AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Robbing Hoods will have their Merri Man

Lights out, hope flickering

Merriman appeals drug ban; attorney blames supplement

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 24, 2006
    Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman will play at least the next two weeks as he awaits a hearing to appeal his pending four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Merriman, the 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, tested positive for a banned substance earlier this month. His hearing is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 7.
    Yesterday, Merriman's attorney said he believed the substance for which Merriman tested positive was the anabolic steroid nandrolone. David Cornwell, who has represented numerous NFL players in such appeals, said he believed nandrolone was, unbeknownst to Merriman, in a nutritional supplement Merriman has taken for some time.
    “He is not taking steroids,” Cornwell said. “ ... Shawne took supplements and has taken supplements for quite some time. He did not go into the back alley somewhere and put a needle in his butt for steroids.”
    Merriman was at the team's complex yesterday. He addressed teammates and coaches and late in the afternoon spoke to the media.
    “Wow!” Merriman said quietly, having prepared a statement beforehand but then speaking without notes. “This whole thing that has happened has been a hard process. But I'm dealing with it. ... I'm not running from this situation. I'm not running from anybody. I'm going to be straight up and honest from (the start) and try to deal with it accordingly. Hopefully, nobody makes any kind of judgment or anything that makes me guilty for anything, because nothing has been done wrong on my part.
    “I have no reason to do anything wrong, especially when I'm already in the spotlight and doing things and trying to present to people the right and wrong way to go about things. Obviously, this is a mistake that has to be dealt with correctly, and hopefully no judgment is made before anything else comes out.”
    He did not take questions.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-24-2006 at 01:52 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Robbing Hoods will have their Merri Man

anabolic steriod nanderlone....what the heck is that for ? Recovery is my guess.

general counsel is offline Registered User

What i dont understand is the nature of the appeal in the context of the admission. The nfl is NOT a court of law and the same due process rules dont apply. I appreciate that this is simply a collective bargaining issue, but i dont see how a guy who has ADMITTED taking a banned substance can be allowed to play pending appeal. Appeal to do what, to say that he "wasnt shooting needles in an alley."

Who cares whether he was shooting needles or not. HE has admitted that a banned substance was in his body. How did it get there? Alien anal insertion? If he was denying he took anything, i would understand innocent until proven guilty, but he is not denying it, rather seems to be suggesting that it was a mistake or his own ignorance. Either way, its ridiculous that he plays while he is under appeal. The presumption should shift once he makes the admission that he made.

Anyone want to bet a penny on the results of the appeal. He has NO SHOT of any kind of prevailing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    What i dont understand is the nature of the appeal in the context of the admission. The nfl is NOT a court of law and the same due process rules dont apply. I appreciate that this is simply a collective bargaining issue, but i dont see how a guy who has ADMITTED taking a banned substance can be allowed to play pending appeal. Appeal to do what, to say that he "wasnt shooting needles in an alley."

Who cares whether he was shooting needles or not. HE has admitted that a banned substance was in his body. How did it get there? Alien anal insertion? If he was denying he took anything, i would understand innocent until proven guilty, but he is not denying it, rather seems to be suggesting that it was a mistake or his own ignorance. Either way, its ridiculous that he plays while he is under appeal. The presumption should shift once he makes the admission that he made.

Anyone want to bet a penny on the results of the appeal. He has NO SHOT of any kind of prevailing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Delay tactics? Rope-a-dope? call it what you want. He will be suspended.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    So the guy still gets to play even though both teats came back positive for a KNOWN baned substance. A local sports radio host stated this morning that any player can take "SUPPLEMENTS" to a lab and have them tested for baned substances. Marriroid is just delaying his suspension and it will come at a crucial time when the team needs him the most.

I say the RAMS run right at him and wear him down.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

thoey is offline Registered User

Doesn't matter. Whether it was our boy or theirs, they are still due the same due process established by their "court of appeals". We just have to play better.

Hey Big 'O, how ya feeling?? Wanna make up for some critical words said last game?
    This space for rent...

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

No big deal from a Ram's fan perspective. We expected at this time last week to be facing the Chargers with Merriman so its not as if we had been planning to play with him not on the field. He is only one player and I can guarantee one player won't be the difference in this game (unless Big Game decides he wants to be a monster once again). As a fan though I am pretty distraught about this because I really enjoyed watching Merriman play and thinking he was one of the true raw talents that this league has seen at linebacker. Hopefully it turns out to be a mistake although once one hears these reports nowadays they almost always turn out to be true.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Alien anal insertion?
    HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

I can't help it. Now everytime they call this guys name I'll be cracking up! Hope the beer doesn't shoot out of my nose! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB1603 View Post
    No big deal from a Ram's fan perspective. We expected at this time last week to be facing the Chargers with Merriman so its not as if we had been planning to play with him not on the field. He is only one player and I can guarantee one player won't be the difference in this game (unless Big Game decides he wants to be a monster once again). As a fan though I am pretty distraught about this because I really enjoyed watching Merriman play and thinking he was one of the true raw talents that this league has seen at linebacker. Hopefully it turns out to be a mistake although once one hears these reports nowadays they almost always turn out to be true.
    Well, if your not cheating, your not trying; where have I heard that before?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey