Truth is offline Registered User

Roman Gabriel Wins!!

I just came accross this article today from the Chicago Tribune. Roman Gabriel's name was chosen as the best QB name ever. OK, this isn't earth shattering. However, since he's one of my all time favorite Rams, I thought I'd post the article and link.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...-nonmmxent-utl

THE GREAT QUARTERBACK NAME CHALLENGE SIDEBAR

Roman Gabriel surpasses Johnny U. in name game

Compiled by Julia Keller
    Eric Gwinn and Alan Peters
    Published January 13, 2006

The winner is Roman Gabriel, but not by much. Both finalists' names are packed with toughness and flair. Both are meaty, intimidating and unforgettable QB handles.

Roman Gabriel: the flighty-sounding "Gabriel" is anchored by the rock-solid "Roman." The syllables function like five veteran linemen, a thick-necked synchronization of muscle and purpose.

Johnny Unitas: The slightly juvenile ring of "Johnny" is more than offset by the ancient, primal, cold-stadium-at-dusk feel of "Unitas."

In the end, we went with Gabriel's name because it included, along with grit and the constant expectation of pain, a certain delicate poetry. The "Gabriel" part is what got us. Because even though professional football is a violent, brutal game, it's also a game of beauty and timing and agility.

"Roman Gabriel" evokes both brawn and awe, both hard-nosed, knock-'em-down drive and exquisite grace. The name is like a sonnet that smells like Ben-Gay.

In his 16 NFL seasons, Gabriel, now 65, was known as a cool customer who threw very few interceptions. He was the league's MVP in 1969. He retired in 1977.

As for the origins of that world-beater of a name, Gabriel was named after his father, Roman Gabriel Sr., who immigrated to the United States in the early 1900s from the Philippines. According to published sources, the quarterback's dad worked first in an Alaskan fish cannery then lived briefly in Chicago, working for the railroad, where he met a woman of Irish ancestry who became his wife. Next stop for the family was Wilmington, N.C., where young Roman grew up.

Gabriel, a graduate of North Carolina State University, is believed to have been the first Filipino-American quarterback in NFL history. But the name misled some: The Los Angeles Times once reported that as Gabriel was becoming an NFL star, an Italian-American group dubbed him "Italian-American Athlete of the Year."

These days, Gabriel lives in North Carolina and runs a sports consulting firm, often giving motivational speeches. Until recently, he broadcast Carolina Panthers games on the radio.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Roman Gabriel Wins!!

yay whooooo

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AugustaRamFan Guest

A W is W... I'll take it!

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Man. My money was on "FRAN TARKINGTON".
    "The horror"

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very interesting "competition". Thanks for the article, Truth, I liked it.

I remember some 40 years ago, thinking of the great No. 18 as "The Roman General". As with you, Truth, he was, and remains, one of my All-time Favorite Rams.

:1: Bombs away: Gabriel to Snow. Gabriel to Casey. Gabriel to Truax ... to Bucky Pope, Dick Bass, Les Josephson, Harold Jackson, etc. That was a serious aerial attack alright.

Yes, he was a 'Cool Customer' indeed.

Now, as far as QB names go, I agree with the close verdict between Roman Gabriel and Johnny Unitas.

Others that I consider for "finalists": Sonny Jurgensen; Dan Marino; John Brodie; Jim Everett; Ron Jaworski.

This photo is from the 'Fantastic Finish', MUST WIN game Vs. Packers at the L.A. Coliseum, last game of the 1967 season, Dec. 9. Man, what a game!

A thriller of a final-minute victory, Rams 27-24. :clanram:

Gabriel was among the first big physical QB prototypes in the NFL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roman Gabriel Wins!!-roman-gabriel.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-30-2006 at 08:56 PM.

The name, the man, the Rams QB (with team since 1962 but starter since the George Allen era).

NFL career

In the professional ranks Gabriel went on to play 16 seasons in the NFL, splitting time with the Los Angeles Rams (1962-72) and the Philadelphia Eagles (1973-77).

He was named the NFL Most Valuable Player Award in 1969 and earned Pro Bowl spots in 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1973. He ranked as the Rams' all-time passing leader with 22,223 yards and 154 touchdowns (1,705 com./3,313 att.) and threw for 7,221 yards and 45 touchdowns (661 com./1,185 att.) with the Eagles.

In 1973 he led the NFL with 3,219 yards and 23 touchdown passes, for which he was awarded the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award.

Still holds the Rams' career records for touchdown passes (154), passing yards (22,223), passes attempted (3,313), and passes completed 1,705.

:1:

Truth is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Roman Gabriel Wins!!

[QUOTE=RealRam]This photo is from the 'Fantastic Finish', MUST WIN game Vs. Packers at the L.A. Coliseum, last game of the 1967 season, Dec. 9. Man, what a game!

A thriller of a final-minute victory, Rams 27-24. :clanram:
    QUOTE]

I remember the game well. It was the first game my Dad ever took me to.
    Last edited by Truth; -03-30-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

It is quite the kick ass name.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Thats great ! he does have a namem that spells out the above...

psycho9985 Guest

Kind of wonder what Joe Namath rated,but I'm glad Roman got the Top name.

curley4me Guest

AWESOME NAME! i read somewhere that our former linebacker "roman phifer" was named after the legendary qb. it actually said that his real name was "roman zubinski phifer",:bow: i read it on a rams player program!

You're right, Curley. Ex-Rams LB Roman Phifer... :clanram:

Personal Bio [NFLplayers.com]

Roman Zubinski Phifer was born on March 5, 1968 in Charlotte, N.C. ... Roman and his wife, Linda, were married during the 2003 offseason ... The family has two sons, Jordan and Angelo, and a daughter, Milan, born on May 1, 2004 ... Attended South Mecklenburg (Pineville, N.C.) High ... Lettered three years in football and basketball, earning all-county and Charlotte Post Athlete of Year honors as a senior ... Competed in track and field as a high jumper and triple jumper.

Named after ex-Rams QB Roman Gabriel ... Resides in Los Angeles, Calif. ... Majored in history at UCLA.