Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rob Ryan fired by Cowboys

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rob Ryan fired by Cowboys

Ok so what does that have to do with the Rams? Well we are in the market for a DC and Fisher is very close to the Ryan family. What do you guys think, should we go after him?

On the last Jeff Fishers show, I got the feeling he hinted that he had a coach in mind for the job but could not comment yet. Well see...

Rammed is online now Registered User

Re: Rob Ryan fired by Cowboys

Please no, he brings the 3-4 with him. Why change the winning formula we have now and all the personel for it. Never been a fan of the 3-4 myself but that's personal preference.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Please no, he brings the 3-4 with him. Why change the winning formula we have now and all the personel for it. Never been a fan of the 3-4 myself but that's personal preference.
    And I think that fact alone would prevent him from being hired here.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I am not promoting Ryan, although I did mention his name as a possible DC in a thread earlier this year. I trust Fisher will find the right guy whether it be from within or outside.

However, I do find some humor in the comments about the 3-4 defense.

First off, I don't think Ryan or any other possible DC is going to come in and tell Fisher what type of defense to run.

Secondly, I doubt the son of Buddy Ryan knows a damn thing about the 46 defense a 4-3 defense a cover 2 or a cover 3 scheme. Yep, I'm sure all he knows about defense is the 3-4......right?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    The Rams need continuity. Ryan strikes me as a "my way" kind of guy. I'd rather see the Rams go with someone in-house or, alternatively, someone else from the Fisher "coaching tree."

Also... does Fisher really want a DC who could start a conversation with "hey... remember when my Dad punched you?"
    Ram187 likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Also... does Fisher really want a DC who could start a conversation with "hey... remember when my Dad punched you?"
    I've never heard about this! What happened?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    My bad... it was Kevin Gilbride who Buddy punched.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I read somewhere that in his 8 seasons as a DC none of those teams have ended up with a winning record...just saying. Dont really rate the guy at all, seems like an ass.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, no, probably not. Of course, I'd really be interested in Fisher's opinion.

PS: Yes, I remember the infamous 'Ryan punches OC Gilbride on sideline during 1994 game' scene.
    What an ogre!
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-09-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Tyop

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Secondly, I doubt the son of Buddy Ryan knows a damn thing about the 46 defense a 4-3 defense a cover 2 or a cover 3 scheme. Yep, I'm sure all he knows about defense is the 3-4......right?
    Good point, but his only work, in his own career, has been with the 3-4 defense. Hard to justify hiring someone who has never called a 4-3/4-6 D.

I have to disregard his past defense's standings because two were with with Cleveland and Oakland. After that, I haven't seen a Cowboys fan who likes him getting fired. Rob Ryan will be a good DC somewhere (KC?), I just don't think it will be with the Rams.

It's interesting, though - can the Rams run a 3-4? I think Quinn might be a good rush LB, and Long did it with Al Groh at Virginia, and played from standup position more often later in the season. Wade Phillips converted a former 4-3 D in Houston very quickly.

I might not be opposed to Rob Ryan experimenting with the Rams' D, I just don't think it'll happen.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post

I might not be opposed to Rob Ryan experimenting with the Rams' D, I just don't think it'll happen.
    I really oppose this. Why should we let anybody experiment with the one thing that works? I see no upside of changing our D to a 3-4, not a single one.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Good point, but his only work, in his own career, has been with the 3-4 defense. Hard to justify hiring someone who has never called a 4-3/4-6 D.

I have to disregard his past defense's standings because two were with with Cleveland and Oakland. After that, I haven't seen a Cowboys fan who likes him getting fired. Rob Ryan will be a good DC somewhere (KC?), I just don't think it will be with the Rams.

It's interesting, though - can the Rams run a 3-4? I think Quinn might be a good rush LB, and Long did it with Al Groh at Virginia, and played from standup position more often later in the season. Wade Phillips converted a former 4-3 D in Houston very quickly.

I've so often wanted to flirt with the idea of a 3-4, but never really come to being 100% with it. I mean Kendall Langford has already played in a 3-4 and can be a base DE, you plug in someone across from him (Jermelle Cudjo?) and Brockers at NT, then Quinn at pass rushing OLB, Laurinaitis and Dunbar in the middle along with Long as the other pass rushing OLB? Sounds scary and enticing, but it is dangerous to play with something that already works here.
    evil disco man likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram187 is offline Registered User

What ever Fischer/front office does or want,I am in agreement. Seems like Ryan was fired for a reason, crappy defenses. They have not made a statement on the field with their 3/4. I am a fan of this defense. I think we do have the personnel for the 3/4. Just need a DC to make it work. Ryan is not the answer.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Ryan and the 3-4 D should be a absolute no! you kidding me??

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Regardless of the fact that I think you're TOTALLY WRONG, it's nice to have you back, buddy!!
    evil disco man and Nick like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast