seems like some can't win.

It's not a large group of fans I wish would get lost at all, but they are very loud, and love to try to spread their venom online and on radio shows.

I doubt the Clan Members, who come to watch their team religiously every year, are even close to the guys I am talking about. In fact, you are the ones that keep me doing this, keep me covering the Rams instead oif being allowed the freedom to just be a fan.
    Barry Waller

O.K. because the numbers you quoted do not reflect Cogs greatest attribute which is run blocking and which also does not factor his getting to the 2nd level frequently. NTM that Richie can play 2 positions and thereby gives us added depth in the middle.
    Query: How good is the Rams run attack this year compared to the rest of the league? Given how often our runs seem to be snuffed out, especially up the middle, and therefore I find this attribute to be....exaggerated. He really shouldn't play Center again either. If he's too worried about "scaring" the guy directly in front of him, he cannot be the leader of the line.

There is another factor to consider: Namely the Cog is only our fourth highest paid lineman (behind Pace, Bell and *gulp* Barron) and therefore we are most definitely getting our moneys worth compared to the other injury-prone and ineffective linemen that we have.
    So cutting him would be cheap? Or is his ineffective play truly reflective of his low salary? Perhaps his future replacement should have more money coming to them.

Cog should be tendered at a high level to insure that he is not whisked away by some other team (Re: Green Bay with R. Pickett and B. Chillar) that is more interested in winning than we are.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Sure. Let's throw good money after bad. I'd prefer the team wasn't facing a bad cap hit when it was time to let him go. Tender him the minimum, and take the compensatory draft pick if he is signed away. Perhaps we can find an intense guy in the draft who won't commit stupid personal foul penalties seemingly every other game.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast