Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jhigginsluckow is offline Registered User

From a Rival's Viewpoint

First off, this is somewhat of a continuation of my thread in your draft section. So you're aware. Basically, I personally think Bradford will bust out, or at least he will not be a great QB.

However, I think scouts will indeed pass Bradford off as a franchise QB. And as such, I believe you guys will (and "should" according to the scouts, just not IMO) take him. I've heard arguments as why you shouldn't, the main one being there is an overall lack of talent and Sam will be run into the ground. Honestly, I see some talent.

Feely is a good back-up and temporary starter. Certainly better than what we had in Shaun Hill, and we were able to make that work for a while. He can take the beating for Bradford for a while. It will also depend on how your schedule works out. For example, if you start with SD, ATL, @SF, and @NO, sitting your QB to start with may be a good idea. Bulger looks to be on his way out unless you cut Null and Reily or Practice Squad one/both of them if you draft Sam.

There is not a RB I would rather have than SJ - no joke. AP is much too inconsistent, and CJ is going to be good, but not 2k good every year.

Avery had more weapons around him his rookie year, and the lack thereof last year severly hindered him. He has good speed which is always a positive attribute. However, other than that, I don't know of much talent at this position. Looking it up online, Amendola appears to be your 2nd WR. While he consistently breaks tackles on Madden against me (causing me to buy a total of 4 new controllers due to me chucking them), he hasn't done enough to at least gain any attention around the league. I am a "perception is reality" type of guy. And I do it for the Niner's as well. No one has ever heard of Jason Hill, yet a good amount of people over there think he's getting robbed of playing time. um.... no!

At TE, McMicheal had always been a threat when he played for MIA. Now it looks as if maybe injuries and age have caught up to him? Bajema is a solid run-blocker, but doesn't really help the pass game too much.

On your OL, I believed going into the draft Smith was never going to be elite, but he will be good enough to start at LT for 10+ years. I still believe that is the case. Barron at RT is far better than what SF has had over the past years. Jason Brown is as good a center as there is. As for your guards, I only remember the name Greco because I think of the Gieco Lizard lol. You've got issues at that position.

I always believed at the time you drafted them that neither Long nor Carriker would work out for you. And neither has really proved me wrong. To be honest, no one on your DL scares me. Well Little does, but not on the football field. I believe you SHOULD take Suh. He is the BPA and Bradford won't get you more than 6 wins anyway this year. Even though you've invested heavily in DL recently, if I keep buying cars that break down, am I just going to walk to work everyday instead? HECKS TO DA NO!

James is a solid player. People will fault him because "your D was on the field so long." That's not his fault. Our own stud, Willis, is much the same. Although I do not think for a second ANYONE is on his level, let alone Laurinaitis. The only other LB i recognize is Grant. And that's only because he played for SF lol.

Ron Bartell is probably as good cover-wise as our own Clements. You have some potential in Wade and King (at least IMO), but I do not remember who Butler is. Back at safety, O.J. is your best player by far regardless of how inconsistent he may be, but due to your rebuilding process, the money may not have made sense.

Finally, you guys are one of the few teams that I think actually have a better kicking game than us. Brown hasnt done anything wrong that I know of, and I do hear about Donnie Jones quite frequently actually.

Overall, I could see you guys doing some things this year - in particular if you go BPA with Suh and Bulger stays/plays all year. You have a favorable schedule, and I think you can compete with most of the teams there. I really do think picking Suh is a HUGE determining factor tho, and since I do not believe you will take him, I'm sorry but I don't see the season going well. I think you could have a chance to win 9 games if EVERYTHING goes perfectly, but in reality, my guess would be 3-12. (SEA, ARZ, @OAK)

I'm all for anything you think I missed, and very intrigued at an assessment of SF.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: From a Rival's Viewpoint

A lot to discuss here, but I'm only gonna hit on a few points and bypass the draft convo entirely,

First off, I agree with your assessment of S Jax, I wouldn't want any other back either, and to think some people want to trade him for unproven rookies makes me shake my head.

You shouldn't have broke so many controllers, Danny Boy was making people miss all year, telling stat, he had more all purpose yards than the dynamic Percy Harvin. Get to know Danny Amendola, he is Wes Welker in the making, my only fear is that he follows Welkers career path, plays for a bad team(ala dolphins) then goes to a championship team and is finally recognized(ala Cheatriots).

And skipping around a bit more, you are right about our linebackers, J Lau is a stud, but he has no one around him, definitley need to get another OLB next to him this offseason. And I can't argue with you about Willis vs Lauranaitis, P Willy is an absolute beast.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    A lot to discuss here, but I'm only gonna hit on a few points and bypass the draft convo entirely,

First off, I agree with your assessment of S Jax, I wouldn't want any other back either, and to think some people want to trade him for unproven rookies makes me shake my head.

You shouldn't have broke so many controllers, Danny Boy was making people miss all year, telling stat, he had more all purpose yards than the dynamic Percy Harvin. Get to know Danny Amendola, he is Wes Welker in the making, my only fear is that he follows Welkers career path, plays for a bad team(ala dolphins) then goes to a championship team and is finally recognized(ala Cheatriots).

And skipping around a bit more, you are right about our linebackers, J Lau is a stud, but he has no one around him, definitley need to get another OLB next to him this offseason. And I can't argue with you about Willis vs Lauranaitis, P Willy is an absolute beast.
    Thanks for the feedback. Amendola is now noted.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Welcome to the board and thanks for the assessment. It's interesting to hear what people other than us think of our team. Helps to give some perspective.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I think the main area you slighted us was wide receiver. While this group certainly isn't on par with the '01 Rams, I think we have more talent than you know about. Laurent Robinson was off to a nice start last year, and if he had stayed healthy his numbers would have projected to somewhere around 900 yards over a whole season. Which would have blown away what any of our receivers actually did. Brandon Gibson played well as a rookie too. There was some post around here a little while ago that pointed out that Gibson lead all rookies in receptions over the last 8 weeks of the season, which I believe is somewhere around the time we traded Witherspoon for him.

I don't think think we necessarily should stand pat at receiver and I don't think that we have a true #1 option. But we are a little better off than just Avery and Amendola. Amendola was brought here primarily for returns, and only got as much time on the field as he did because of injuries to Robinson and Burton. Some people around here think of him as a poor man's Wes Welker. I don't know if I like him that much but I think he is decent enough as a #4 and was good on returns too.

As far as an assessment of your team goes, I don't know anywhere near as much about the Niners as you do the Rams. But I like Singletary as a coach and I think your defense has the potential to be scary. And watching Gore shred Arizona last December, he restored a healthy fear back into my heart that had been starting to fade.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jhigginsluckow View Post
    . Basically, I personally think Bradford will bust out, or at least he will not be a great QB.
    Thanks for the opinion, random internet guy.

Looking it up online, Amendola appears to be your 2nd WR. While he consistently breaks tackles on Madden against me (causing me to buy a total of 4 new controllers due to me chucking them), he hasn't done enough to at least gain any attention around the league.
    Yeah... maybe you should do a bit more research. Right now, Laurent Robinson, Keenan Burton and Brandon Gibson are all more likely to the Rams' #2 than Amendoloa. But, hey, who am I to argue with Madden.

As for your guards, I only remember the name Greco because I think of the Gieco Lizard lol. You've got issues at that position.
    Actually, with Jacob Bell and Hank Fraley, we're pretty solid there.

I always believed at the time you drafted them that neither Long nor Carriker would work out for you. And neither has really proved me wrong.
    Carriker's been injured, and you obviously haven't watched Long play.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said but I think the main area you slighted us was wide receiver. While this group certainly isn't on par with the '01 Rams, I think we have more talent than you know about. Laurent Robinson was off to a nice start last year, and if he had stayed healthy his numbers would have projected to somewhere around 900 yards over a whole season. Which would have blown away what any of our receivers actually did. Brandon Gibson played well as a rookie too. There was some post around here a little while ago that pointed out that Gibson lead all rookies in receptions over the last 8 weeks of the season, which I believe is somewhere around the time we traded Witherspoon for him.

As far as an assessment of your team goes, I don't know anywhere near as much about the Niners as you do the Rams. But I like Singletary as a coach and I think your defense has the potential to be scary. And watching Gore shred Arizona last December, he restored a healthy fear back into my heart that had been starting to fade.
    To be honest, I had looked at the WRs on NFL.com's depth chart. Robinson would have been a guy I remembered. I remember a few years back that draft night. I loved him as a prospect. Good size, speed, strength, and route-running, from what I watched of him. And he got snatched one pick ahead of SF and went to ATL. I think if he stays healthy, he COULD be that #1 that you speak of. As far as Gibson, there's a number of stories like that. Ryan Grant of GB lead the league for x amount of games for x amount of time. And he's being looked at to now be part of a two back system. NOT saying you said Gibson was your savior, just pointing out that that happens a bit more than expected.

For us, I like Sing as a person. As and x's and o's coach, he leaves a lot to be desired. He will need to rely on our coordinators, and when you have Jimmy Raye running the show, that's not good! Not much help in the draft either. Simply put, the ONE position he should be able to evaluate is LB. He didn't want Patrick Willis when we drafted him. I may be in the minority, but I have doubts on how long he'll remain the coach.

umm... oh. Gore. Again, funny to disagree with the respect you give, but he was a lesser version of Adrian Peterson last year, in a bad way. He had a few 70+ yard runs and that heavily influenced his YPC. Also, being 27 with 35 year old knees won't help him. But he has indeed done a good job for us - solid runner, receiver, and blocker.

anything anyone else wants to know, please don't be afraid to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Yeah... maybe you should do a bit more research. Right now, Laurent Robinson, Keenan Burton and Brandon Gibson are all more likely to the Rams' #2 than Amendoloa. But, hey, who am I to argue with Madden.

Actually, with Jacob Bell and Hank Fraley, we're pretty solid there.

Carriker's been injured, and you obviously haven't watched Long play.
    Far enough. I looked on nfl.com's depth chart. Bell and Fraley are solid, true there. I posted after you what I thought of Robinson, and no, Long hasn't been worth a number 2 pick.

sarcasm was nice tho 8) as if messageboards aren't what giving opinions are all about.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Well, like I said, I don't know too much about the Niners. If you say they are worse than I think they are, then that is great news as far as I'm concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Well, like I said, I don't know too much about the Niners. If you say they are worse than I think they are, then that is great news as far as I'm concerned!
    lol yea. i understand you don't know a whole lot about them. it's actually kinda funny you picked those two to complement us about. We have a good team, don't worry. I just think you picked the wrong reasons 8)

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I just have to say, you mentioned guys likes Randy McMichael and Jonathan Wade, but those guys were either released or allowed to leave in free agency already

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I just have to say, you mentioned guys likes Randy McMichael and Jonathan Wade, but those guys were either released or allowed to leave in free agency already
    ill admit, i did not know that. My point still remains tho. McMichael seems to have worn down, and Wade needs a good coach to pull the talent out of him.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I pretty much agree with your assessments. It's good to know the opinion of a person that's not attached to this team. Gives a different point of view.

Just a couple of things.

1) Our WR's are all still developing, and have good potential. But that's already been stated by another poster so I won't go into deatail about that. Laurent Robinson was looking good before he got injured.

2) Our guards are decent. Jacob Bell is a good pass blocker, but is not as huge factor in the run game due to his size. Hank Fraley is a bit better than average, but we could still improve there.

3) Chris Long deserves more than you give credit for. He was turning it up the last half of the season. It's true, that the production you see from him doesn't warrant a 2nd overall pick now, but he is going to be rock solid in the next couple of years. He's going to be a beast. Or at least, he has the potential to be.

4) Our SLB David Vobora is a hit for us. He was Mr. Irrelevant, and he's pretty damn good for being the last pick of the draft. But, he is good, and not great. He's a good player, but I don't think he's going to be a Pro-Bowler.

5) We need help in our secondary, especially our cornerbacks. We have basically no one behind Ron Bartell and Bradley Fletcher (who played really well in his rookie year this year, before he suffered a major injury.) Fletcher is a physical press corner who should develop into a great corner. But, we lack good depth behind them.

James Butler is decent. He's not spectacular.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Aren't we all?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Aren't we all?
    In a sense, yes. That's why it is important to back our opinions up with facts, rather than just saying "I think Bradford will be a bust."

RebelYell is offline Registered User

In a sense, yes. That's why it is important to back our opinions up with facts, rather than just saying "I think Bradford will be a bust."
    Knowing who the starters are and actually watching the team before offering an opinion is over-rated. I get most of my information from Madden, don't you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast