throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Roger Saffold.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Roger Saffold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is my question, do we start Saffold over Barksdale? We finally have some chemistry going on with the O line. When was the last false start? How about a holding penalty? It's been awhile. Saffold is always good for at least one false start penalty a game. I would not change what we have going on.
    I certainly wouldn't put Saffold back in the starting lineup, for the reasons you mentioned. Chemistry is critical to an OL's success, and right now we've got it. You don't mess with success.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Which guy can pass pro without nine TEs helping him ? I've seen RS do that on the left when healthy, not sure about JB in general or RS on the right. I guess we'll find out how Fisher feels about it once RS is available again.

I suspect RS will be given another shot this season but even a successful run to the end of the year might not be enough to keep him in the fold for 2014 onward,imo.
    I certainly think an in-season trade would be foolish.
    live4ramin and Torry Holt like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos

Here is my question, do we start Saffold over Barksdale? We finally have some chemistry going on with the O line. When was the last false start? How about a holding penalty? It's been awhile. Saffold is always good for at least one false start penalty a game. I would not change what we have going on.
    Good question AND answer!

I agree. As much as I support Saffold and hope he recovers well and plays well, placing him in front of JB right now would be a definite departure from the relative success at RT that we are currently having with big Joe.
    live4ramin likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

There's an interesting dynamic taking place here with respect to Saffold and the RT spot. If we want to keep him, which I believe we won't be able to do as there are numerous teams who need a LT and Saffold can play the spot. Forget the injury stuff as teams will always opt for talent then deal with the injury stuff if it happens, see Danny Amendola. If we play Rodger then we're going to merchandise him to the league. If we sit him, then the label emerges he cannot beat out a back-up. Teams will do their own evaluations but the actions during next year's off-season could be interesting.

Personally, I don't know what the right thing to do is at this time, but I do think we'll be drafting a OT in this draft if we wind-up with a top 10 pick from Washington. Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews come to mind. We also have to consider what happens if Jake Long gets hurt, next year or thereafter. I will be interested to see if the Rams are willing to pay Rodger or let him walk.

Go Rams!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Trade? no. I seriously doubt anyone would be interested to take over his contract, just to have to re-ink him to keep him for next year. Rams could use the depth when he's back and should just let him play out the remainder. Maybe he gets healthy and a playoff team loses a premier tackle before trade deadline that they just have to have to replace... but that's wildly unlikely.

Keep? no. Somebody will give him a chance in 2014 at a price well above what the Rams would be/should be willing to pay (ie. vet minimum w/ playing time bonuses).

Draft new OT? YES! Bring in somebody to learn under Long and push/compete with Barksdale.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

It'd be nice if we can trade Saffold to the Broncos or Steelers for a conditional 4th or 5th rounder.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Trade? no. I seriously doubt anyone would be interested to take over his contract, just to have to re-ink him to keep him for next year. Rams could use the depth when he's back and should just let him play out the remainder. Maybe he gets healthy and a playoff team loses a premier tackle before trade deadline that they just have to have to replace... but that's wildly unlikely.

Keep? no. Somebody will give him a chance in 2014 at a price well above what the Rams would be/should be willing to pay (ie. vet minimum w/ playing time bonuses).

Draft new OT? YES! Bring in somebody to learn under Long and push/compete with Barksdale.
    If Barksdale does pan out to be the best RT in the NFL, which he is so far, I don't see the need for the Rams to draft another RT, mayba a LT. Barksdale is only 25.

That is, if you're talking about drafting an OT in the first round. Late rounder, I wouldn't mind.

Also, Saffold was great at the LT position, well his rookie year he was great, 2nd year not so much. I see teams making an offer for him. He's young and LT not a RT.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

In a league where Eugene Monroe fetches only a fourth and fifth round pick as trade compensation, I have little faith that Saffold is enticing enough to attract any mid-season attention. He's a solid tackle who can't stay on the field. Those guys aren't exactly in high demand.
    ManofGod and sosa39rams like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

We need Rog to fill the 'Humpty Dumpty' role on the roster, vacated by Mr. Amendola. BTW, Danny Dumpty came back from (get ready for it) injury this last week...only to be concussed and knocked out again!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

You can add Cort to that as well... slot CB period.
    Well said sir on both fronts (Saffold & Cort).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm already over Saffold. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Barksdale has been playing outstanding football. Remember, coming out he was a very talented player who couldn't put it together. Barksdale has severely outplayed Saffold when healthy. Not to mention he isn't injured every other play. Saffold would be my swing tackle (seeing as he can be both a LT and RT).

THE DREAM TEAM

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If Barksdale does pan out to be the best RT in the NFL, which he is so far, I don't see the need for the Rams to draft another RT, mayba a LT. Barksdale is only 25.

That is, if you're talking about drafting an OT in the first round. Late rounder, I wouldn't mind.

Also, Saffold was great at the LT position, well his rookie year he was great, 2nd year not so much. I see teams making an offer for him. He's young and LT not a RT.
    I would disagree Barksdale is the best RT in the nfl, but let's not debate the point.

As for drafting OT, in no way shape or form is my armchair GM suggestion limited to first round only. I think a OT anywhere in the rounds 3-5 range would be great. Loved the mid round Barrett Jones pickup for interior OL depth this past draft... now would like to see same type of pickup for outside OL depth. Only if its clear Barksdale is not the long term answer, should the Rams drop a 1st or 2nd on a tackle.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I say hang onto Danny Amend....I mean Rodger Saffold as long as we can. He has done a good job for us when on the field. Depth behind the O-line is a must.

richtree is offline Registered User

Trade him to NYG for Hakeem Nicks

Trade 5 Round pick for Kenny Britt

Boom there is WR that can be revived

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Trade him to NYG for Hakeem Nicks

Trade 5 Round pick for Kenny Britt

Boom there is WR that can be revived

Save Madden Franchise Mode.