Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: RockinRam's Post-Game Thoughts

RockinRam is offline Registered User

RockinRam's Post-Game Thoughts

I know, I know it is only the first pre-season game. No need to panic...yet.

However, a 3-38 lackluster start is not what we all wanted to see from a new and revamped Ram's football team.

Positives:

1) Kendall Langford is a strong defensive tackle. He has a big presence in the interior. He was throwing guys around and had a nice run stuffing play in the backfield.

2) Robert Turner looked like he anchored the interior pretty well.

3) Robert Quinn is very, very quick and will have a monster year.

4) Austin Pettis had a nice couple grabs.

5) Janoris Jenkins had tight coverage all-day, and almost had an interception but Luck's ball was very well thrown.

6) Kendricks had a few nice grabs.

So-So's:

1) Bradford had a very unspectacular average day. He didn't look good and he didn't look bad. He looked like your run of the mill average QB. He made a few short passes but those are expected of him. His only 2 challenging throws were both incomplete.

2) Courtland Finnegan had an average day.

3) Saffold, Ojinnaka and Dahl were all OK.

4) Brockers had one nice push on one play, and then disappeared.

5) Conrath anchored pretty well on some plays and then got moved around on others.

Negatives:

1) Jason Smith. This guy is just not going to improve.

2) Isiah Pead didn't really stand-out for me. The run blocking was sub-par but Pead didn't impress me too much.

3) Clemens had a very shaky performance.

4) 2nd and 3rd string O-line is a big weakness.

5) Givens dropped a deep catchable ball.

6) The secondary and outside linebackers weren't impressive.

We still have a long ways to go. This team is still far away from being ready for Week 1.

Andrew Luck looked great on the other hand. His presence in the pocket, his footwork, his intangibles were all on great display today.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: RockinRam's Post-Game Thoughts

Let me save you guys the time :

1) We sucked
    MoonJoe and Tampa_Ram like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

In summary :

Jason Smith. This guy is just not going to improve.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Not a happy camper after spending two hours on a nice day watching this game. Yes, pre-season scores mean nothing, but one still looks for good execution from both units, cohesion on the offense and defense and numerous positives. We've got a long way to go.

Bradford was OK in his limited time, as was Jackson. They're the least of our worries. I thought the defensive line did a good job applying pressure for much of the contest. Austin Pettis stepped up with several real nice catches and showed maybe it's hardly a foregone conclusion he'll be cut. Kendricks and Quinn also played well.

Other than that, not much to speak of positively. The defense broke down on the very first play from scrimmage (allowing us to hear an unending barrage of "Luck is the next Dan Marino") all freakin' week, and regressed from there. The secondary was a train wreck, allowing guys to get open all afternoon. False starts- an old story. Pead showed me nothing; I have to hope this was as much a byproduct of poor run blocking than anything else. Not a whole lot out of the receivers collectively.

Hopefully, no major injuries to speak of. And next week needs to be better.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Frustrating, embarrassing, hard game to watch. I know it's the first preseason contest, but I'm extremely worried about the OL. They were completely ineffective. Few holes opened for the running game, and a lousy job of protecting Bradford, who took several hits.

Scott Wells can't start playing soon enough. I'm hoping he can help pull things together. A repeat of what we saw last year will make for a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Frustrating, embarrassing, hard game to watch. I know it's the first preseason contest, but I'm extremely worried about the OL. They were completely ineffective. Few holes opened for the running game, and a lousy job of protecting Bradford, who took several hits.

Scott Wells can't start playing soon enough. I'm hoping he can help pull things together. A repeat of what we saw last year will make for a long season.
    Maybe with the return of C Scott Wells we can slide current C Robert Turner to LG.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

The funniest thing is we let go of the worst CB in the NFL, Justin King, and he actually has a good game and leads the game with 6 tackles. We are just pegged with some sort of unlucky vibe.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Maybe with the return of C Scott Wells we can slide current C Robert Turner to LG.
    They need to do something, it's going to be interesting to see what this coaching staff comes up with cuz this was a train wreck.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The funniest thing is we let go of the worst CB in the NFL, Justin King, and he actually has a good game and leads the game with 6 tackles. We are just pegged with some sort of unlucky vibe.
    Wait till he faces a team with a quality Oline and a receiver with the skillset of Torrey Smith, he'll be back to reality.

We should be fine next game, from what I saw from Fisher, he didn't even coach them up so hopefully his leadership will come in handy next game.

BEER is offline Registered User

I give it three years. Well will contend for a superbowl. In the short term i give us half season to start coming alive.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Positives

*I actually like what I saw from Pead once he settled down. He looked great when he got to the edges and his quickness is very evident even on film.

*Overall good game from Kendricks and Pettis both of which made some nice catches.

* Robert Quinn looked FAST. Langford showed some nice flashes.

*UDFA Calvin Middleton looked like he would be a good third down option at running back. Nick Johnson also looked really good at WR.

Negatives

* J Smith

* Defensive calls seemed a little off, like the head coaches were relying completely on the pass rush until the very end of the game. Also, the secondary looked like they were playing well off the receivers even on third in short in obvious passing situations. Players in general looked to be confused and out of position.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

The Rams for the most part sucked today. Luck played like a seasoned vet making the rounds.

But lets looks at it this way.

Indy's win ended a streak of seven straight losses in preseason openers and was its most lopsided since a 35-0 victory over Washington in 1966.

Embarassing loss for us yes, but Indy has lost the last 7 preseason openers, not as badly as we did of course, but still lost. And what happened come regular season? Playoffs every year. at least 12 wins every year(except for last year of course).

Trust me, watching the game tonight filled me with the optimism sinking, dread filled, heart wrenching feeling we all felt. But i am trying to stay positive, it is only preseason. We all know doing great in preseason means jack squat come regular season. So im going to have a few more drinks, think of things that arn't related to the Rams, and wait till regular season comes before i believe the sky is falling. Though it is very hard after watching that cruel creature called the Rams. As i learned when i was young, if your going to mess up, mess up bad. You learn more from a massive screw up then a small one.

GO RAMS!!!!!
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -08-12-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Rambos likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I don't know what game you guys watched to see any positives. Did Bradford complete a pass over 10 yards? Our longest reception was 13 yards. We couldn't run the ball. Both lines sucked. The secondary can't even play zone. Luck and stanton carved em up like they were all-pros. So much for all this competition bs we've been hearing about from fisher. And what about all this confidence fisher supposedly portrays? That sure didn't look like a confident bunch to me. There was no sense of urgency, no continuity, no discipline, no chemistry.

Fisher, you look like an old hack! Maybe you should have stayed retired!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I don't know what game you guys watched to see any positives. Did Bradford complete a pass over 10 yards? Our longest reception was 13 yards. We couldn't run the ball. Both lines sucked. The secondary can't even play zone. Luck and stanton carved em up like they were all-pros. So much for all this competition bs we've been hearing about from fisher. And what about all this confidence fisher supposedly portrays? That sure didn't look like a confident bunch to me. There was no sense of urgency, no continuity, no discipline, no chemistry.

How do you really feel

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

The preseason is a glorified practice with another team. Small playbook, basic schemes, etc. I t's a learning and evaluation experience only, used to grade and show the players what they need to do better. Take it with a grain of salt or don't take it at all. When the games count and they play like this then condemn them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast