general counsel is offline Registered User

robert thomas-lessons in the draft

For the millionth time the lesson is driven home. When you reach to draft for need, the crapout risk goes up dramatically, as does the risk of underperformance. I dont put alex barron in that category at all since i dont believe anyone could call it a reach at #19, but thomas was clearly a reach where we picked him. I understand why we did it and i am not criticizing, merely making an observation.

Isnt it interesting how in the nfl cap era, each bad decision has multiple impacts since you cant just buy your way out of problems like you do in other sports or businesses. Why did robert thomas happen? Answer: Jamie Duncan was a bust of biblical magnitude.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: robert thomas-lessons in the draft

Yes. For every diamond in the rough that makes it big, there are 4 or more can't miss, sure thing, don't last in the nfl, busts. No matter where they are picked, traded for or whatever.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I am just glad we don’t have Clevelanditis it seems like they draft high every year and their draft picks never reach their potential.

There are several factors that determine if a player will work out or not such as:

1. Self motivated player. (Some come in with a load of talent but never progress)

2. Adjustability to the system - (Some come in getting by with great talent and they never wind up learning the system/technique).

3. Health - (Wohlabaugh and Turley both had a clear bill of health when joining the Rams but their contracts cut short by injuries)

4. Team player - Coachable, willing to adapt, and fits in well with the team. (See TO and Moss for a load of talent detrimental attitude)

I have seen other teams that have a lot more to complain about then us and I don’t think Thomas is a major loss. Would we have missed him if he went down for the season? No. If we wanted to cut him we may have had to eat some salary. I look at it as a straight out cut. If this other DB gets cut next week in favor of someone else we think will benefit the team I will think nothing of it. Faulk was our backup inside and Chillar on the outside. We have three solid starting LBs. This DB is not taking Garrett’s spot, it was definitely his preseason to shine or get cut.

I like one of Zigs posts about the future outlook of this team. We are positioned well for a few more years. If this turns out not to be the year we will still be in a good position next year to make a run.

I am satisfied with the job our FO has done in coming up with players. Every team has a few bad seeds at positions that never bare fruit.

Looking forward to an exciting season.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-04-2005 at 10:41 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree 100%. look at it as a straight cut player. if the guy we got turns out to do anything at all, its gravy. Meanwhile, we get some cap relief for next year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

You Guys Are Making Thomas Out To Be The Biggest Bust In Rams Draft History,i Dont Think He Turned Out Like We Had Hoped But He Wasnt Awful Either, I Mean The Draft Is A Crapshoot,you Just Dont Know.we Have 3-#1 Draft Picks On Our Defensive Line And We Still Cross Our Fingers Ever Time The Other Team Runs The Ball.i Repeat You Just Dont Know

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

You hit the nail right on the head GC. The best picks seem to come when you don't have a vacant starting spot in the starting lineup.

There are several perfect examples of this on the current Rams roster. Steven Jackson, Kevin Curtis, Shaun McDonald, Leonard Little, Anthony Hargrove, Pisa, Jerametrius, and Travis Fisher were all 'depth picks.'

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Why did robert thomas happen? Answer: Jamie Duncan was a bust of biblical magnitude.
    Actually, both Thomas and Duncan played their first seasons as Rams together. We didn't have a year of Duncan, and then decide to draft Thomas after seeing Duncan's inability.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Thomas turned out to be a bust, but I'm not so sure the draft pick AT THE TIME was a bust.

We needed to shore up the defense. Thomas was one of the best linebackers in the history of UCLA. I liked the pick at the time, it just didn't pan out. Lots of picks happen that way.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Isnt it interesting how in the nfl cap era, each bad decision has multiple impacts since you cant just buy your way out of problems like you do in other sports or businesses.general counsel
    Excellent observation GC.

As I grow older, and continue my study of war and business, I realize more and more that all too often it is the little things undone, attitudes gone astray, due diligence not done, that have great impact on final results.

In product development, the effort of the engineering team early on, pays huge dividends down the road. A weak team develops a weak product, one which the final users (customers) will most often reject.

I have learned, and am still learning, the importance of giving 100% in all my efforts. The little things I've left undone have come back to haunt me.