RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rivera, Rams are set for second interview

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/17/2006

Cam Cameron and Scott Linehan have completed their second round of interviews with the Rams. That leaves only Ron Rivera to be interviewed among the three finalists for the Rams' head-coaching job. And Rivera will get his second audience with team president John Shaw today in Los Angeles.

Barring an unexpected hitch, the Rams' next head coach could be in place by Friday, or even as early as Thursday.

Linehan, Miami's offensive coordinator, was considered the front-runner for the job following the first round of interviews. Rivera, the Chicago Bears' defensive coordinator, was believed to be a close second. Cameron, the San Diego Chargers' offensive coordinator, was a late entry into the Rams' coach search and a surprise survivor into one of the three finalist spots.

Cameron, 44, has been with the Chargers since 2002. Previously, he was head coach at Indiana University (1997-2001); quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins (1994-96); and assistant coach at the University of Michigan (1984-93).

Cameron would be a tough sell in St. Louis because his head-coaching record with the Hoosiers was only 18-37. His best record in five seasons in Bloomington was 5-6. At IU, Cameron did help develop quarterback Antwaan Randle El, now a wide receiver and punt returner for Pittsburgh, into an All-American.

This offseason, Cameron also has interviewed for the Houston Texans' head-coaching job, a position that's expected to go to Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

"I'm trying to get better each and every day," Cameron said, following his interview with the Texans. "I'm not near the coach I was 10 years year ago. I'm 100 times better than I was then, and I'm going to continue to get better and better."

Multiple sources told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday that Cameron has contacted at least one member of the holdover Rams staff about joining him in St. Louis. But head-coaching candidates frequently make such overtures, and that should not necessarily be interpreted to mean that Cameron has the job.

In San Diego, Cameron has helped create one of the league's most potent offenses, with running back LaDainian Tomlinson as the focal point.

This season, the Chargers failed to qualify for the playoffs but still finished 10th in total offense and fifth in points scored.

Despite continued speculation to the contrary, league sources say Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders - a former Rams assistant coach - is not a candidate to replace Mike Martz as head coach in St. Louis.

As for Martz, he was informed Tuesday by New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis that he no longer was under consideration for the Saints' head-coaching job. Reports now say that job is going to Dallas assistant head coach Sean Payton.

Martz interviewed with the Saints on Friday and Saturday.

"Obviously, I wasn't what Mickey was looking for," Martz said. "I thought it was a terrific situation. I was very impressed with their front office and how they do things. And I think (the interview) went very well."

Meanwhile, Rams interim head coach Joe Vitt was passed over for a head-coaching opportunity in New York when the Jets selected New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini. Vitt could not be reached to comment Tuesday.

In other developments:

John Matsko, who has spent the last seven seasons coaching the offensive line in St. Louis, has interviewed with Kansas City for the same position.

The Rams denied Atlanta permission to speak with offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild about the Falcons' quarterbacks coach post. Earlier, the Rams granted Buffalo permission to speak to Fairchild about the Bills' offensive coordinator job, but that occurred before head coach Mike Mularkey resigned.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Re: Rivera, Rams are set for second interview

I think that Rivera will have a great interview and we will find out tomorrow that he is the new head coach. Being the last interview is quite an advantage over Linhan and Cameron.

Leics_Ram is offline Registered User

The thing that worries me about Linehan is that he's been criticised by some in Miami for ignoring the run and calling too many trick plays.

They lost a couple of games thi season because of some strange play calling.

Sounds too much like Mike Martz for my liking....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Leics_Ram
    The thing that worries me about Linehan is that he's been criticised by some in Miami for ignoring the run and calling too many trick plays.

They lost a couple of games thi season because of some strange play calling.

Sounds too much like Mike Martz for my liking....
    I've read this too, but I just can't buy into it. In the three years Linehan spent in Minny, his running game finished 1st, 4th, and 18th. The 18th being 2004 when 4 different RBs started games averaging between 3.9 and 5.8 ypc. Then in Miami, he turned the 31st ranked running game into the 12th ranked running game with a rookie and a pothead.

The more I see from Linehan, the more I like him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod