3. Chris Givens, St. Louis Rams: 197
    4. T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts: 196
    5. Alshon Jeffrey, Chicago Bears: 184
    6. Demarious Johnson, Philadelphia Eagles: 124
    7. Justin Blackmon, Jacksonville Jaguars: 119
    8. Stephen Hill, New York Jets: 112
    9. T.J. Graham, Buffalo Bills: 99
    10. RodStreater, Oakland Raiders: 92

Other notables: Reuben Randle (NYG): 86, Michael Floyd (AZ): 84, Brian Quick (STL): 20, Ryan Broyles (DET): 0

Though these numbers don't tell us which rookie WRs will have the best careers, I do think we can glean some conclusions from them:

• Most rookie WRs don't start their careers the way A.J. Green did. Right now, nobody is on pace for 1,000 yards.
    • Chris Givens is off to a nice start, and seems to be progressing.
    • If the Rams are going to draft a WR in Round 1 next year, he should be someone viewed as a special talent. Otherwise, don't expect an immediate impact (this could lead to the conclusion that we should look to FA for a WR).
    • It is interesting that the top two on the list right now both went to Baylor. To me, that might be a good reason to give additional consideration to Terrance Williams (Baylor's Senior WR who currently leads the NCAA in receiving yards) in next year's draft.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-15-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Nick likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Rookie WR Stats Tell An Interesting Story

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    [*]If the Rams are going to draft a WR in Round 1 next year, he should be someone viewed as a special talent. Otherwise, don't expect an immediate impact (this could lead to the conclusion that we should look to FA for a WR).
    For almost ever, wide receivers have needed 3 years to reach their potential. That's been the case for decades and it's still the case for all but a rare few. If you draft a WR expecting immediate results, it's your fault when the player doesn't deliver.
    PARamfan likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I was thinking of posting something on Givens today as well Av. He is becoming my favorite player.

I read last week that Bradford and Givens, run routes during down time during practice and then stay after practice for more reps. Givens did not catch one ball from Bradford in a preseason game they never played at the same time. The last three weeks Givens role has expanded and the results are in:

Givens made one catch for 52 yards Week 4 against the Hawks, another for a 51-yard touchdown Week 5 against the Cards and three balls for 85 yards in Week 6 in Miami against the Dolphins. Givens was targeted seven times on Sunday and one went for 65 yards.

He has taken the top off the defense at least six times this year. One deep-ball was under thrown by Bradford that may have been the biggest play of his career. Teams have to respect our deep ball now. As his route running becomes better he will be able to get separation on the shorter routes as well. How he plays the rest of the year will definitely impact what we do in the draft.

If the Rams are going to draft a WR in Round 1 next year, he should be someone viewed as a special talent. Otherwise, don't expect an immediate impact (this could lead to the conclusion that we should look to FA for a WR)
    Is there a talent like that is this draft and if so will we even have a shot at landing him? I would think that would be a top five pick.

We have a lot of football to go. I'm excited to see what Givens does the rest of the way.

Could you imagine if we look back and found our number one receiver in round four and our feature running back in the seventh round. Considering we have so many pick that would just make it all the sweeter!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Could you imagine if we look back and found our number one receiver in round four and our feature running back in the seventh round. Considering we have so many pick that would just make it all the sweeter!
    And people would complain they wasted 2nd round picks.

Givens' ability to get deep reminds me of Torrey Smith. Once you've displayed the speed, CBs will be forced to respect it and give you a bigger cushion leading to easier receptions. He isn't just speed, he has the hands to get 3 easy 5 yard receptions per game to go with those deep routes.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    And people would complain they wasted 2nd round picks.

Givens' ability to get deep reminds me of Torrey Smith. Once you've displayed the speed, CBs will be forced to respect it and give you a bigger cushion leading to easier receptions. He isn't just speed, he has the hands to get 3 easy 5 yard receptions per game to go with those deep routes.
    How true, scary thing is he reminds me of Torrey Smith as well. I know Quick is a work in progress but the two of them could be awesome in a few years.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i`d like to see Givens become better at catching the close balls..short slants etc..he could become deadly in the WCO. at this stage i`ve been impressed by his speed but not had chance to see how elusive he is when having to work his way through traffic with the ball in hand.
    it`s good to have a deep threat again tho..

time for Quick to start stepping up.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Here are the current receiving yardage leaders among rookie WRs:

1. Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans: 297
    2. Josh Gordon, Cleveland Browns: 274
    3. Chris Givens, St. Louis Rams: 197
    4. T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts: 196
    5. Alshon Jeffrey, Chicago Bears: 184
    6. Demarious Johnson, Philadelphia Eagles: 124
    7. Justin Blackmon, Jacksonville Jaguars: 119
    8. Stephen Hill, New York Jets: 112
    9. T.J. Graham, Buffalo Bills: 99
    10. RodStreater, Oakland Raiders: 92

Other notables: Reuben Randle (NYG): 86, Michael Floyd (AZ): 84, Brian Quick (STL): 20, Ryan Broyles (DET): 0

Though these numbers don't tell us which rookie WRs will have the best careers, I do think we can glean some conclusions from them:

• Most rookie WRs don't start their careers the way A.J. Green did. Right now, nobody is on pace for 1,000 yards.
    • Chris Givens is off to a nice start, and seems to be progressing.
    • If the Rams are going to draft a WR in Round 1 next year, he should be someone viewed as a special talent. Otherwise, don't expect an immediate impact (this could lead to the conclusion that we should look to FA for a WR).
    • It is interesting that the top two on the list right now both went to Baylor. To me, that might be a good reason to give additional consideration to Terrance Williams (Baylor's Senior WR who currently leads the NCAA in receiving yards) in next year's draft.
    You forgot one:
    A.J. Jenkins, San Francisco Whiners: 0...as in ZERO!!!

Bwahahahaha!!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Footnote:

Daryl Richardson is fourth among rookie RBs with 274 yards rushing (and also has 59 yards receiving).

Footnote:

Daryl Richardson is fourth among rookie RBs with 274 yards rushing (and also has 59 yards receiving).
    Considering:
    a) he's a backup and
    b) the oline he's running behind

exceptionally impressive.
    Nick likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I LOVE D.Rich. I have some sort of man crush on him. Cant wait to see him as the #1.

THE DREAM TEAM

richtree is offline Registered User

The one thing you have to be happy about is the trade down , down, down in the draft....

None of these seems to be great WRs and maybe this years draft will have better depth.....

I think our team is so close once we get 1 or 2 good draft picks and FA moves., look out !!!

macrammer is online now Registered User

What pleases me the most on Givens and other rookies is that we are having positive contributions almost across the board on most of our 2012 draft class. A draft that looks rather meaningful in talent depth......Finally

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

And Givens was drafted after Quick. Shows that you can get hidden gems in any round.

See: Darryl Richardson.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer to judging receivers. Because a guy has a year that doesn't live up to the immediate expectations of fans doesn't mean the guy is a bum. Conversely, countless receivers over the years ranging from Hall of Fame caliber to average players have had 700-800 yards in their 1st full year in the league. Plus, there are other factors: who is throwing to him? how is his surrounding cast? does the team have a decent running attack?

What is encouraging about Givens is that we've seen tangible progress- most notably in the form of contributions from big plays. With Quick, I am more concerned because we haven't seen much yet. Fans have to see signs of improvement from week to week. Asking them to have blind faith is asking too much.