RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rooney Rule Or Not, Haslett Deserves To Keep Coach's Job"

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/21/2008

On Sunday afternoon inside the energized Rams locker room, you couldn't walk two paces without seeing a smiling face, hearing an energized voice or seeing some upbeat player, coach or front-office type trying to diplomatically unravel the little mystery that is no mystery at all:

Jim Haslett really is that good.

No one was in a dream world. They weren't behaving like they were suddenly an invincible, arrogant juggernaut. The Rams are going to lose a football game, and they know it. But here's what they said on and off the record: Never underestimate the value of the man who knows how to be in charge.

We have spent the better part of the past two and a half seasons learning what happens when power is placed in the wrong hands. Now after only two games and three weeks under Haslett's direction, we are seeing just how much the right leadership does matter.
    The once-woeful Rams are infinitely better today than 24 days ago, and that's not going to change in another game or 10 more weeks. That's why after two years of bashing this organization for its spectacular incompetence, it's time to praise them for pulling off a stunning personnel move.

Hiring Haslett was the first step in the important process that tells St. Louis and the NFL that owner Chip Rosenbloom is walking out of his late mother's imposing shadow. The second step will be making sure that Haslett stays here long enough to finish the job.

So tear up that clause that promises him the job if he wins six or more games. Put it in writing right now that this is Haslett's job, period. And if you have to convince the commissioner there needs to be an exception to the Rooney Rule to make this happen, I'm available to help you state your case.

I love the Rooney Rule and everything it represents. It does not force owners to hire minority coaches and never was intended to do that. It was created to provide equal opportunity for qualified, but under-the-radar candidates to simply get in the room to state their case. Recent history has shown countless examples of what happens when the hiring field is level (Tony Dungy, Lovey Smith, Dennis Green and Mike Tomlin, just to name a few).

But there should be exceptions to every rule. Common sense and practicality ought to play some part in those policies or they become a mockery.

Imagine what sort of ethical quandary NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could find himself in if this scenario unfolds by season's end:

Haslett, who by the way is not an interim head coach, completes this miraculous Rams turnaround with the almost inconceivable circumstance of nine or 10 victories in his 12-game stint and leads the Rams into the postseason as the NFC West champs. At the same time, San Francisco's newly appointed boss Mike Singletary, who was given the job Monday evening when Mike Nolan was fired after a 2-5 start, leads the ***** to a similarly impressive turnaround.

If Haslett is sitting there at the end of the season with even seven, eight or nine wins, and Singletary has six or seven victories on his ledger, too, they should both be treated as though they were in the protective shadow of the existing head coach's deal, not as mere caretakers of vacated thrones.

But according to the Rooney Rule, the Rams will have to re-open their job at the end of the season no matter what to allow a diverse pool of applicants for a job that every reasonable person should understand would deservedly belong to Haslett. It's not so clear that the Niners would have to do the same thing because their new coach Singletary is a minority member. Either way, those circumstances should be covered under the Rooney Rule, and right now they aren't.

Let me be clear: I am one of the strongest voices of support for the obvious benefits that the Rooney Rule has provided. Since its inception in 2003, the minority head coaching ranks rose from 6 percent to 22 percent in only three years.

I hope this all plays out well for Haslett, and that Rosenbloom proves to be savvy enough to find a way to secure his services before his new coach becomes the most valued coaching free agent of the offseason. Haslett is one of those shrewd souls who can push all the right buttons, and everyone in the Rams' locker room knows it.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Rooney Rule Or Not, Haslett Deserves To Keep Coach's Job"

why mention Dennis Green? He was/is a bum.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Ownership of the RAMS wants Haslett for 2009 or beyond and let's Haslett know that, Isn't the rest just a formality? Basically a waste of time and money that should be focused on the team and it's leadership?

I'm open for discussion....

Truth is offline Registered User

Haslett might very well be "the guy" for the Rams. The team seems to be responding well. However, I see no need to rush to sign him now. I'd like to see more than 2 games under Haslett. Let's see how the rest of the season progresses. I think his clause is fair. If he goes 6-6 or better, he gets signed. Depending on the effort displayed by the team, I might even consider him if we went 5-7 thru the 12 games he has as HC.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Haslett might very well be "the guy" for the Rams. The team seems to be responding well. However, I see no need to rush to sign him now. I'd like to see more than 2 games under Haslett. Let's see how the rest of the season progresses. I think his clause is fair. If he goes 6-6 or better, he gets signed. Depending on the effort displayed by the team, I might even consider him if we went 5-7 thru the 12 games he has as HC.
    Oh, I agree. I would drag this out at least until the season is over.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I wonder what Linehan's take of everything is. I'm sure he's trying to rationalize these wins, but you can't. He sucked! And he's gone! Woohoo!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by LARAM0 View Post
    Oh, I agree. I would drag this out at least until the season is over.

Same here, agree 100%!