Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Bartell

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Ron Bartell

So how about his hands eh?

But seriously, I think that drop changed the momentum quite a bit. I guess those missed opportunities just add up don't they?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Ron Bartell

Its alright. Lets forget about this game and move towards next game. I am extremely disappointed too, but we have to get over it and get hungry.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Nah, that was third down, they punted to us anyways. Not too big of a MO shift IMO.

I was more unhappy with the fact that our best corner was not manned up on their best wide receiver on their first offensive touchdown.

And hey, if he could catch he would be playing wide receiver.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post

And hey, if he could catch he would be playing wide receiver.
    Catching the ball is a skill a WR needs to have? Maybe someone should tell our WR's about that.

Its hard to blame a CB for not catching a ball when our WRs cant catch one either.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Its alright.
    Nah, that was third down, they punted to us anyways. Not too big of a MO shift IMO.
    The Rams, as a team, are not yet good enough to be spurning opportunities like the missed interception yesterday. We need to make every play count if we want to rack up wins, especially on the road.

That's at least the second easy interception Bartell has failed to make already this season, yet some people still think that he's a Pro Bowl calibre player. Sorry, but elite players make big plays, particularly when their team is struggling.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

As someone who plays corner, albeit at amateur level in the UK, you can't drop balls like that. It seemed like he tried to catch it with his body rather than with his hands. Thats one thing every person catching a football is told NOT to do. The ball wasnt gunned in there, it was on the downward part of an arc, it was very, very catchable.

Bartell's coverage skills have been OK. But you can't be an elite corner without making the plays that matter.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Is it absolutely mandatory that a CB need to be able to catch the ball??

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Is it absolutely mandatory that a CB need to be able to catch the ball??
    Errm pretty much

What surprises me the most about the Rams corners is that they never even seem to know where the ball is

ramsfan1957 is offline Registered User

One missed interception in a game will change the momentum for a 44-6 loss? One missed interception will change the momentum for the team when your top receiver is taken out of the game with a serious injury? PLEASE!!!!!!

Bartell may have missed the interception but he had good coverage all day on Calvin Johnson. Johnson was limited to 58 yards and his touchdown pass was when Bartell was not in coverage. Not one touchdown was given on his coverage.

I'm not saying Bartell is a probowl corner, but come on you guys sound like you're laying this game at his feet. Get real the team just got their azzes kicked because they didn't play well. The Rams only scored six points!!! The Rams are still in a rebuilding mode. The Lions are a much better team than their record indicated and it showed on Sunday. We need to move on and figure out how we will continue the season without Mark Clayton. Yesterday proved that Bradford depends on Mark and pretty much had no weapons when he left the game. Everyone knew coming into the season there were a few more building pieces needed for this team, i.e. a true #1 wide receiver. We're not there yet, but at least we've seen progress.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

That was a very catchable ball. I'm not going to blame the loss on him because the whole team sucked, but don't forget that Bartell also dropped an Int against the Cards and the Raiders. He had brick hands apparently, and part of being a corner IS being able to catch. All the good corners get int when they are there for the taking.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Okay. I never said I blamed the loss on Bartell. That's ridiculous. What I am saying is that Bartell has had multiple opportunities this season to come up with big interceptions, and he has dropped every one of them.

Y'all are giving the excuse that he is a CB, therefore it's not his job to catch a football. However, these players play in the NFL. They better be able to catch an easy ball like that. Heck, even a punter should.

Basically, I'm saying these missed opportunities add up. It might not be a big deal if you're just looking at JUST the dropped interception, but if you add it to the whole scheme of things, it just adds another bad mark on a bad day.

No one is blaming the loss on Bartell's missed interception. But in a game where nothing went our way, it would have maybe helped a bit. This isn't the first time a ball has hit in the hand and he has dropped it either.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think it was a momentum shift that Bartell didn't make the play, but absolutely it would have been a momentum shift had he come up with that pick. Turnovers are always momentum shifts, and this was a 3-0 game and a gimme interception.

Bartell would have picked it off at the Rams' forty with blockers in front of him and room to run. Instead, the Rams take over at their own 29 after the punt. So we're talking about at least a ten yard difference in field position if not more depending on yards gained on the run back, and yes, momentum on our side. Not saying we would have won the game, but I don't see how this missed opportunity can be shrugged off.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Y'all are giving the excuse that he is a CB, therefore it's not his job to catch a football. However, these players play in the NFL. They better be able to catch an easy ball like that. Heck, even a punter should.
    Exactly. Someone must have forgotten to tell Falcons DL Kroy Biermann that defenders aren't supposed to catch the football when it's there for the picking...

YouTube - Kroy Biermann Tip Drill and Pick 6 Week 5 2010

Simply put, you have to make those plays, especially on the road in a tight game when you need something to go your way, and especially if you want fans to agree with those supporters who think Bartell is a top level corner in this league.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ludairv is offline Registered User

Well that 2 win High is over... lol its been a while since iv written on this board, but the one thing i notice is that people on this site are too high on our players, which is fine, not sayin its wrong. Problem is this team doesnt not have flat out talent...atleast compared to all the teams theyve faced. Sure they play their hearts out (expet for this massacre ) but when the natural ability and killer instinct isnt there... then it becomes that much harder and adds to another thing that the coaches have to try and instill in them...

Rich86 is offline Registered User

yea, i'm not nearly as high on bartell as the rest of the rams fans so when he dropped that gift i knew instantly it was a sign of things to come. if this were the first time, it would be one thing, but dude will never be an elite corner if he continues to drop interceptions when they're thrown directly at him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast