Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Rosenbloom pledges change if Rams dont turn it around.

ST. LOUIS -- A day after unleashing a lengthy tirade about his winless team's poor play, St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan was more positive Monday about turning the season around, saying, "I don't have a choice and neither does anybody else around here."

That reality became more apparent when team owner Chip Rosenbloom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the team's play was "not acceptable" and warned changes will come if things don't improve.
    The Rams, 3-13 last season, have in two weeks endured a pair of lopsided losses -- a 38-3 drubbing by the Eagles in Week 1 and a 41-13 loss to the Giants on Sunday, in which they were outscored 28-7 in the second half and gave up six sacks.

Things are bad enough in St. Louis that Las Vegas has installed the Seahawks, who are also 0-2 and have been swamped by an early wave of injuries, as 10-point favorites.

NFC West blog

ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog. Blog network: NFL Nation

Just how bad are the Rams?

The offense is 3-for-26 on third-down conversions, has yet to run a play inside the opponent's 20-yard line and has allowed quarterback Marc Bulger to absorb 10 sacks. The defense has coughed up 963 total yards and allowed a league-high 79 points.

When Rosenbloom assumed control of the team in January after his mother, team owner Georgia Frontiere, passed away, he said there would be no sudden changes until he could evaluate the team. But in an interview with the Post-Dispatch, he made it clear that he's seen enough.

"Obviously, the game of football is about winning," Rosenbloom said, according to the report. "The level of play is not acceptable to me or anybody in the organization."

In the interview, Rosenbloom asked that the team's fans remain patient.

"I am happy for this team to be in St. Louis, where we have an appreciative fan base," he said, according to the report. "And I hope that the fans will not waver in support of their team -- even when times are a little tough."

But he also pledged that change would come if things don't improve.

"Things will get better," Rosenbloom said. "And if they don't, changes will be made."

Linehan, who is normally soft-spoken but unleashed a lengthy diatribe after Sunday's loss, tried to be more upbeat a day later.

"In my mind, we're going to beat Seattle," Linehan said. "I'm not making any guarantees. In my mind we're going to beat Seattle and we're going to right this ship, OK, because we don't have a choice.

"When you don't win games, people are going to want the head coach's head. That's the way it works," Linehan added. "I've accepted that only as part of the job, but not as part of where we're going."

Jokingly, Linehan said he thought about radically altering the schedule in search of a positive result, perhaps by holding practice at midnight and having players sleep during the day. Seriously, he noted it was pointless to worry about practicing the red zone offense until the Rams get there.

"We could eat baloney sandwiches on Wednesday, penalize the team for not playing very good," Linehan said. "We could try all that stuff. The bottom line is it's how we play on Sunday and what we do when we get in those moments that's going to decide our fate."

Linehan did, however, hint at personnel changes this week. The list of potential candidates could include safety Corey Chavous, cornerback Tye Hill, wide receiver Dane Looker and offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Nick Leckey.

Linehan was 8-8 in 2006, his first season as a head coach at any level. But the Rams are in the midst of a sorry 3-15 skid dating to last season, and echoes of their 0-8 start last year are lingering with an increasingly hostile fan base.

Thus far the addition of offensive coordinator Al Saunders is an early-season flop -- the Rams scored their only touchdown of the season on a fluke play against the Giants. And the statistics only hint at how much the offense is struggling: Sunday, Bulger limped away after Jackson bumped knees with him on one handoff, and Jackson tripped on the turf on what could have been a 66-yard touchdown run.

"I think it's a fragile group and we've got to stay the course," Saunders said. "I'm disappointed, certainly. I'm not discouraged about these guys, because I know what we can do down the road."

The defense has been every bit as shaky. The Giants had six gains of 28 yards or more while foiling the Rams' pregame strategy of controlling the run and stopping Plaxico Burress.

"I think there are some individuals lacking confidence," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "They just need to go out and play."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Owner Rosenbloom pledges change if Rams don't turn it around

ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 16, 2008

ST. LOUIS -- A day after unleashing a lengthy tirade about his winless team's poor play, St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan was more positive Monday about turning the season around, saying, "I don't have a choice and neither does anybody else around here."

That reality became more apparent when team owner Chip Rosenbloom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the team's play was "not acceptable" and warned changes will come if things don't improve.

The Rams, 3-13 last season, have in two weeks endured a pair of lopsided losses -- a 38-3 drubbing by the Eagles in Week 1 and a 41-13 loss to the Giants on Sunday, in which they were outscored 28-7 in the second half and gave up six sacks.

Things are bad enough in St. Louis that Las Vegas has installed the Seahawks, who are also 0-2 and have been swamped by an early wave of injuries, as 10-point favorites.

Just how bad are the Rams?

The offense is 3-for-26 on third-down conversions, has yet to run a play inside the opponent's 20-yard line and has allowed quarterback Marc Bulger to absorb 10 sacks. The defense has coughed up 963 total yards and allowed a league-high 79 points.

When Rosenbloom assumed control of the team in January after his mother, team owner Georgia Frontiere, passed away, he said there would be no sudden changes until he could evaluate the team. But in an interview with the Post-Dispatch, he made it clear that he's seen enough.

"Obviously, the game of football is about winning," Rosenbloom said, according to the report. "The level of play is not acceptable to me or anybody in the organization."

In the interview, Rosenbloom asked that the team's fans remain patient.

"I am happy for this team to be in St. Louis, where we have an appreciative fan base," he said, according to the report. "And I hope that the fans will not waver in support of their team -- even when times are a little tough."

But he also pledged that change would come if things don't improve.

"Things will get better," Rosenbloom said. "And if they don't, changes will be made."

Linehan, who is normally soft-spoken but unleashed a lengthy diatribe after Sunday's loss, tried to be more upbeat a day later.

"In my mind, we're going to beat Seattle," Linehan said. "I'm not making any guarantees. In my mind we're going to beat Seattle and we're going to right this ship, OK, because we don't have a choice.

"When you don't win games, people are going to want the head coach's head. That's the way it works," Linehan added. "I've accepted that only as part of the job, but not as part of where we're going."

Jokingly, Linehan said he thought about radically altering the schedule in search of a positive result, perhaps by holding practice at midnight and having players sleep during the day. Seriously, he noted it was pointless to worry about practicing the red zone offense until the Rams get there.

"We could eat baloney sandwiches on Wednesday, penalize the team for not playing very good," Linehan said. "We could try all that stuff. The bottom line is it's how we play on Sunday and what we do when we get in those moments that's going to decide our fate."

Linehan did, however, hint at personnel changes this week. The list of potential candidates could include safety Corey Chavous, cornerback Tye Hill, wide receiver Dane Looker and offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Nick Leckey.

Linehan was 8-8 in 2006, his first season as a head coach at any level. But the Rams are in the midst of a sorry 3-15 skid dating to last season, and echoes of their 0-8 start last year are lingering with an increasingly hostile fan base.

Thus far the addition of offensive coordinator Al Saunders is an early-season flop -- they scored their only touchdown of the season on a fluke play against the Giants. And the statistics only hint at how much the offense is struggling: Sunday, Bulger limped away after Jackson bumped knees with him on one handoff, and Jackson tripped on the turf on what could have been a 66-yard touchdown run.

"I think it's a fragile group and we've got to stay the course," Saunders said. "I'm disappointed, certainly. I'm not discouraged about these guys, because I know what we can do down the road."

The defense has been every bit as shaky. The Giants had six gains of 28 yards or more while foiling the Rams' pregame strategy of controlling the run and stopping Plaxico Burress.

"I think there are some individuals lacking confidence," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "They just need to go out and play."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rosenbloom pledges change if Rams dont turn it around.

Look at these responses.....
    Linehan said. "I'm not making any guarantees. In my mind we're going to beat Seattle and we're going to right this ship, OK, because we don't have a choice
    I think there are some individuals lacking confidence," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "They just need to go out and play."
    An HC, OC, & DC......none of them with any statement that points to a vision or even sense of urgency. But then....
    ....the owner finally puts an exclamation point on the coaching staff's comma!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow...we're actually going to make some changes on the field. It hurts that Romberg and Setterstrom are out. We could use a good center and a right guard.

I like the attitude Chip is showing towards the organization. Shows that he cares and the squad and coaches are working to what Chip wants. I don't blame them.

Go Rams!

sig51 is offline Registered User

It looks as though chip might give a **** after all.

btimsah Guest

On both sides of the ball? Player mentality is more of a problem than anything with this team. It's like the entire team is a race car driver who's been in a bad accident and can't get back out there.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    ST. LOUIS --
    Great. Now if he could only block, tackle, pass and catch the football, we might win. My concern is that I'm not sure that in the players' minds they think they're going to win Sunday. Wow, what has happened to this team?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

This is what I was looking for,someone to step up and say something meaningful,Chip did that,now I think it is safe to say this type of play will change or people will be gone.I am satisfied for now,hopefully these changes will be made quickly because I don't see the play of this team changing anytime soon.

Truth is online now Registered User

Although I'm happy to hear something from the ownership, we that have been fans for awhile have heard this stuff before. What I want to see are results.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Although I'm happy to hear something from the ownership, we that have been fans for awhile have heard this stuff before. What I want to see are results.
    True, but from the owner? I think the very act of ownership being vocal is a huge step in the right direction. Georgia never made comments like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm much too cynical at this point to think anything other than Chip's pissed because the value of the team is dropping and it will hurt his bottom line once it finally happens.

Exactly what kind of threat is it to be sent away from a sinking ship? If you don't shape up, we're going to trade you or cut you so that teams that are winning can pick you up. So, watch out!

Milan is offline Registered User

What's it mean by personnel changes, then mentioning Looker as one of the candidates? He'd better not be getting cut.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I am happy that Chip Rosenbloom has become visible through these comments. He said what needed to be said. Time will tell if these "changes" come to fruition or "moklerman's" cynicism is warranted. I have a feeling the changes would include getting rid of Linehan and cutting several unproductive players. Something needs to be done to light a fire under these guys. If losing 15 ball games in 18 weeks doesn't necessitate change, I don't know what does.

Linehan seems to have finally cracked under the weight of all these struggles. His comments suggest a man struggling to stay afloat, and unsure of exactly what to do to remedy this mess.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

this is what i like to see now lets see if he can put his money where his mouth is or bill Cowhers or Marty schotenheimer if you want to be literal

mdram is offline Registered User

Just get zagnut out of there, that would be the first step to improving this team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast