Rambos is offline Registered User

Robinson Making a Statement

Robinson Making a Statement
    Saturday, August 22, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Text A A A | RSS | Print | ShareThis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Of the many moves the Rams made during the past offseason, from hiring a new head coach to bringing in big dollar free agents and picking near the top of the NFL Draft, there was one that perhaps flew under the radar without proper acclaim.

It certainly didn’t garner any headlines on ESPN, barely qualifying for bottom line status but on April 6, the Rams swapped their fifth and sixth round picks to Atlanta for the Falcons’ fifth and sixth round picks and receiver Laurent Robinson.

At the time, it seemed like a low-risk, high reward move. And though there is a lot of football left to be played before anyone can stamp the high reward portion of that deal, Robinson is certainly off to a promising start.

“I feel good,” Robinson said. “I’m just working hard every day in practice, going out there trying to be the best I can be everyday, listening to the coach…I mean, and just being coachable and going out there and executing. The offense is great, I’m very confident and comfortable in it, and hopefully I can just continue on in the regular season.”

Soon after top receiver Donnie Avery was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot, the onus fell on Robinson as one of the young receivers behind Avery to step up and fill the void in this preseason.

Robinson had already earned his way into the starting lineup and was getting the work opposite Avery as a starter in practice when Avery suffered the injury.

But with Avery out, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo made it clear he was looking for any of his young receivers to stand up and make a statement.

With Avery projected toward a return sometime around the season opener at Seattle, Robinson appears to be the one looming the largest.

“It’s a great opportunity here for me,” Robinson said. “Hopefully I can just step right in, make some plays, and help the team win anyway I can whether that’s by running, blocking, or catching the ball.”

In Friday night’s loss to the Falcons at the Edward Jones Dome, Robinson made his presence felt with five catches for 65 yards in about two quarters of play.

Along the way, Robinson hauled in a difficult 25-yard catch and showed excellent hands on some short and intermediate slant routes. Further, Robinson showed the ability to pick up yards after the catch, an imperative trait for any receiver in the West Coast Offense.

In two preseason games encompassing about three quarters of play, Robinson has been targeted 10 times and come up with seven catches for 117 yards and has been without question the team’s go to receiver.

While Robinson says he doesn’t hold a grudge against the Falcons for shipping him to the Rams, he did acknowledge that he had a little something extra for them Friday night.

That chip doesn’t come in the form of a grudge so much as Robinson simply wants to prove to anyone and everyone that he can play at a high level in the NFL.

In his rookie year with Atlanta, Robinson flashed some promise with 37 catches for 437 yards and a touchdown in 15 games.

But Robinson had a setback last season when a hamstring injury landed him on injured reserve and he played on only six games. He caught five passes for 52 yards and ultimately missed eight games because of injury.

The adjustment to St. Louis hasn’t come that easy for Robinson, either. He was a bit taken aback by the trade to the Rams and says he had trouble going from Atlanta’s system to the style being installed by Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur in St. Louis.

Robinson even acknowledges that he wasn’t where he needed to be when he arrived in St. Louis. When the team parted ways for the summer, though, Robinson set about getting his swagger back.

That meant long workouts and keeping his nose in the playbook. When he got back to St. Louis, Robinson felt like a changed man.

“I think I went home and I just trained and just got my confidence back,” Robinson said, “After the trade I guess I wasn’t really all that focused. Now I got my focus back and my confidence up and I’m ready to play.”

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has taken notice of the difference as well, particularly after Friday night’s performance.

“I see a competitive guy,” Spagnuolo said. “When he first got here in the spring like a lot of guys, he was feeling his way through. It was a new team, it was a new system, but I thought he played really well last night. It was easy to see that.”

If things continue at the rate they’re going now, Robinson will get every opportunity to prove himself as a starter in this league. That’s all he really ever wanted.

“I’m just getting a lot more comfortable playing and making catches,” Robinson said. “In the OTAs I wasn’t doing so well but now I’m just a lot more comfortable and confident so things are going well for me.”

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Robinson Making a Statement

I really think this kid will surprise a lot of people this year. Good hands and his routes seem to be smooth.

Go Rams

Keenum is offline Registered User

It's been a great move by us so far. I feel if the O-line can step up and give Bulger time, there will be many chances to find Robinson deep.

jdh008 is offline Registered User

Just about the only positive that can ever be taken from an injury is that other players have an opportunity to step up into bigger roles. Maybe Donnie's injury is Robinson's chance.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I think that he can be something special. Just to think what the rams wide receivers will look like this year with Avery and Robinson linning up opposite each other. Should be exciting, I.M.O it can be something special. I can not help, but get excited at the possiblities, who do you guys think will play the slot. I think it will be Burton or Ronald Curry.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think we might have pulled off a nice trade. He played well his rookie year got hurt in his second. I like his size and his hands. He really comes off the line quick and gets some space to make the catch.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I like Robinson a lot. He's got that Larry Fitzgerald style of play in him. I'm not saying he's the next Fitz, but he's going to be that target for the Rams.

I think the trio of Avery, Robinson and Burton will end up being quite a good combination.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I like Robinson a lot. He's got that Larry Fitzgerald style of play in him. I'm not saying he's the next Fitz, but he's going to be that target for the Rams.

I think the trio of Avery, Robinson and Burton will end up being quite a good combination.
    He does have dreads, wear number 11, have the same size and build, and have almost the exact facial features
    RamsFan16

cfh128 is offline Registered User

He cut off his dreads