Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rookie Laurinaitis is built Ram-tough

Rookie Laurinaitis is built Ram-tough
    Posted: August 6th, 2009
    Steve Wyche

Just got done talking to Rams rookie linebacker James Laurinaitis. What an impressive guy. The second-round pick will eventually start at middle linebacker but right now, he’s working behind veteran Chris Draft.

Laurinaitis definitely looks the part of a middle linebacker. At 6-foot-2 and 244 pounds, he’s the bigger, more physical-type new coach Steve Spagnuolo and GM Billy Devaney wanted when they made over the roster in the offseason.

Laurinaitis, who will call the plays on defense, told me how he took extensive notes after his first minicamp and studied tape in the weeks leading up to OTAs so when he got back, he knew all the calls and audibles. Laurinaitis also said he watched a ton of video of Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who played in Spagnuolo’s system in New York.

The Rams are making their rookies earn starting jobs but Laurinaitis has put himself on track to be manning the middle in the near future.

– Steve Wyche

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Rookie Laurinaitis is built Ram-tough

Excellent news to hear, as always. Cannot wait for Laurinaitis to be a star in St. Louis.

viper is offline Registered User

I can't wait to see him on the field. He should be able to help the defense step it up this year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He's going to be a beast! Let's just hope that the DT's can keep the O line off of him so that he can create some major havok!

HornyRam is offline Registered User

I know alot of guys wanted Curry, and I must admit I was one of those guys. Having said that, I'm pleased with everything I've since discovered about 'Naitis and satisfied that he is a member of our Rams defense.

For what it's worth, as of today, it is very reasonable to think that 'Naitis is quite a ways ahead of Curry on the learning curve. Curry has not signed with the Seahawks and is a camp no-show to this point.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I can't wait for him to start. I think he is going to be a beast on the field.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Laurinaitis, who will call the plays on defense, told me how he took extensive notes after his first minicamp and studied tape in the weeks leading up to OTAs so when he got back, he knew all the calls and audibles. Laurinaitis also said he watched a ton of video of Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who played in Spagnuolo’s system in New York.
    Guys, it's stuff like this that separate the successful from the also-ran. Every player on every NFL roster is physically gifted and athletic. But the best do what this kid is doing.

To echo Horny, I too was a HUGE advocate for "Curry-Rd.1" and "Best OT Avail - Rd. 2". But as of right now, I am extremely happy draft weekend did NOT go the way I wanted.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

lets look back at the draft when we talk about the Curry 1st, best avalilable OT 2nd.

Lets assume if we took Curry, that Smith would go 4th overall to the Seahawks. This should mean that the rest of the draft remains the same as it turned out (not necessarily true but for the sake of argument lets just say thats what happened)

With Curry in the first, available to us in the second would be the following OTs:
    Eben Britton
    Max Ungar
    Phill Loadholt
    Sebastian Vollmer

Out of that lot, Britton would have probably been the pick.

Now Curry/Britton might turn out to be the better players, we dont know. But im much happier with Smith/Laurinaitis than i would be the other scenario.

jackson3909 is online now Registered User

agreed tomahawk. smith and JL were the right choices so far.

smith was very similair as JL in a interveiw saying how he needs to earn his job and respect around his teamates. thses the guys can be studs for the next 10 years. they seem to put the team first as the prorities in the interview

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Really looking forward to seeing this guy fill a spot that has been a need area for us for a long time.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

After seeing Laurinaitis at the scrimmage and seeing him up close at the autograph section, there is zero chance he is anywhere near 244 lbs. He's much closer to the 220 range. Spoon is bigger and I'd say James is looking more along the Pisa size right now.

I don't think it really matters but he's NOT 244. Wistrom used to be labeled 290 and he was routinely in the 260 range early in his career.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

HE can be Pisa' size, but if he is healthy, we got a gem in the 2nd round.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree, I think this guy will just be hugh for this defense,in fact I like the entire defense.

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    After seeing Laurinaitis at the scrimmage and seeing him up close at the autograph section, there is zero chance he is anywhere near 244 lbs. He's much closer to the 220 range. Spoon is bigger and I'd say James is looking more along the Pisa size right now.

I don't think it really matters but he's NOT 244. Wistrom used to be labeled 290 and he was routinely in the 260 range early in his career.
    I hope you're not offended, but I'd like to see something a bit more official before I just take your word on this. Seems we'd have heard something from the combine, pro-day, or the numerous scouts out there, if 'Naitis was only in the 220 range.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

A training partner of mine interned at Westside Barbell in Columbus, OH this past spring. After the combine, JL started training at Westside and worked directly with my friend. JL "appears" small. In fact, my friend (who goes about 230) says, in a mirror, he is bigger than JL. However, JL weighed in between 240 and 245 on a regular basis.

Some people just weigh more than they look.

Believe me, or don't; that's up to you. However, that is direct knowledge of the situation that might help.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast