RamWraith is offline Registered User

Is the right tackle spot still a concern?

I composed a list of who Tucker will be squaring off with this season. I for one have been very impressed with him the last 2 games. Only time will tell I guess.

Whiners-B. Young (2 times) 3 sacks last year
    Cards-C. Okeafor (2 times) 8.5 sacks
    Titians-K. Vanden Bosch 0 sacks
    Giants - Strahan 4 sacks
    Seattle - B Fisher (2 times) 8.5 sacks
    New orleans - C. Grant 10 sacks
    Jags - P. Spicer 0 sacks
    Houston - G. Walker .5 sacks
    Redskins - R. Wynn 3 sacks
    Viqueens - K. Udeze 5 sacks
    Eagles - J. Kearse 5 acks
    Dallas - K. Coleman 1 sack
    Indy - R. Brock 6.5 sacks

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is the right tackle spot still a concern?

The bottom line is that there isn't a RT in the league who won't get beat from time to time in an offense like the Rams'. Tucker should fare pretty well given his talent/experience level, and it an upgrade in the run blocking department over anyone the Rams have had at RT in recent years (including Turley).

Meanwhile, Alex Barron can work on his technique in anonymity. Ultimately, he'll take over at RT, and will be one of the better pass blockers at that position in the league.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Whiners-B. Young (2 times) 3 sacks last year
    Houston - G. Walker .5 sacks
    Dallas - K. Coleman 1 sack
    An additional thought on these three teams which play the 3-4....Tucker will be seeing pressure from the OLB as well as the DE, which in this case will be:

Houston - Jason Babin
    Dallas - Demarcus Ware
    S.F - Julian Peterson

All three are solid young pass rushers which will keep Tucker plenty busy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan Guest

I Think The Big Question With Tucker Is If He Can Stay Healthy, I Beleive He Will Do A Very Good Job When Hes In There,he Has The Type Of Talent To Keep Barron Right On The Bench.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think it's already clear that Rex Tucker is better than anything we had at that spot last year. Also Roland Williams will play a huge part in protecting Bugler this year. It appears he'll be in the lineup in Week 1 after missing a few preseason games.

What really excites me about Tucker is his run blocking. While pass blocking is more important in this offense, the run blocking for Steven Jackson will be better than the past 2 years.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rex Tucker should be fine ... other than the concern about remaining healthy, as jkramsfan noted.

Interestingly, Rex's brother, Ryan, during his last season with the Rams had some really nagging ankle/foot injuries. Let's hope Rex is not carrying that part of his DNA.

NFL 2005. Bring it on! GO RAMS!
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-08-2005 at 02:19 PM.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I'm sure we'll see a TE on the right side for extra protection this year.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Tony Soprano Guest

I'm not convinced Rex Tucker is the answer, with the limited time the Starters play in Pre-season - we've already seen Bulger laying on the ground holding his hand and wrist. I've seen Tucker bull-rushed into Bulger twice once against a lower tier DL from Detroit.

I think Tucker will be seeing the other teams starters for 4 quarters now and everything is torqued up when they step up to the Regular season.

I think Tucker is a MAJOR CONCERN and the Rams Front office agreed with me in spring on they wouldn't have used the number one pick for an ORT.

Nothing precludes him from improving, developing, or over-achieving, but watching other OTs around the league AND watching our own John St Clair, it's common for OTs to look adequate in Pre-season and be exposed in the first month of the Season.

Surprise me REX !!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Tucker is a MAJOR CONCERN and the Rams Front office agreed with me in spring on they wouldn't have used the number one pick for an ORT.
    You have remember that Tucker was origonally signed to play LG. The fact that he has been named the starting RT shows how well he has played there.

He's not Pace, but IMO has shown he can do a good job.
    I really like his run blocking, the way he pulls on traps.

Don't worry, he'lll be alright.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sprtsmac Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Don't worry, he'lll be alright.:clanram:
    Considering the problems that we've had at RT since our last SB, I'm sure we are all a little worried.

Tony Soprano Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I'm not convinced Rex Tucker is the answer, with the limited time the Starters play in Pre-season - we've already seen Bulger laying on the ground holding his hand and wrist. I've seen Tucker bull-rushed into Bulger twice once against a lower tier DL from Detroit.

I think Tucker will be seeing the other teams starters for 4 quarters now and everything is torqued up when they step up to the Regular season.

Nothing precludes him from improving, developing, or over-achieving, but watching other OTs around the league AND watching our own John St Clair, it's common for OTs to look adequate in Pre-season and be exposed in the first month of the Season.

Surprise me REX !!
    OFFENSIVE LINE !!!!

BoomGoesTheDynamite! Guest

Whoops!!!!

Tony Soprano Guest

I think Rex Tucker got benched,,,

S e V e N Sacks