Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

Ron Bartell the FS

On the Rams roster Ron Bartell, a 2005 2nd round pick, is listed as a FS. I know that he looked good while being featured at CB towards the end of the year.

What do you think about Ron Bartell starting at FS and moving Otogwe over to SS and have Chavous come in off the bench. Bartell in his starts showed a great deal in run support and has fantastic size [6'1" 210lbs.] and he also showed an ability to make a play on the ball something the S's did not do last year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ron Bartell the FS

I think we need to stop moving Bartell around. He played well as the nickel back last year, so why not keep him there? Chances are he's been listed as a FS for a while and they just haven't changed it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i like Bartell at FS and thats were i think he should end up. The only thing i don't like is OJ's tackling ability i would like to see that improve more before he goes to strong safety. I think he will get better there if he mentored by Corey Chavous. If it does happen i think that would make a dangerous Safety core.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think we are overlooking the importance of the nickel back position. The NFL is a pass first league. Yes, an offense has to be able to run the ball, but defenses that can't defend the pass don't fare that well. Defenses don't get beat by giving up run TDs, but by giving up Passing TDs.

Only three teams last year (Indy, Jax, NE) gave up more TDs on the ground than the air. Those three teams gave up, on average, a full FG less of total points than the average NFL team per game. Two of those three were in the top 4 in the league for scoring defense. The bottom 5 teams in run scoring won 43 games last year. The bottom 5 teams in pass scoring only won 34.

More and more teams are utilizing the 3rd and even 4th WRs. You simply can't expect LBs, and in a lot of cases SS, to cover these receivers. If Bartell has shown the coaches that he can handle the NB position, I say keep him there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

A solid cover FS who plays every down is more important than a nickel back who only plays 15-20x per game. Get your best people on the field as much as possible and you'll be a better team for it.

When the Rams drafted Bartell it was thought he would make a better FS than he would CB with his height. Rams are finally getting him where he should have been from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    A solid cover FS who plays every down is more important than a nickel back who only plays 15-20x per game. Get your best people on the field as much as possible and you'll be a better team for it.
    Are you advocating Bartell play primarily FS where he will get 5 or 6 snaps per game as the 2nd string FS? Or keep him where the coaches seem to want him, as the 1st string NB, where he'll get 15-20 snaps a game?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Javaman is offline Registered User

Why can't he be the 2nd string safety and still play the nickel position? He already knows the nickel position. This way he gets some reps in at FS in case OJ or Chavous goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Why can't he be the 2nd string safety and still play the nickel position? He already knows the nickel position. This way he gets some reps in at FS in case OJ or Chavous goes down.
    He could, but then we're back to the problem of bouncing back and forth between two different positions. He's a smart guy, not saying he can't........but does the coaching staff want him to?

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't think the guy is that good, to be honest with you. A decent backup, maybe, but a starter, that would be pushing it. Maybe I'm expecting to much. Maybe I'm expecting us to have a Safety or CB with the Talent of Roy Williams , Sean Taylor or Champ Bailey.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I would like to see him settle in at CB. In a perfect world, in a year or two, the Rams' top 3 CBs would be Hill, Bartell and Wade.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

The Rams brought in Johnson and a bunch of journeymen CBs and then drafted Wade. I really don't think we'll see how this defensive backfield ends up until game #1, much less the long term ramifications of these moves.

My guess is: Hill, Brown, Wade at CB backed up by Bartell and Otogwe, Chavous @ S backed up by Johnson and Bartell, though Johnson could push for a starting spot. Unfortunately I see Bartell bouncing around, but eventually he should land at saftey. I think the rest is just junk.
    Semper Fi!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd rather see him move to Free Safety, and then move Atogwe to Strong Safety. Bartell has great speed and last year especially during the Redskins game (I believe) he was in the backfield making plays all day and thats something he could provide at Free Safety. Move Atogwe to Strong Safety and let him come up and stop the run but most importantly with Atogwe is to work on his tackling ability.

When we drafted Wade I immediately thought of moving Bartell to Free Safety and Atogwe to Strong Safety while letting Wade get reps in at Nickelback and maybe in a season or two move Wade to a Starting Cornerback with Hill and move Brown to Nickelback with his age and then draft another Cornerback to play Nickelback for after Brown is done.

We'd have a fairly young secondary if this happened.

Thats my opinion.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Are you advocating Bartell play primarily FS where he will get 5 or 6 snaps per game as the 2nd string FS? Or keep him where the coaches seem to want him, as the 1st string NB, where he'll get 15-20 snaps a game?
    For most of the season last season OJ and Brown were both absolutely horrible. Brown started out hot and OJ finished hot.

My guess is the Rams will have a battle for it and the starting lineup by mid-season will be:

Hill and Wade at CB with Brown and Rumph as backups. Safeties will be Bartell and Chavous. JMHO. I was big on OJ coming into the season last year but for most of the season he was a massive liability in the backfield.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't see any problem letting him be the nickelback and backup free safety. I mean the responsibilities of nickel defensive back are not going to be terribly different from those of a safety in coverage.

For most of the season last season OJ and Brown were both absolutely horrible. Brown started out hot and OJ finished hot.

My guess is the Rams will have a battle for it and the starting lineup by mid-season will be:

Hill and Wade at CB with Brown and Rumph as backups. Safeties will be Bartell and Chavous. JMHO. I was big on OJ coming into the season last year but for most of the season he was a massive liability in the backfield.
    Brown gave up some big plays, but overall I don't think his play was that bad. He kept pretty tight coverage on receivers. I'd be really surprised if Wade is starting over him by mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Brown gave up some big plays, but overall I don't think his play was that bad. He kept pretty tight coverage on receivers. I'd be really surprised if Wade is starting over him by mid-season.
    You and I weren't watching the same games. The second half of the year the teams were going almost exclusively to his side of the field on passing downs. It was the Chicago game when Rex Grossman wasn't even looking at anyone else when he stepped back to throw. I sat next to some Bears fans for that game and showed them what would be happening and by the late 3rd quarter they were wondering if Tye Hill was a pro-bowler or if Brown was that horrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast