AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rookie QB Passer Ratings (Preseason)

Here are the numbers:

Sam Bradford, Rams: 95.9
    Tim Tebow, Broncos: 88.0
    Colt McCoy, Browns: 65.3
    Dan LeFevour, Bears: 59.4
    Jimmy Clausen, Panthers: 47.6

Now, before anyone presumes that I'm assigning too much significance to preseason stats, I'm not. I get that these numbers are not necessarily indicative of how these players will perform in the regular season. However, I do think there are a few noteworthy tidbits:

1. Bradford, unlike the other four, started two preseason games and, therefore, acheived some of his success against starters (at least in the Patriots game).

2. Tebow performed better than I would have expected. However, if you watch the film of his two interceptions, you can see exactly why he's not starting in Denver. Weak, telegraphed throws into traffic get you into trouble in the NFL.

3. Colt McCoy's numbers are a bit skewed. Before Game 4, when he played against many future UFL players, his numbers were pretty bad.

4. Jimmy Clausen was hailed as the most "NFL ready" of the prospects, having played in a "Pro style offense" at Notre Dame. That certainly has not translated to his play thus far.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rookie QB Passer Ratings (Preseason)

Obviously happy to see Bradford has done very well. Also happy to see that Tebow (not as happy as I am for Bradford) is doing okay.

Bradford is our starter from here on in....take a seat Mr Feeley!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I read somewhere that McCoy is actually at risk of getting cut.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are the numbers:

Sam Bradford, Rams: 95.9
    Tim Tebow, Broncos: 88.0
    Colt McCoy, Browns: 65.3
    Dan LeFevour, Bears: 59.4
    Jimmy Clausen, Panthers: 47.6

Now, before anyone presumes that I'm assigning too much significance to preseason stats, I'm not. I get that these numbers are not necessarily indicative of how these players will perform in the regular season. However, I do think there are a few noteworthy tidbits:

1. Bradford, unlike the other four, started two preseason games and, therefore, acheived some of his success against starters (at least in the Patriots game).

2. Tebow performed better than I would have expected. However, if you watch the film of his two interceptions, you can see exactly why he's not starting in Denver. Weak, telegraphed throws into traffic get you into trouble in the NFL.

3. Colt McCoy's numbers are a bit skewed. Before Game 4, when he played against many future UFL players, his numbers were pretty bad.

4. Jimmy Clausen was hailed as the most "NFL ready" of the prospects, having played in a "Pro style offense" at Notre Dame. That certainly has not translated to his play thus far.
    The rating doesn't even kick in unless a QB has thrown at least 14 passes a game.One good drive or one mistake can skew those numbers radically. None of these guys qualify. So I think you need to have watched all the games to assess where these guys are in their development. I haven't so I can't really say whether the difference is a fair representation of where they are individually except that you have to be pleased with Sam's progress & what I think it represents in the big picture sense.

Sam did start & probably play more vs #1s but he also practiced more with his own #1s. It speaks well of a lot of things that he was so successful; from the coaches who were nurturing him to his own maturity,poise, work ethic,and intelligence but also the progress that the offense overall has made.All 4 Rams QBs enjoyed a lot better protection and productivity from the pass catchers and RBs than I had dared to hope. The RBs were still sketchy at times - some of it blocking, some just poor play in themselves- but the blitz protection by RBs has improved dramatically,eg Darby deserves a major assist for his block on Sam's TD vs Balt.

Just a glance at the stats for QB groups like those in Carolina seems to tell a very different story. 16 sacks in four games?! That might even get a scream of frustration out of Bulger. Result; not a single passing TD & completion % down around 50%. Clearly there's more wrong with The Panthers' pass game than booting Delhomme could fix.

In short, I think a significant part of why Sam is lookin' so good is because The Rams team is lookin' relatively good;progress from the young vets like DA and promising production from rookies like Uh-oh along with a healthy OL and a D that gets him the ball back. I hasten to add that I'm sure the relationship is symbiotic but he isn't creating that success alone.

The really exciting thing is we haven't even let The Beast out of his shark cage yet!
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Also, unlike all the other top rookie QBs (Tebow, Clausen, McCoy), Bradford has yet to throw an interception.

This by far is one of the most important things.

I know there were a couple chances for ints during the Browns game, but overall, Bradford has shown amazing awareness of protecting the football and placing it in the area in which only the WR can get it. He also doesn't throw any erratic passes.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Typical Notre Dame hype. Every time a quarterback comes out of Notre Dame, the media hails him as the next Joe Montana. ESPN loves how "pro-ready" they are due to the offense, while forgetting that every other quarterback out of Notre Dame besides Joe Montana has been awful in the pros. Also, you could easily tell with how Clausen played in college that he wasn't that good (threw a lot of bad "jump ball" passes where Golden Tate would haul it in over a 5'6" corner).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm glad to see Bradford at the top of the pack, but as you said, these numbers aren't indicative of how well a quarterback will do in the regular season or in years to come, so how much can be taken from them? For instance, Matt Leinart's rookie preseason QB rating in 2006 was on par with Bradford's. I'm not saying this to try and pop anyone's balloon, but I'm just trying to temper my excitement until this kind of stuff carries over to the games that matter. I tend to agree with Azul; if we want to compare the rookie quarterbacks at this point, observations from what's seen on the field is going to be more meaningful than numbers at this point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MACD is offline Registered User

Hey, I'll have my popcorn ready and settle in for a great season of Rams football. I'm confident Sam will bring it every week.