Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

RIP Cullen Bryant

Ex-LA Rams running back Cullen Bryant dies at 58
    (AP) – 39 minutes ago
    LOS ANGELES — Cullen Bryant, who played for 11 seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and was a running back on its 1980 Super Bowl team, has died. He was 58.
    His sister-in-law, Wanda Bryant, says he died Tuesday at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo.
    Bryant was a second-round draft pick for the Rams in 1973. He played with the team until 1982, spent the 1983-84 season with the Seattle Seahawks and returned to the Rams in 1987 for his last pro season.
    At 6-foot-1 and 234 pounds, he was the biggest player of his time to regularly return kickoffs.
    In 13 NFL seasons, Bryant scored 23 rushing and receiving touchdowns and ran back kickoffs for another three. He ran for 3,264 yards on 849 carries.
    He's survived by three children.
    Very sorry to read this. I was a big Bryant fan as a kid. As those who were at the Bash know from the Trivia Challenge, he was the first Ram to ever score a TD in a Super Bowl.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: RIP Cullen Bryant

A great Ram during a great Rams era

RIP Cullen Bryant

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, only 58. Very sad. Cullen Bryant was a great Ram and a great person. I still remember his TD run that was featured on the opening of LA sportscaster Jim Hill's original "Sunday Night Sports Final" show.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Cullen Bryant dies at 58; former L.A. Rams running back

By Sam Farmer
    October 16, 2009
    Los Angeles Times

Cullen Bryant, a mainstay of the Los Angeles Rams for 11 seasons and a running back on their 1980 Super Bowl team, has died. He was 58.

Bryant died of natural causes Tuesday at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo., according to sister-in-law Wanda E. Bryant. She said Bryant, unbeknownst to the family, had been under a doctor's care and that his death was a surprise even to his three brothers.

A second-round pick of the Rams in 1973, he played for the team from 1973 to 1982, and again in 1987. He spent the 1983-84 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks.

"He was an outstanding person with great character traits," said Chuck Knox, who coached Bryant with both the Rams and Seahawks. "When we asked him to do certain things, he'd do them. He never complained about anything. When he got that big body moving, it was something else, and he had muscles on top of muscles."

Listed at 6 feet 1 and 234 pounds, Bryant was stronger than most tailbacks, and he was the biggest player of his era to regularly return punts and kickoffs.

"When Cullen hits those holes, nobody wants to stick their nose in there," teammate Jack Youngblood told The Times in 1979. "Those little 180-pound [defensive backs] just jump on his back when he runs by."

In 13 seasons, Bryant scored a total of 23 rushing and receiving touchdowns. He ran for 3,264 yards in 849 carries, and caught 148 passes for 1,176 yards. He also ran back three kickoffs for touchdowns.

"I guess some of the ends coming down on punts or kickoffs are surprised to see a guy of my size," Bryant told The Times in 1976. "They're used to tackling smaller people and might slow up or hesitate. This gives our blockers time to set up a return."

Two years into his National Football League career, Bryant found himself at the center of a legal case that tested the power of then-NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle to regulate free agency.

The controversy started in 1975 when Rams owner Carroll Rosenbloom signed Ron Jessie, a former Detroit receiver whose contract with the Lions had expired. Under the "Rozelle Rule," the commissioner was empowered to award the Lions either draft choices or players if the teams couldn't agree on compensation.

Rozelle ruled that Bryant must go to the Lions as compensation. At the behest of Rosenbloom, Bryant headed to federal court in Los Angeles.

At the hearing, the judge heard Bryant's legal counsel, heard the league's rebuttal and then essentially said he couldn't believe this type of servitude still existed.

The NFL capitulated a few days later, before the judge even ruled.

Born in Fort Sill, Okla., on May 20, 1951, William Cullen Bryant spent his high school years in Colorado Springs, and played college football at Colorado before entering the NFL.

In recent years, Bryant, who was divorced, largely kept to himself except for spending time with his two adult sons, William Cullen Jr. and Brandon; and his 13-year-old daughter, Brianna, his sister-in-law said.

"He loved his children," Wanda Bryant said. "He would spend as much time as he could with his daughter especially, and he had a very close relationship with her."

A memorial service for Bryant will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Trinity Baptist Church in Colorado Springs.
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

viper is online now Registered User

I'm sorry to hear about that. I enjoyed watching him play. Rest in peace Cullen.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Was shocked to go to the forum two minutes ago and see this. What sad news- the kind you never wish to see. I, too, loved Bryant as a kid. I can't believe it.

Would be nice if the team wore a small patch next week in his honor.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. Truly a great Ram, probably the best fullback the rams have had in the last thirty years. I think of him as a fullback with mccutcheon as the tailback.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Raise hell in the great Superbowl in the sky C.B.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

How sad to learn of this. Thank you for all your great efforts in helping the Rams win. You will always be a winner with us Ram fans!

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Sad news indeed. I, like almost everyone who posted before me, was also a big Cullen Bryant fan. When I think of those '70's Rams teams three names come to mind immediately. Youngblood, Slater and Bryant. R.I.P. my friend ....

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Sigh....just came on the board and was very saddened to read this about Cullen Bryant. The thing I always remembered about him was reading one time that he could bench press roughly 400+ lbs.
    This was off the charts for a rb and many linemen couldn't even do it.

Hard to believe someone that strong returning kicks.

Come to think of it, I remember one time Cullen returned a kick for a touch down against the Denver Broncos. I was watching the game at my girl friends house and I started yelling and gave her a big victory kiss. She didn't understand what I was all excited about but then again that's a whole 'nother story.

As many have already said, Cullen was a great player and Ram, and this is a sad day in Ramdom.

WHAT SAY YE?

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Cullen played just before my time but I've read of his exploits and he seemed to be a genuinely great guy, as well as a top player.

My sincere condolences go to his family.

blood85 is offline Registered User

RIP Cullen.

RealRam is online now Registered User

A heartfelt embrace of sympathy to CB's family, friends, & fans. A Ram salute to a solid FB, a great warrior!

Thanks AV for the news, albeit sad to hear. Too young to leave.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Cullen Bryant, Lawrence McCutcheon, and Wendel Tyler. Quite a backfield!

Bryant rushed for the Rams first Super Bowl TD, McCutcheon threw for the Rams first Super Bowl passing TD (a 24 yd halfback option to Ron Smith), and well Wendell Tyler who led the Rams in rushing that year (and later led the enemy to a SB where he got his ring).

He was a good running back as good running backs go and as good running backs go, he went.

RIP Cullen.
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -10-17-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast