Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rob Ryan fired by Cowboys

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Rob Ryan fired by Cowboys

He's overrated in the opinion of people I've heard on NFL network. Now are they the gospel, no, but I think he's riding the coattails of his father and brother. Coaches who are really good stay in their jobs for a respectable period and don't bounce around from team to team. Bottom line, pass.

I'm still holding out hope for Lovie Smith if he doesn't land a HC job.

Go Rams!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Good point, but his only work, in his own career, has been with the 3-4 defense. Hard to justify hiring someone who has never called a 4-3/4-6 D.
    LOL

Ok, like I already stated clearly, I'm not promoting Ryan. I never really liked buddy. As for his sons, I do not like Rex. As far as Rob goes ....well whatever.

So once again, I'm NOT promoting Rob Ryan. Nor was I trying to justify a reason to hire him. I also stated that I trust Fisher will find the right guy.

And once again, like I said, I simply found it funny that we would automatically assume that Ryan only knows defense from the 3-4 perspective. NOT trying to justify him being hired.

On a side-note: I don't believe his only work in his entire career has been with the 3-4 defense. He has had numerous jobs on the defensive side of the ball. He worked under his dad at the AZ cards, and while I'm not 100% certain, I don't think they were running a 3-4 at that time. And once again I'm NOT trying to justify his hire.
    evil disco man likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Whether it's Rob Ryan's 3-4 or Lovie's Tampa 2 defense, the Rams roster just doesn't really suit either coaches scheme. The Tampa 2 is typically employed out of a 4-3 alignment (what the Rams use), but on pass plays the middle linebacker drops farther back in coverage. Even though Laurinaitis is a stud MLB, pass defense isn't exactly his forte and he might be exposed out there. Who know though, maybe Lovie could create some kind of hybrid defense that better suits the Rams roster.
    Rammed likes this.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Regardless of the fact that I think you're TOTALLY WRONG, it's nice to have you back, buddy!!
    Haha, he wouldn't be my first choice, but hey, it's fun to think about. I might be one of few who actually likes the Ryans.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I've so often wanted to flirt with the idea of a 3-4, but never really come to being 100% with it. I mean Kendall Langford has already played in a 3-4 and can be a base DE, you plug in someone across from him (Jermelle Cudjo?) and Brockers at NT, then Quinn at pass rushing OLB, Laurinaitis and Dunbar in the middle along with Long as the other pass rushing OLB? Sounds scary and enticing, but it is dangerous to play with something that already works here.
    Yeah, I was thinking about the 3-4 earlier this season just because it's fun to think about stuff like that I guess. For sure, Long would thrive, but I'm not so sure how well Quinn would work as an OLB.

Like you said, it's fun to think about, but so dangerous when you consider just how much they have invested in personnel for the current 4-3 system.

And no way would I want Lovie Smith's Tampa 2 system either. I just don't see how Laurinaitis being successful dropping back into pass coverage that much.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I say we need to see the tattoo on his arm before the interview process starts. Oh, Wait that's Rex!

Sorry!

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post

I'm still holding out hope for Lovie Smith if he doesn't land a HC job.

Go Rams!
    If we would want to change to a Tampa2 defence (and I do not believe that is the plan) then why not go for the real deal, and try to get Monte Kiffin?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    LOL

Ok, like I already stated clearly, I'm not promoting Ryan. I never really liked buddy. As for his sons, I do not like Rex. As far as Rob goes ....well whatever.

So once again, I'm NOT promoting Rob Ryan. Nor was I trying to justify a reason to hire him. I also stated that I trust Fisher will find the right guy.

And once again, like I said, I simply found it funny that we would automatically assume that Ryan only knows defense from the 3-4 perspective. NOT trying to justify him being hired.

On a side-note: I don't believe his only work in his entire career has been with the 3-4 defense. He has had numerous jobs on the defensive side of the ball. He worked under his dad at the AZ cards, and while I'm not 100% certain, I don't think they were running a 3-4 at that time. And once again I'm NOT trying to justify his hire.
    Ferter, quick question. Are you promoting or justify the Rams hiring Rob Ryan?
    Curly Horns and Tampa_Ram like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ferter, quick question. Are you promoting or justify the Rams hiring Rob Ryan?
    Oh yeah you's a funny guy! LOL

BTW: Congrats to you and yours on the baby boy! Now, enough with the wisecracks, I'm sure you have some diapers to change.

Nick likes this.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm wondering, was Fisher actually the one calling defensive plays this year?

If they wanted to hire from within, why haven't they promoted someone already? Are they waiting to see who's out there? Who is?

It looked like Blake was calling plays, but he was fired. If it was working so well, why do that?
    Last edited by evil disco man; -01-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.

clarasDK is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    If we would want to change to a Tampa2 defence (and I do not believe that is the plan) then why not go for the real deal, and try to get Monte Kiffin?
    There goes that plan.

@AdamSchefter: Per @Edwerderespn, the Dallas Cowboys have reached agreement with Monte Kiffin to become their defensive coordinator.

From twitter

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm free, and not to brag, but my defenses are hard to beat on Madden. Especially when i turn off-sides off, which I plan to do for the Rams. That way Quinn and Long and can just start sitting right behind the QB, as long as they don't touch him before the snap. Hopefully they don't run the wrong way when he snaps the ball, I hate when that happens.

In all seriousness, I don't want either of the Ryan's anywhere near this franchise. They seem like bad apples who can't shut their mouth. The way Rob talks, you'd think he's kind of the world. There's a difference between confidence and arrogance, and I don't like arrogance.
    sonnyjames and bradwill like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I really want Lovie Smith. He ran a cover 2/tampa 2 for so many years, and that Bears D has been good for so long. If Lovie was willing to slide back down the ladder, I'd sure as hell want him here.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

bradwill is offline Registered User

"I'll have a job in five minutes." - Rob Ryan

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I perfer the idea of being flexible...meaning a mix of 3/4 & 4/3 depending on down and distance and the opponent. But as a base 3/4, I don't think the Rams have the CBs or depth of LB in terms of speed and ability to stop the run consistant enough. Who would play NG? There is Long and Brock on the flanks with Laurinaitis as MLB--as just an idea of a 3/4 mix. But seriously the Rams have been going DE with personal...and how would a 3/4 factor against the 49whinners and Seaguls offenses? And thats the key--the Rams have to first scheme and take into account who is in their division first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12