Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

Roland Williams returns!

rams signed roland williams today, one year deal. I wonder if this means that cleeland wont be back.

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Roland Williams returns!

Does anybody remember why we traded Williams in the first place? All we got for him was a 4th round pick. Were there some other reasons that I am not aware of?

WHAT SAY YE?

general counsel Guest

Answering my own questions, martz says we will not resign cleeland. I guess the third tight end will be a kid, maybe even jensen.

As to williams the first time around, ernie returned and got healthy. Williams i believe had some fumbling issues and wanted the chance to be a starter.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GSOT is offline Registered User

Third Tightend and third string qb qill be matt jones he will also play some wide out near the goal line.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GSOT
    Third Tightend and third string qb qill be matt jones he will also play some wide out near the goal line.
    If Matt jones fell to us and we grab him,I would be as thrilled as when we drafted Archuleta.This guy could be a Shockey type T.E. , a wideout in his own class, and may be a good 3rd string Q.B. Maybe we would never have to call back Jaime Martin.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

What's good about Williams - He is a vet, can catch a few, and knows the offense (to a good extent - pre 2001), and he can block.

What's good about Cleeland leaving - He could not block, pass catching was sporadic (one large exception in the Seattle game), he seemed to have been often injured.

I call that a win - win.

Welcome back Roland!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    If Matt jones fell to us and we grab him,I would be as thrilled as when we drafted Archuleta.This guy could be a Shockey type T.E. , a wideout in his own class, and may be a good 3rd string Q.B. Maybe we would never have to call back Jaime Martin.
    Only problem being that he's never played anything but QB since junior high. At this point he probably doesn't know a pass block from Chuck Knoblauch (rimshot, thank you folks, I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress)

...back to Roland. I think this is a great signing for three reasons:
    1. He's a solid run blocker, been missing this at the goal line
    2. He works cheap, minimum wage
    3. He's a field leader. He will bring back some fire that has been missing for 3 years.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think this is a great signing for three reasons:
    1. He's a solid run blocker, been missing this at the goal line
    2. He works cheap, minimum wage
    3. He's a field leader. He will bring back some fire that has been missing for 3 years.
    I agree. I think this is a very strong signing for the vet minimum that should help improve our efficiency running the ball in the redzone and give us another emotional team leader, which the Rams could really use, it seems.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

I am 99% sure that this only counts 450k against the cap, even though he is getting paid more money than that (950k give or take) since its a vet min, contract.

sda

sbramfan is offline Registered User

there is a few caveats...

I think the guy has to have been in the league for like 8 years or something...

and then I thought it was closer to about 600 towards the cap?

something like that, but you're right, sounds like an excellent, cap friendly move!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

"I'm on board this Rams train. Let's go. Big Ro' is back with his smile, loving football, and we'll get it going."

This is good. Very good.

RealRam is offline Registered User

To reiterate:

As a Ram, I liked Roland Williams very much and was disappointed he was gone after a couple of years with us. I think he is both a blocker AND receiver, perhaps not spectacular 'a la Tony Gonzales' but consistent / decent in his passing plays.

Glad he's back!

Quote:
    His best receiving season in St. Louis was the 1999 Super Bowl championship campaign, when he caught 25 passes for 226 yards and six touchdowns.

Cleeland, thanks for your contributions. Will always keep that terrific TD Vs. Seattle in 04!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm lukewarm about this. I think the TE in Martz's system could really flourish with the so called "rule enforcement". Roland Williams? He's had his best years.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm lukewarm about this. I think the TE in Martz's system could really flourish with the so called "rule enforcement". Roland Williams? He's had his best years.
    Hey, Tex and me on the same page! I guess having a warm body for the vet minimum is something to be positive about but the fact that this reenforces the notion that Martz won't be looking to incorporate the TE into the passing game is discouraging to me.

It's not conclusive, obviously, but the fact that Roland hasn't caught a pass in two years isn't very inspiring to me. I'm hoping this move is a precursor to the Rams drafting a good (I'd settle for decent) TE in the draft. They should just move Manumaleuna to guard or something and get it over with. To me, Williams is nothing more than a scrap heap replacement for the previous scrap heap TE (Cleeland).

On a positive note, he shouldn't have too much trouble re-acquainting himself to the offense, so there won't be a learning curve in his blocking assignments. Now that I think of it, he probably won't have to bother learning any pass patterns so his study time should be pretty quick!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree. There's definitely room in the system to get a pass-catching TE more involved, but as far as I can tell Martz doesn't have much interest in it. You have to wonder if maybe he didn't snooze through the classes were they explained the tight end and fullback positions. Besides, if he got the idea that he could throw to somebody new the playbook would probably expand by another fifty pages.

Anyway, as long as the tight end position is going to be what it has been for the last few years, I think the Roland Williams signing is a good thing. Even if he's past his prime, I'd still consider him an upgrade to Cleeland, and if he can put a spark into the team that could earn him his paycheck all by itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast