RamWraith is offline Registered User

Romberg, Bennett join Rams’ long injury list

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/15/2007

BALTIMORE • Try as he might, Rams center Brett Romberg couldn’t avoid the injury bug that has swept through the team this season.

Romberg suffered a sprained left ankle five minutes into the second quarter of Sunday’s 22-3 loss to the Ravens and did not return.

“I’m not going to stay out long, I promise you,” Romberg said afterward, wearing a walking boot on the ankle. “I’m coming back ASAP. I’ve got to. I’ve got no choice.”

Romberg suffered the injury when his ankle was rolled on from behind during a Brian Leonard running play. X-rays showed no broken bones, but Romberg is scheduled to have an MRI exam this morning.

Romberg became the ninth Rams offensive lineman and fourth starter to miss at least part of a game because of an injury.

Andy McCollum, who started at left guard, was shuffled to center following Romberg’s injury. Claude Terrell came off the bench to play left guard.

More injuries

Wide receiver Drew Bennett's disappointing season got worse when he suffered a hamstring injury late in the second quarter.

He did not return, and his status for the Seattle game is uncertain.

With Isaac Bruce (hamstring) and Dante Hall (ankle) on the pregame inactive list with injuries, the Rams had only Torry Holt, Marques Hagans and Brandon Williams available at wide receiver. Slowed by swelling in his surgically repaired knee last week, Holt had a quiet day against Baltimore, with four catches for 33 yards.

Hagans led all Rams receivers with five catches for 74 yards. Williams, the former Hazelwood East High star who joined the Rams last Tuesday, handled kickoff and punt return duties against Baltimore and was the No. 3 receiver once Bennett left.

Toe jam

This season, even when something good happens for the Rams, something bad usually follows. Such was the case early in the second quarter, when defensive end Leonard Little registered his first sack of the year, forcing a fumble in the process.

Little aggravated a nagging left toe injury on the play and was in and out of the game thereafter. Because of the injury, Little was sidelined on Baltimore's next offensive series, a 75-yard drive for the only touchdown of the afternoon.

When asked if he needed a little painkiller at halftime, Little replied: "A lot of painkiller. It's going to be a thing of me tolerating the pain. I'm just going to take it day by day, and hopefully on Sunday (in Seattle) it'll be healthy enough to where I can play."

Thinking of Bulger

Gus Frerotte was splattered on several occasions by Baltimore's pass rush, to the point where it looked like he might not be able to continue. Marc Bulger — he of the two broken ribs — warmed up at least once on the sideline, but did not play.

"I contemplated it," coach Scott Linehan said. "But I also think it was in our best interests (not to play Bulger). The reason we held him out is we're trying to get him healthy."

Inactives

Besides Bruce and Hall, also designated as pregame inactives for the Rams were: SS Corey Chavous (pectoral muscle), RB Steven Jackson (groin), WR Dane Looker (thigh), LB Raonall Smith (knee), DE Trevor Johnson and C Nick Leckey.

Brian Leonard made his third start in place of Jackson but was stopped by Baltimore's second-ranked run defense. He managed only 18 yards on 12 carries. Todd Johnson started in place of Chavous at strong safety.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Romberg, Bennett join Rams’ long injury list

Drew Bennett:x:x:x:x

What a huge disappointment he's been!!!!:x:notworking: