Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rodger Saffold to ask for Trade?

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: Rodger Saffold to ask for Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Really? Who did your "hear" it from? Absent an answer to that question, my opinion of this "report" has not changed.
    Hence the "rumor" part. I'm just as sceptic as you are maybe even more!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Maybe. But what would that actually mean. First, the Rams would not have to trade him. He's not going to hold out in his last year before FA. If they were to trade him and get, let's say, a 3rd round pick in return, they could find a RT in the draft.

I expect this will be much ado about nothing.
    I think this hits the nail squarely on the head. Saffold can demand whatever he wants but the ball is totally in the Rams court.

You know, maybe if Saffold played a little better, or managed to stay on the field a little more consistantly, there wouldn't be quite the need for us to bring Jake Long in. I think Saffold shouldn't see this as a demotion, but as an opportunity to establish himself in another position on the line. I'm sure if Long is sign the coaching staff is looking at our offensive tackles as a team strength. Saffold should embrace that and try to position himself as the long term starting right tackle for the team. If he plays well then I seriously doubt the team would have any problem giving him a nice fat paycheck when his time comes.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It doesn't look good for Saffold. When was the last time the Rams got rid of an offensive lineman that actually went on to do something elsewhere?

Truck is offline Registered User

This seems like a lot of bs, no source other than him. But I'll be damned if everyone isn't picking this up in last hour.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

This can't be true, if Saffold really were being this much of a tit over potential competition, the Rams should totally replace him ASAP.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't know what to make of this. IF true, Saffold and his agent have REALLY jumped the gun. Unless the Rams specifically told Saffold what their concrete plans are if Long is signed (which I seriously doubt), it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to make a preemptive strike on his future with the team. Guess we'll find out soon enough, but I'm skeptical about this story.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Again... playing the hypothetical... if the Rams were going to entertain a trade for Saffold, it would probably make sense to do so right before or during the draft. For a team that needs a starting LT at a good price and without a long term commitment, he could be a good option.
    One thing to keep in mind is, after Lane Johnson, the number of capable starting left tackle prospects kind of drops. If you need a left tackle and you're picking in the second round, who do you really take? Watson? Armstead?

The Rams could package Saffold and a pick for someone's second rounder, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    If this is true, why does an average player on his rookie contract who missed 13 games over the last 2 seasons think he has the right to ask for a trade just because he will be asked to play a different position?
    I don't know about having the right to ask for it, but if this report is accurate and he has, I think his motivation is clear. He's in the final year of his deal and wants to cash in either in an extension or as a free agent. He's going to be able to demand far more if he plays left tackle in 2013 rather than right tackle. It's the money, Lebowski!
    mde8352gorams likes this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    It doesn't look good for Saffold. When was the last time the Rams got rid of an offensive lineman that actually went on to do something elsewhere?
    I hear Adam Timmerman is the general manager for a John Deere tractor dealer... that's something
    HUbison likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Incognito is a pro bowl guard.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Since your talking R. Incognito, you gotta be referring to a Restroom Custodial company.

gap

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Remember Saffold was not drafted by this regime, and he is going on the last year of his contract. Hes been solid when healthy, but hasnt been healthy enough as we need him to be. Same situation as Amendola.

If he has another year including injuries, the Rams could easily plan to part ways with him and get their own guy in the draft or free agency.

So, if this trade talk is accurate, it doesnt suprise me

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    And he went in 2009. Although i suspect he made the pro bowl more because of his cool sounding name than his actual play
    FestusRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Agent: Saffold wouldn't like switch to RT

1 hour ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

According to his agent, Alan Herman, Rams left tackle Rodger Saffold wouldn’t be happy about a switch to right tackle. But Herman stopped short of saying Saffold would request a trade if that were the case.

It could indeed be the case should the Rams sign free-agent Jake Long of Miami, who is visiting Rams Park today.

“I’m sure if you would ask Rodger what position he’d want to play, he’d want to be a left tackle,” Herman said. “That’s his position. It’s a paying position in the league. He’s played left tackle his whole life since he was a little kid. Why would he want to move to the other side?”

Herman said he hasn’t brought the subject up with executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff or general manager Les Snead — and not even Saffold — because at the moment Saffold is still the team’s left tackle. And Long wasn’t a Ram — at least not yet.

“I think people are trying to get ahead of the curve here,” Herman said. “See what happens, and we go from there. If they sign the guy (Long), I’m sure Rodger’s going to be the first one to say: ‘I want to be a left tackle.’ What happens at that point?”

Herman indicated that the most likely scenario would be that Saffold plays out the final year of his contract and reaches free agency. He’s scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent following the 2013 season.

Saffold could not be reached for comment.

What a surprise, straight from Saffolds agent: no trade demand, no discussion about it with the Rams, no discussion about it with Saffold himself. Looks like the story was blown way out of proportion. Another surprise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12