Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rome wasn't built in three years

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rome wasn't built in three years

I've been reading a lot of posts lately trash talking Steve Spagnuolo and what the fans perceive as his inadequacies as the head football coach of this team. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - posts to the tune of:

Quote Originally Posted by generic example
    What has Spagnuolo even been DOING for the past three years?
    or

Quote Originally Posted by extreme generic example
    We still have needs at WR, LB, OL, DT, blah blah BLOW THE WHOLE TEAM UP!
    I think it's a really interesting reaction to the Rams 2011 season not being the Playoff cake walk many of us thought it would be. And as many fans call for Spagnuolo's head at or before the end of the season, I think that an important question is being overlooked:

Are the Rams actually any better since Spagnuolo came aboard?

If you measure 'better' by strict wins and losses, as it is fair to do, then the answer is a resounding 'no'. Steve Spagnuolo has a higher losing percentage than his predecessor, Scott Linehan, who may well be the most hated Rams head coach of all time. If you look at it this way, it's easy to point the finger at Spagnuolo as the losingest coach in recent memory, and, under these guidelines, I can see why a firing would be justified.

However (and don't pretend you didn't know there wasn't a great big 'However' coming ... ), there is a second way to look at this picture.

Consider, for a second, the state of the Rams roster at the conclusion of the Linehan/Haslett debacle. With the (eight) exceptions of Steven Jackson, James Hall, Chris Long, Adam Goldberg, Jacob Bell, Ron Bartell, Donnie Jones and Josh Brown, I can't think of a single other player still on the Rams roster of 52 from the conclusion of the 2009 season.

Speaking mathematically, since the end of the SLOP era, Spagnuolo has had to fill 44/52 roster spots with new guys, including 16/23 starting positions. That's 85% of a football team, and 70% of a starting twenty three.

Sure, there were guys who stuck on for a little while - Marc Bulger and Leonard Little on their last legs, Victor Adeyanju and Laurent Robinson trying to find theirs - but the majority of this team has been overhauled since Spagnuolo arrived. Which begs the subsequent question:

If Spagnuolo is fired, will he leave the roster be in a better state than it was when he was hired?

Resoundingly, this answer is 'yes'. I don't know how you can tell me that a roster that boasts Bradford, Lloyd, Jackson, Saffold, Dahl, Bell, Long, Quinn, Lauriniatis, Mikell, Bartell, Fletcher, Murphy and Stewart - in addition to Jones and Brown - is in a worse shape than the aging, ragged wreckage Linehan sped away from.

Of course, there are still holes - some of the players team Spags have brought in have not been able to do the job (I hope you are enjoying dropping balls back in Jacksonville, Mr. Sims Walker ...), and some started out hot but got got (c)old quickly (has anybody seen Fred Robbins' walking stick?), but undoubtedly, the roster is in a better shape than it was three years ago.

I'm not advocating for more Spagnuolo at the conclusion of this season - in my opinion, he's proven to be great for the defense, but the wrong mix of timid playcalling and stubborn resilience for the offense, and for that reason he probably will be fired.

However (and don't pretend you didn't know there wasn't a second one coming somewhere ... ), if the Rams go on to any success without Spagnuolo in the next two or three years, it will be because the new coach has inherited an actual nucleus from Spagnuolo and Devaney - as opposed to the conjoined, upside-down pig fetus Linehan tied a ribbon on and left us with.

So take it easy on coach Spags. The W-L column is skewed to say otherwise, but I think we're better off for his being here.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Rome wasn't built in three years

That some of the personnel is better doesn't absolve Spags and company for the dismal season and myriad issues this team faces- none of which I'm going to spend more time dissecting in a long post. Spags has glaring deficiencies as a head coach, and there is absolutely no excuse for the Rams to have not won games against supposed weak sisters Seattle, Washington and Arizona at home. Some of his decisions are mind-boggling.They have regressed. You can't give the guy credit for keeping the defense afloat despite injuries and absolve him from that same unit getting torched to the tune of 227 yards by the immortal Beani Wells. The days of giving coaches 5-7 years to turn it around are over. I'm beyond disappointed- I'm enraged. I'm sick of seeing bad football for 8 years running. Patience ran out a long time ago. I wish Spags and Devaney had been successful, but change is needed. The record speaks for itself.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe ROME can't be built in 3 years but Cincinnati and San Francisco have been built in one!
    RamDez, RockinRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Maybe ROME can't be built in 3 years but Cincinnati and San Francisco have been built in one!
    Totally disagree.... They already had talent, few or no key injuries, and just a few key pieces replaced.

I almost agree with with you bar-bq. But here is my take on this. The first season was expected to be a wash, u have to excuse that season, it was no secret we had little talent. Then we go 7-9, now this... So lets talk about this. First off as i stated when micky D was hired, he wasnt and isnt a spags guy. Spags didnt want him, devanny did, thats why he wasnt made an offer till he got on a plane headed to seattle, im not sure on this one but maybe kroenke stepped in. Devanny is the ruler of all when it comes to personnel decisions as far as free agents and draftees. Spags has a voice but has to roll with the puncches. Devanny brought in msw, poppinga, leber, in which if they would have panned out both sides of the ball would have been better. And injuries what no one can control killed us to. I dont want it but i can understand if spags is kept. But not devanny, took him like 4yrs to adress the backup rb... After the 2nd year i started losing faith in him. Spags hasnt losted the team and i think he'll be a good hc one day with the right people with him

macrammer is offline Registered User

Ok. i will go on notice as giving credit to Ex coach Spags when the Rams start winning.
    RamDez and MoonJoe like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Totally disagree.... They already had talent, few or no key injuries, and just a few key pieces replaced.
    San Fran....already had talent? Sure every team does. The new headcoach just knew how to get the most out of it.

Cincy....a few key pieces? Like a starting QB and WR?

We have talent too. As I've been saying recently we just don't have a leader that knows how to work with what he has put together over a 3 year period.

richtree is offline Registered User

I really think Spags will be here another year due to these 3 reasons:

#1 NFL labor greatly impacted teams on the bottom for re-building

#2 McDaniels was brought on a short season & I doubt Sam wants a 3rd OC

#3 Injuries / Rookies / Schedule made things look worse

** Management knows they need to have a great off-season, and it would be very hard to recruit some free-agents over to a franchise that decides to re-build with a new head coach (again).

Unless the head coach is a marquee name: Fisher, Gruden, Cowher there isn't a way to re-build without getting rid of everyone.

I am sure if McDaniels leaves so will B.Lloyd
    Richbert88 and TekeRam like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

that is incorrect--

it took August thru November so far and that is FOUR MONTHS

macrammer is offline Registered User

San Fran....already had talent? Sure every team does. The new headcoach just knew how to get the most out of it.

Cincy....a few key pieces? Like a starting QB and WR?

We have talent too. As I've been saying recently we just don't have a leader that knows how to work with what he has put together over a 3 year period.

I agree here. Before the season stasrted, I did not read any posts on this forum that stated the Whiners would run away with the division due to their plethora of talent. The pundits thought the Rams would win division. Now, I read posts that try to diminish what a new leader can do for you. Harbaugh is a winner and knows how to get the most out of his "talent." This includes developing a safe game plan for his often maligned QB, Alex Smith.

The Rams do have talent and we should be much more cohesive and professional then we are. Just takes the right person that has the ability to use their talent in ther manner that is best for the moment. This includes making game adjustments all throughout the game as dictated by the play on field

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    That some of the personnel is better doesn't absolve Spags and company for the dismal season and myriad issues this team faces- none of which I'm going to spend more time dissecting in a long post. Spags has glaring deficiencies as a head coach, and there is absolutely no excuse for the Rams to have not won games against supposed weak sisters Seattle, Washington and Arizona at home. Some of his decisions are mind-boggling.They have regressed. You can't give the guy credit for keeping the defense afloat despite injuries and absolve him from that same unit getting torched to the tune of 227 yards by the immortal Beani Wells. The days of giving coaches 5-7 years to turn it around are over. I'm beyond disappointed- I'm enraged. I'm sick of seeing bad football for 8 years running. Patience ran out a long time ago. I wish Spags and Devaney had been successful, but change is needed. The record speaks for itself.
    The games we should have won this year mimic with the games we should have won last year as well.
    There have been too many games where this team has had a lead, and let their opponents get back into the game largley due to poor decision making and clock management.
    It is a pattern, that apparently hasnt been learned from.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

It all has to do with a chosen coach doing and using his existing talent he has to the best of their abilities. The ***** have been picked for years to win our division just one talent alone but the HC never could pull it together. Harbaugh has fixed that issue with great leadership and game management, Spags has not plain and simple.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

3 years is the NFL standard for righting the ship. Spags is almost at that 3 year mark, but the Rams are not better. The 2008 team that started with Linehan and ended with Haslett, was a complete mess that could only manage 2 wins, which is where we are now. To get to the point where the Rams were last year, only to regress to the dysfunctional state we see this season, is failure, bottom line. Going backwards is not an option when it's your job to turn things around. As others have mentioned, Spags has helped shape the team to fit his vision, but again, it has resulted in failure. Add to that the bad, almost naive game decisions week in, week out, and it's relatively clear Spags is in over his head. Great coordinator, not so great head coach.

A change is needed and from the sound of things, that's exactly what is going to happen.
    macrammer and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I get what Bar-bq is saying, but in a league where you can win with little talent (Cincy) and lose with a so-called dream team (Philly), wins and losses are the ONLY thing that matter.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    undoubtedly, the roster is in a better shape than it was three years ago.

if the Rams go on to any success without Spagnuolo in the next two or three years, it will be because the new coach has inherited an actual nucleus from Spagnuolo and Devaney - as opposed to the conjoined, upside-down pig fetus Linehan tied a ribbon on and left us with.
    Finally a reasonable and sensible post

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Hasn't Marvin Lewis been in Cincinnati 8 years? Hardly built in a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast