Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rob Ryan: St. Louis Rams Must Avoid Hiring Loud, Overrated Defensive Coordinator

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Rob Ryan: St. Louis Rams Must Avoid Hiring Loud, Overrated Defensive Coordinator

by Tyson Langland

The St Louis Rams need continuity and familiarity in their next defensive coordinator, not the loud, boisterous Rob Ryan, who continues flaming out of lead jobs.
    In just their first year under head coach Jeff Fisher—and without the services of an official defensive coordinator—the Rams improved from 2011 finishes of No. 26 in points allowed and No. 22 in total yards allowed to No. 14 in both this season.
    With Gregg Williams, who was suspended for the 2012 season, not returning to St. Louis next season, the Rams began a search for a new defensive coordinator this offseason.
    That search has led to Ryan, who, according to ESPN, was in St. Louis Friday for a meeting with Fisher.
    While Fisher and Ryan have a history—Fisher played and coached under Rob's father, Buddy—a much better fit for these Rams can likely be found on the current coaching staff in St. Louis.
    Both assistant head coach Dave McGinnis and secondary coach Chuck Cecil have experience as defensive coordinators. In fact, Cecil was Fisher's defensive coordinator in Tennessee for the 2010 season.
    David Welker/Getty Images
    Sticking with someone on the current staff ensures the kind of continuity that a young, improving defense needs.
    A core of Chris Long (11.5 sacks in 2012), James Laurinaitis (142 total tackles), Robert Quinn (10.5 sacks), Cortland Finnegan (three interceptions), Janoris Jenkins (four interceptions, four defensive touchdowns) and Michael Brockers (four sacks, 2012 first-round pick) represents one of the best any NFL defense has to offer.
    In its first season together, the group helped transform the Rams defense from laughing stock to respectable.
    Bringing Ryan on board complicates matters.
    While an experienced coordinator, Ryan has primarily used the 3-4 front—a defensive look the Rams aren't currently ready to employ. The current personnel fits perfect for a 4-3 front. Ryan would be the one having to adjust, and that might not be a good thing.
    When you consider Ryan's defensive rankings over his last three NFL stops, it's easier to see why he's currently out of a job. Mike Sando of ESPN.com has the numbers.
    Over five years (2004-08) in Oakland, Ryan's defenses ranked 29th in points allowed and 23rd in yards allowed. With Cleveland for two years (2009-10), the Browns ranked 32nd in yards and 15th in points. And over the last two years in Dallas, the Cowboys finished No. 16 in yards and No. 18 in points.
    Should the Rams hire Rob Ryan as their next defensive coordinator?

Yes

19.0%

No

81.0%

Total votes: 2,152

The numbers get worse. In opposing passer rating, Ryan's defenses ranked in the bottom third of the NFL at all three stops. The same can be said for third-down percentage, yards per rush attempt and defensive EPA, or ESPN's expected points added statistic.
    Ryan, for all his volume and chest-beating, has been nothing more than an average defensive coordinator over the last decade or so.
    The Rams can and should do better.
    This is a defense on the cusp of being very, very good. Fisher and his defensive staff did well without an official coordinator in place this past season and handpicking someone from that group would seem to make the most sense.
    Hiring an outsider—especially one as overrated as Ryan—simply isn't the right move for a young Rams defense.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rob Ryan: St. Louis Rams Must Avoid Hiring Loud, Overrated Defensive Coordinator

What i can't understand for the life of me is why anyone thinks that they have a better idea than Fisher as to who would be best as our defensive coordinator. I would think that Fisher has earned the support of every single rams fan at this point and when it comes to both defense and coaching, he surely knows more than everyone on this board combined.

I find the historical rankings to be highly overated measures of coaching ability. For the millionth time on this board, i will cite the Bobby April example. Highly respected Rams special team coach. Horrendous performance under Martz for the Rams. Fire him screamed the fans, and fire him the Rams did. The following year (or within a year or so) he was special teams coach of the year for the Bills. Did he suddenly learn how to coach or did he have much better personnel and a greater commitment of emphasis from the head coach on special teams?

Ryan doesnt seem like a fit for many of the reasons that people have articulated on this board, but if Fisher thinks he is the best man for the job, i am behind that decision 100%.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez, MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Rob Ryan: St. Louis Rams Must Avoid Hiring Loud, Overrated Defensive Coordinator

I believe Fish wants to hire this guy due to his connection to the family. He is clearly familiar with (and likes) the Ryan's and is willing to over look the mans previously lackluster coaching results, to offer him this position. 'Good old boy' network stuff...nothing new in the NFL.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I believe Fish wants to hire this guy due to his connection to the family. He is clearly familiar with (and likes) the Ryan's and is willing to over look the mans previously lackluster coaching results, to offer him this position. 'Good old boy' network stuff...nothing new in the NFL.
    I love it how people think they have a right to accusations about people they don't know based solely on cliche.

Would Jeff Fisher prefer to work with someone with whom he is familiar and comfortable? Of course. Who wouldn't?

But to suggest that he'd "overlook" shortcomings and offer the job to someone who he didn't think was the best man for the job is downright insulting. You don't have to agree with all of his decisions, but I think Coach Fisher deserves to be trusted to act in the team's best interest.

As for the "good old boy network" comment, I suspect that is code for a more serious accusation, but I'll let you elaborate if you choose to do so.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    If that's really the case, we would've kept Gregg Williams to groom our defense since Fisher and Williams are "good friends".

While this article makes some points, it's really biased to the point where he looks as bad as Cam Cameron's playcalling.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    If that's really the case, we would've kept Gregg Williams to groom our defense since Fisher and Williams are "good friends".

While this article makes some points, it's really biased to the point where he looks as bad as Cam Cameron's playcalling.
    Are you suggesting the Ravens would be in the Super Bowl if they had kept Cameron?

Yodude is offline Registered User

Hiring an outsider—especially one as overrated as Ryan—simply isn't the right move for a young Rams defense.
    Apparently, Fisher agrees, since Ryan has not been hired. Under the circumstances, not sure why everyone is getting all bent out of shape.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Not even wasting my time reading a bleacher report article.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    What i can't understand for the life of me is why anyone thinks that they have a better idea than Fisher as to who would be best as our defensive coordinator. I would think that Fisher has earned the support of every single rams fan at this point and when it comes to both defense and coaching, he surely knows more than everyone on this board combined.

I find the historical rankings to be highly overated measures of coaching ability. For the millionth time on this board, i will cite the Bobby April example. Highly respected Rams special team coach. Horrendous performance under Martz for the Rams. Fire him screamed the fans, and fire him the Rams did. The following year (or within a year or so) he was special teams coach of the year for the Bills. Did he suddenly learn how to coach or did he have much better personnel and a greater commitment of emphasis from the head coach on special teams?

Ryan doesnt seem like a fit for many of the reasons that people have articulated on this board, but if Fisher thinks he is the best man for the job, i am behind that decision 100%.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, glad to hear from you. You have been missing in action for a while, at least from the threads I've been reading. Hope all is well and you been occupied with good stuff.

To your point about Rob Ryan; I've been one of the more vocal detractors, largely because I think he is overrated based on reports I've been hearing from analysts plus his record is dismal at best. Now I do agree that Jeff Fisher is FAR more equipped to decide whom he wants as his DC and I am completely willing to accept his choice if that is it. Plus I will root as hard as anyone for him to succeed. But its like players, we all have our faves and while we want whats best for the team we hope our "hero" does the job. For example would you want a nobody running back to score a winning a TD or would you like to have SJax do it. Of course the outcome is the same, but you get a good feeling when someone like SJax is the hero. The same applies to draft picks if the Rams choose a player you've been following through the process and think would be good for the team. In short, its validation of us as fans. Sorry to get psychological here, "but our time is up, and we can continue this in our next session".

Glad you're back. Go Rams!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Are you suggesting the Ravens would be in the Super Bowl if they had kept Cameron?
    Heavens no, they wouldn't have beat the Broncos or even the Colts if Cam Cameron was still OC for them. Props to Caldwell for bringing that offense up to speed and knowing Rice's existence.
    ZiaRam likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

MDE, thanks for the post. Good one as usual from you. Love your insights.

Like you, i share trepidation on Ryan, as i tried to articulate. I have no problem with any fan thinking that Ryan isnt a good choice. My only point here is that if Fisher thinks he is the best man for the job, i am behind it. You seem to agree and on that basis, we are on the same page.

Speculation is a great part of participating on this board. But stats are misleading in many ways and one of my mantra's in life is to hire professionals and let them do their job. In the immortal words of bill parcells (who i hate), you are what your record says you are. Fishers record with the rams and otherwise is pretty darn good. That doesnt mean he doesnt make decisions that dont work out well, we all do because we are human. I just think we are in a different era of rams football in that we finally have a supportive and deep pocketed owner who is 100% committed to teams success, and REAL football people running the organization.

Schedule wise, doing my best to participate, still reading every day, but these are crazy days in the M and A world.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Interesting that you chose the quote from Parcell's that you did because I used that quote responding to a board poster who disagreed with my position on Ryan. Clearly "great minds think alike". As a 45 year Ram Fan I can truly say, yes we are in a differenet era of Rams football, but I feel it's more of a return to the days when Don Klosterman and Jack Faulkner were in charge (REAL football people as you say).

Go Rams!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Can't say I'd want this gone-to-seed biker gasbag to marry into my family but his incompetence is highly exaggerated here.

Enough of this 3/4 baloney. Ryan ran a 4/3 for his longest stretch as a DC , the 5 yrs in OAK. His pass D improved rapidly there from bottom feeders to top ten & stayed there for his tenure.Even CLEVE jumped 11 spots in pass D from year 1 to 2 under Ryan. And when he had a decent scoring offense to help as in DAL '11 & the players to do it, he got top ten run D numbers.Did the personnel on all 3 teams at least partially dictate what he was able to do ? Of course. Just as personnel acquisition/development, health, and overall team performance (both The Raiders and Browns were spectacularly bad on offense) affect any coach/unit.

In short, the guy is probably as competent as any available option, philosophically flexible, and it's not hard to see his aggressive style as being a viable fit for the current Rams D personnel and Fisher in general. I'm not inclined to say Fisher knows best on blind faith but there's no smoking gun of incompetence or reason to fear Ryan upsetting the schematic continuity applecart .
    VegasRam likes this.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Rob and Rex Ryan got that from their dad, Buddy! As the sons are much more worse than the father. Both got their loud and obnoxious attitude from their dad!
    August School is Fall!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

He's a biker?? Hire the guy...why the discussion?

And while he is certainly colorful, (might even concede to borderline obnoxious), I don't think he's a gasbag at all. Like evryone says, though, in Fisher I trust.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast