Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romo To Play?

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Romo To Play?

This per ESPN.com, Updated: October 15, 2008, 7:25 PM ET

Tony Romo is willing to do his part.

The quarterback informed coaches on Wednesday that he is ready to play Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, a high-ranking Cowboys source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley.

He suffered a broken pinkie finger on his throwing hand in a 30-24 loss at Arizona on Sunday, and Dallas medical staff said that he will miss a month. The injury did not require surgery.

Romo did not practice on Wednesday but did throw the ball on the side, and according to eyewitnesses, he was able to throw the ball with good velocity and appeared confident after throwing. The session was not open to reporters.

The Cowboys' biggest concern is that Romo gets hit again, causing him to miss more time than initially anticipated.

Brett Favre, who has started an NFL-record 258 consecutive regular-season games, told ESPN on Tuesday that he called Tony Romo and encouraged him to try to play.

"The only thing I said was, it's worth trying [to play] if you can deal with the pain and can function good enough with a splint,'' Favre said. "If not, don't try.''

Favre has played through a fractured thumb in the past.

After saying he'd try to play, Romo's streak of 30 consecutive starts is now in the hands of Cowboys coaches.

Matt Mosley covers the NFC East for ESPN.com.
    How will these new developments affect our fortunes on Sunday?

hoosierdaddy is offline Registered User

Re: Romo To Play?

I think they'll better our chances.

I would definitely face a unhealthy Romo then a healthy Brad Johnson. If we can get some pressure and a couple sacks, he'll be turning the ball over a bunch.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I say bring him on. He hasn't looked all that good lately anyway. I for one, don't believe the hype. ASIDE FROM BARBER, Dallas isn't all their cracked up to be. Hopefully, we'll prove that point, WITH EMPHASIS, this weekend. C'mon Dallas and get your beatdown.

Schrodes is offline Registered User

I dont really trust Brad Johnson but I think the decision should rest with Romo. I am thinking we will probably see a little of both of them on sunday.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Personally, what I don't understand is the "beatdown" mentality, to quote an above post, of some Rams fans. As much as I love the Rams, those words just sound silly when you've won only three of your last twenty games.

With that said, Romo has shown a propensity to turn the ball over in patches throughout his career- an inability to turn it on when it really counts (see Playoff football) and despite his bizarre knack for making plays when he shouldn't (see huge run after snap-over-head in last season's Rams game) I can't see how an injured pinky would prevent that from becoming a bigger issue.

Are we better off against Romo or Johnson? I think at this point in time, you'd have to be okay facing either. One hasn't started a game in 2006 and boasts snail-like mobility in the pocket, and the other is injured and sometimes turnover prone, though when healthy he's one of the game's best. If we can apply pressure to that O-Line, minus two of their starters, then it could be a win/win scenario for the Rams, no matter who starts.

One thing I'd like to say about Johnson, though, is that he has an extremely quick release to compensate for his immobility. He's going to get it out fast, no matter how many we bring at him. This may be a blessing in disguise, our secondary being as bad against the deep ball as they are.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Jeez, just tryin' to stay positive. It IS hard to do when your team has pretty much sucked for the better part of twenty years.

I think attitude goes a long way. I like the 'fire' we showed last week. Dallas, on the other hand, is beginning to lose that spark. Beating the 'skins and Dallas on consecutive weeks would do wonders for this organization.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Jeez, just tryin' to stay positive. It IS hard to do when your team has pretty much sucked for the better part of twenty years.

I think attitude goes a long way. I like the 'fire' we showed last week. Dallas, on the other hand, is beginning to lose that spark. Beating the 'skins and Dallas on consecutive weeks would do wonders for this organization.
    I 2nd the motion, give dallas a beatdown!! Whether by 1 point, 3pts or a TD or so. A win is a win.
    Go RAMS!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd rather face Brad Johnson. We really don't want to face a guy who can scramble to buy time for Terrell Owens and Roy Williams to get deep. There might be a silver lining here, though, if protecting his injured hand means Romo doesn't take off out of the pocket as often. Really, anything that disrupts his concentration would improve our odds.

On a side note, I'm going to be really steamed if we get torched by Patrick Crayton like we were last year (184 yards, 2 TDs).

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodes View Post
    I dont really trust Brad Johnson but I think the decision should rest with Romo. I am thinking we will probably see a little of both of them on sunday.
    I think that would be a mistake for cowboys they need to choose a starter in stick with him. Our problem is can we score at least 27 points because I think that is what we will need to have a chance to win.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Get in his face early in the game. Pressure him and just keep sending Long and Little at him. Before you know it, he won't be hitting his targets. I'm sure we can do it guys!!!!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm gonna go ahead and say I do not want Romo to play the Rams. This kid comes from the best college in the nation, and I would much rather have my Rams play the immobile Brad Johnson than Tony any day.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'd rather face Brad Johnson. We really don't want to face a guy who can scramble to buy time for Terrell Owens and Roy Williams to get deep. There might be a silver lining here, though, if protecting his injured hand means Romo doesn't take off out of the pocket as often. Really, anything that disrupts his concentration would improve our odds.

On a side note, I'm going to be really steamed if we get torched by Patrick Crayton like we were last year (184 yards, 2 TDs).
    I totally agree.

BJ is slower,more brittle,has not played in forever,and Romo rallying his offense by playing hurt is not good,either.

Their whole team has to be a little shaken at this point.No need to turn this into the freakin' Alamo.

Thank Gawd we don't have a putz like Chad Johnson yapping & getting their pretty powder blue panties all bunched although I would have dearly loved to see him kiss The Star.

Seeing Owens diss D then get knocked arse over ego was a two-birds-with-one-stone scenario that I treasure as a Rams fan.

That he's now their hero makes them even easier to hate.

Varmints.

BJ may still have a quick release but I'd rather take my chances with the short passes he might get off before he gets "LittleLonged" & where the LBs can help cover & tackle than see Romo buying time with his legs & find the blown coverage deep by either Craft or Chavous that we know will happen.

No, Romo is nothing if not a catalyst for this team. I hope the Cowturds "misunderestimate" us, as Dubya would say, & reason that they can win without him.

Maybe they can but I prefer our chances with their Gus Frerotte holding the reins.

Thanks from a grateful nation for Dubya, by the way.

Couldn't you have given us Staubach or Stevie Ray Vaughn ?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Well..

1st..It wont matter who our qb is if we cant cover there wr's. Having Williams joining the boys doesnt help. now we'll be facing TO, Williams, and Crayton. I dont need to remind anyone of how bad we covered TO and Crayton last year.

2nd, Our defense is going to have to bring massive amounts of pressure to help our corners not get burned. Period. We cannot allow anything like we did last year against them. one play that i think was one of the worst ever in ram history, we cannot allow again, i do believe our D is better right now then a year ago. Long will come with full force along with everyone else. sacks and pressure and good secondary is going to be the key in us not getting beat by 30 points.

3rd..Our offense has to step up and actually score. thats all on that, thats for a diffrent thread.

To win this game we need steps 1 and 2. 3 would be nice, but after last week, it has shown that we can win without an offense and if we create turnoever, and with Romo being a lil damaged, if hes in, or Johnson being in and maybe trying to force some big plays, turnovers would be greatly appreciated.

Bring the pressure and cover the wr's! that is where our chance at winning is. And some offense wouldnt hurt either.

GO RAMS!!!!!!

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

I rather BJ because our pass rush was great against a very VERY good redskins offensive line . . but i am not really opposed to a romo with a broken pinky because either way our odds of winning should increase , just with brad behind center that increase is larger . . . .
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Pressure from our front four on Romo or Johnson. Mix it up, get everybody involved. Every play, some kinda blitz. Just like Miami did to the Patriots on offense. Something unexpected or unconventional. We'll have the 12th man and it'll work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast