Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Roger Saffold.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Roger Saffold.

Should the Rams give up on him? PFF has Joe Barksdale rated as the number 1 RT in the NFL. Surprising but remember that he lined up against JJ Watt and he didn't have a sack.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Roger Saffold.

Do you know what I like about Barksdale?

1) You never hear his name mentioned during a game
    2) You never see him on the floor injured

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Every year teams get decimated by injuries to the offensive line. Good O-linemen don't grow on trees, as we've found out all too well the past several seasons. If you mean "give up on Saffold" as in demote him, that's certainly a plausible thought given Barksdale's success and Saffold's injury history. But by "giving up on" you mean cutting him, I'm totally against it.
    PARamfan and Randart like this.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

I say we trade saffold in all honesty......a lot of teams need a tackle and I would not be shocked if a team like the dolphins gave us something decent for a player like him....I am not saying we will def get a lot for him, but I would much rather have Barksdale personally. (BTW we are 2-0 with him starting this season....just sayin)

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Every year teams get decimated by injuries to the offensive line. Good O-linemen don't grow on trees, as we've found out all too well the past several seasons. If you mean "give up on Saffold" as in demote him, that's certainly a plausible thought given Barksdale's success and Saffold's injury history. But by "giving up on" you mean cutting him, I'm totally against it.
    I certainly would not like the idea of cutting him because he has some trade value. He's no slouch. Although, I think him being constantly injured messes up the chemistry of the line. Barksdale is doing remarkably better. I wonder if he was the game changer this past sunday. JJ Watt is a game changer and he was stopped, by Barksdale. If it was Saffold, not sure what would happen.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's hard to argue against the job that Barksdale is doing right now. I'd have to say he's the most pleasant surprise of the early season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Remember, right now, he's playing (or, more accurately, not playing) for a new contract.

At this point, my bet would be that we will re-sign him to a one year deal and see how things go in 2014. I doubt that he'll receive big $ from anyone at this point.
    PARamfan and DE_Ramfan like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Remember, right now, he's playing (or, more accurately, not playing) for a new contract.

At this point, my bet would be that we will re-sign him to a one year deal and see how things go in 2014. I doubt that he'll receive big $ from anyone at this point.

Agreed. He also needs to prove he can stay healthy for 60 minutes, let alone an entire season. That said, LTs are highly valued on the market so I think he at least tests it. It might be more likely he goes to a team for a year that's going to let him play at LT and then try to cash out in 2015 after staying upright.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tavon Austin View Post
    I say we trade saffold in all honesty......a lot of teams need a tackle and I would not be shocked if a team like the dolphins gave us something decent for a player like him....I am not saying we will def get a lot for him, but I would much rather have Barksdale personally. (BTW we are 2-0 with him starting this season....just sayin)
    I think if he were to be traded for a 2016 7th rounder, we would be making out alright. I doubt any team would be willing to give up anything of value for an always injured tackle who will be looking for a new contract in a few months. Remember, last year we couldn't even get a 7th rounder for Steven Jackson from a team like the Packers that desperately needed a running back because they knew they would have to pay him in the offseason as well as give up a pick.

I say keep him for the rest of the year but wouldn't try very hard to resign him in the offseason.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Here is my question, do we start Saffold over Barksdale? We finally have some chemistry going on with the O line. When was the last false start? How about a holding penalty? It's been awhile. Saffold is always good for at least one false start penalty a game. I would not change what we have going on.

You can add Cort to that as well... slot CB period.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Give him more time to heal and let him play some special teams. He might can carry some jocks if they'll let him.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Re-sign him for Back-up $$
    MoonJoe likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk247 View Post
    Do you know what I like about Barksdale?

1) You never hear his name mentioned during a game
    2) You never see him on the floor injured
    Let's not jinx him!

Randart is offline Registered User

I love the points you guys make in this thread... Barksdale was really good in college and has worked into the starters job excellently with good work in the preseason etc. I still want to draft a couple O-Linemen so Roger can test free agency and if he fails to land a good contract then he can come back to compete for a job at a nice low reduced rate. That seems fair to all at this point, given his history with the team and with injuries etc.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

We all know signing him for backup money will be nearly impossible. At least one team will be dumb enough to pay him big money to try and solidify their O-line and with that being the case I feel that we should be actively shopping him. Even though he is injured, we have seen that many many teams will throw money at a player regardless of his past for the possibility of him staying healthy. Heck we did it with Jake Long. (which to this point has paid off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast