Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Per stltoday


    New York Giants defensive tackle Fred Robbins has agreed to terms on a three-year with the St. Louis Rams. He will sign the deal later this afternoon.

    Here is background on Robbins from Sunday’s Post-Dispatch:

    Defensive tackle Fred Robbins played a key role in the New York Giants’ run to the Super Bowl during the 2007 season. Now the Rams are about to find out if the 10-year NFL veteran has anything left in the tank.

    Robbins, who turns 33 later this month, doesn’t fit the ideal profile of coach Steve Spagnuolo in terms of adding younger free agents. But at the recent NFL scouting combine, Spagnuolo said he was open to the concept of sprinkling in a veteran here and- there on the roster.

    Robbins, 6-feet-4 and 325 pounds, is known as a stout run defender who can play both the 3-technique and nose-tackle positions on the line.

    “We’re determined to get bigger up front,” said a Rams official.

    Robbins, who played his college ball at Wake Forest, spent his first four NFL seasons with Minnesota before joining the Giants in 2004. Robbins also was noted for his good inside push in New York, registering five and one-half sacks in three consecutive seasons from 2006 through 2008. Some of his best play came in ‘07 and ‘08 when Spagnuolo was the Giants’ offensive coordinator.

    But injuries started to catch up with Robbins midway through the 2008 season. He played part of that season with two broken hands and then suffered a shoulder injury, over-compensating for the hand injuries. Following the ‘08 season, he underwent knee surgery.

    Robbins had a modest two sacks this past season, but blocked three extra points and had five deflected passes. He was relegated to backup duty over the final third of a season.


  2. #2
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Fred Robbins has signed a three-year, $12 million deal with the Rams, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
    -- Source: Fanball.com, March 08, 2010
    Good, much needed, solid addition IMO.

  3. #3
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,760
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    I know we are wanting to add young players through the draft, and rising talents through free agency. But without any decent young players available this is a good depth pick up on the defensive line that instantly improves the defensive tackle rotation. But this is only step one in improving the DL

  4. #4
    jackson3909's Avatar
    jackson3909 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    good, Robbins is huge and i have watched many of his games since i live in New York, and the reason why the giants had 50 sacks during those two years was beacuse Robbins commands double teams even triple teams. Also he was tops in the league in blocks even though he is old i belive he can have 3 good years left if healthy. the guards and centers will block him allowing for long or little to get there sacks in.

    while this doesnt gaurente that bradford is the pick now it makes much easier for the rams to do so.

  5. #5
    punahou's Avatar
    punahou is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HAWAII
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    So IMO yet another blunder by spag-dontnuolo.

    Yet again another signing of someone associated with the eagles or giants.

    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.

    This also signifies to me that we are passing on who might be an NFL icon in the years to come- Suh.

  6. #6
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,070
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    So IMO yet another blunder by spag-dontnuolo.

    Yet again another signing of someone associated with the eagles or giants.

    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.

    This also signifies to me that we are passing on who might be an NFL icon in the years to come- Suh.
    Why would this mean we pass on Suh? Spags likes to rotate his defensive line in order to keep them fresh. To me adding Suh is still the best thing to do. That will give us Carriker,Ryan,Robbins,Scott and Suh at defensive tackle. Any chance with the departure of Little that the Rams possibly use Carriker some at DE?
    Just Fix It

  7. #7
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    So IMO yet another blunder by spag-dontnuolo.

    Yet again another signing of someone associated with the eagles or giants.

    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.

    This also signifies to me that we are passing on who might be an NFL icon in the years to come- Suh.
    Oh, Ye of little faith!

    The reason these teams bring in players like Robbins is because they are indeed familiar with them! I can't see that there's anything wrong with that. Steve Spagnuolo has had a history in Philadelphia and New York. In case you've forgotten, he put together a mean secondary in Philly and the best defense in the league for NY's Championship season. Further, Fred Robbins was an integral part of that DL rotation. The benefit is that other than medical stuff, the evaluative process is more or less complete. Spagnuolo knows what he's getting himself into with a proven commodity who will bring the veteran leadership that so many pined for (especially on Defense) for the past season.

    He has been a part of a rotation for years which means he is going to be more 'fresh' than an every down DT of the same age. It's the run support and veteran leadership we so sorely need as a part of our rotation.

    As to your other comments regarding Suh, you shouldn't read too far into this. We got a run-stuffing DT for our rotation in the same way that we got a veteran QB in Feeley.Suh is much more of a 'read-and-react' player who can play on most downs. Just because we have Feeley to potentially start the season doesn't mean that we won't look long and hard at Bradford and the same is true for Donkey Kong.

  8. #8
    Ramblin` Ram's Avatar
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nation of Rams
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,401
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.
    Laurent Robinson,Jason Brown,Billy Bajema,Mike Karney,Paris Lenon,Quincy Butler,Larry Grant...yeah signing Giants & Eagles cast offs is all they do..

    out of all the players who the Rams have signed since Spags & Billy D took over they have predominantly got their starters from elsewhere and their back-ups from the Eagles & Giants. id take the Eagles and Giants back ups over the back ups Linny left us with...Dahl over Chavous for example. my bad.. i forgot Chavous was a starter for us..

    p.s isnt about 90% of the players on the free agency market a player their previous team doesnt want?
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-08-2010 at 06:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    So IMO yet another blunder by spag-dontnuolo.
    How is signing an experienced rotational DT a blunder.

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Yet again another signing of someone associated with the eagles or giants.
    Yea it ticks me off as well that we sign people that are already up to speed on the plays and require less training time.

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.
    Danny made an immediate impact. Gibson was making an impact until he got hurt. Robbins won't play every down but with his experience and talent he is probably already #1 on the depth chart.

    The sad state of the Rams is that Eagles and Giants rejects are better than a lot of our current starters.

    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    This also signifies to me that we are passing on who might be an NFL icon in the years to come- Suh.
    I disagree. In a system like Spags I don't think there is any free agent we could sign that would stop us from drafting Suh. The only thing that will stop us from drafting Suh is a decision to improve the other side of the ball first.

    IMHO

  10. #10
    rNemesis's Avatar
    rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nassau
    Age
    29
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Way to clarify that for him, Rambunctious. This is nothing to panic about , guys. they know each other well and as stated earlier means less training time and quicker results on the field. This is veteran depth at worst and excellent help at best.

  11. #11
    kman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    I like this...hes not THAT old for a DT...and I couldnt be happier with the notion of getting bigger up front..This guy is a big boy..Ive been clamoring for some big fat slobs in the middle for years now! I feel like we still have lingering leftovers from Lovie's, quick but undersized crap..this doesnt mean we wont get Suh..the problem with the rams is we got backups starting..guys like Ryan, and i hate to say it, maybe even Carriker, could be career backups...with Robbins and Suh, we might just have bonfide starters in a crucial postion..same thing at WR..Avery is good, but hes not a true #1, where we have him..hes a good #2.....thats why we go 1-15..

  12. #12
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by Punahou View Post
    So IMO yet another blunder by spag-dontnuolo.

    Yet again another signing of someone associated with the eagles or giants.

    I do not like the fact that it seems all this regime of coaches and management can do is sign players that the eagles and giants don't want.

    This also signifies to me that we are passing on who might be an NFL icon in the years to come- Suh.
    Rather sad to see you have so little respect for the Coach.

  13. #13
    unorthodox1999's Avatar
    unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    645
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    How many guys does Spagnuolo think its gonna take to teach Suh some good stuff??..Geesh!

  14. #14
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,752
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    To add a different perspective to this signing; it may signal a warning about the rehab of Adam Carricker. Time will tell of course, but Robbins is a good get and we should look ahead to the draft where we'll be adding true starters for many years to come. Good move Spags and Devaney.

    Go Rams!

  15. #15
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,623
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Robbins agrees to 3 year deal with Rams

    I like it. I think if we go with Bradford, Feeley can certainly help him learn the WCO. If we take Suh, Robbins can certainly be a role model for him because of the experience and the fact that he knows Spags' system. Those are, at the least, some of the things they bring to the table. Although its frustrating not to see us sign big name players, I honestly can say I'm happy we didn't go that route because the big name players that were available this year weren't that great to begin with and/or they were much older. I think if there were truly players worth grabbing, worth the money, I trust Devaney to be all over that. I really believe we'd spend the cash if they felt it was worth it...


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Similar Threads

  1. Thomas Chat--Jan 6
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
  2. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  4. Postgame With Gordo, Dec. 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
  5. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •