Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Rosenbloom's Death. (What I was told)

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    Getting caught with some high rollers wife would have solved the shoe problem. I would have been fitted with some fresh concrete shoes then taken for a luxury cruise. No Thanks! LOL
    LMAO......Well you never know ole buddy, you might have been doing him a favor. Hell, who knows, maybe you'd have gotten a reward.

RamTime Guest

One thing for sure. Money comes before love and romance there. If you gave them a choice of money or oxygen to live on the overwhelming response would be $$$ no doubt. So maybe your right. Maybe its just what he needed to curb the alimony payment. Hell all I know for sure is they walk to the beat of a different banker.

jjsram is offline Registered User

Fantastic read, RamTime. Great memories for you. I'm with Ferter, I think you were supposed to be her appetizer .

RamTime Guest

About Eddie LeBaron

Former Redskins quarterback Eddie LeBaron, inducted last week into the Bay Area Hall of Fame (for his exploits at Pacific), told this story to Tom FitzGerald of the San Francisco Chronicle:
    "I was 12 years old when I went to high school. They wouldn't let you play until you were 15. That first year, I served as a tackling dummy. Over the summer, I gained 20 pounds, a couple of inches in height -- and three years in age. I was the only kid who was 15 three straight years."
    That means -- I just looked it up -- LeBaron was a mere two weeks past his 20th birthday when the Redskins drafted him in the 10th round in 1950. He was younger, in other words, than Maurice Clarett will be when he's drafted (presumably) next month -- and yet, Clarett's eligibility has stirred a national debate.
    (LeBaron didn't actually play for the Redskins until the 1952 season, when he was 22. He spent the intervening two years as a lieutenant with the Marines in Korea.)

EDDIE LeBARON

Eddie LeBaron was the youngest officer in the U.S. Marine Corps when he accepted a commission in 1950. He was 20.

Being a platoon leader is, LeBaron says, "like being a quarterback on a football team."

LeBaron, who stood 5-foot-9 and weighed 180 pounds, earned the nickname the "Littlest General" for the nine months he spent fighting in the Korean War and for the 11 seasons he spent in the NFL, including four with the Cowboys.

LeBaron joined the Marine Reserves while at the University of Pacific, where he was an All-American in 1949. On June 25, 1950, North Korean troops invaded South Korea, forcing many NFL reservists to report for duty. LeBaron, a 10th-round pick of the Washington Redskins that year, was practicing for the college all-star game against the NFL champion Phildelphia Eagles when he was called up. He played in that game and two preseason games for the Redskins before he reported for duty.

LeBaron, who spent seven months on the front line, was awarded the Bronze Star after taking charge of an assaulting rifle platoon in his area that lost its commander during a battle at Heartbreak Ridge.

"You do whatever has to be done," said LeBaron, who keeps the Bronze Star in a drawer.

LeBaron was wounded twice. He was hit in the shoulder by shrapnel from an artillery shell, and a mortar shell left him with a leg injury.

"The hairiest time was at the Punch Bowl at the end of my tour of duty," said LeBaron, now 74. "We went across a mine field, and one of the guys right next to me got his leg blown off. I carried him back until we found a medic. Then, I had to go back across. When you're an athlete, and you see people getting their legs blown off, it's a pretty difficult thing. You learn to run lightly."

LeBaron survived to fulfill his other dream. He reported to the Redskins in 1952 and was the NFL Rookie of the Year. He led the league in passing in 1958, and was a four-time Pro Bowl selection.

"I'm very proud to have been a Marine," said LeBaron, who earned a law degree from George Washington and became an attorney. "When I was a kid, I wanted to play ball, and I wanted to be a Marine, and I got to do both. I don't think I could be more proud of one than the other."
    Last edited by RamTime; -08-25-2004 at 03:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12