Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Roughing the passer and the non safety call

I was wondering how you guys felt about two of the calls by the officials.

The first one was involved Bulger getting hit after he threw the ball to McMichael who coughed it up. I thought that the Redskins recovered the ball, but I could be wrong. A flag gets thrown and we get a first down and keep the ball. I did not think that Bukger got hit worse than other times in the game and was surprised at the call. What did others think of this call?

The other call that had me confused was when the D had Campbell caught in the end zone with his knees down and somehow did not award us the safety. Does anyone know why that was not called a safety? That would have tied the game at that point.

These were two calls that I disagreed with. Thoughts?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Roughing the passer and the non safety call

As a loyal and unbiased Rams fan for the rest of my life, I believe there is only one correct answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    The first one was involved Bulger getting hit after he threw the ball to McMichael who coughed it up. I thought that the Redskins recovered the ball, but I could be wrong. A flag gets thrown and we get a first down and keep the ball. I did not think that Bukger got hit worse than other times in the game and was surprised at the call. What did others think of this call?
    Great call. Bulger was clearly hit hard. Personally, I think it should have been taken further, either in the form of the entire Skins' front 7 being ejected or a compensatory TD for the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Utter
    The other call that had me confused was when the D had Campbell caught in the end zone with his knees down and somehow did not award us the safety. Does anyone know why that was not called a safety? That would have tied the game at that point.
    Horrible call. The D clearly had Campbell trapped in the endzone and should have been awarded a safety. Personally, I think it should have been taken further, either in the form of the entire Skins' front 7 being ejected or a compensatory TD for the Rams.

Lol at all those ejections.

No seriously though, for the roughing the passer call, did we recover the fumble or not? I did not see who came up with it. If the redskins recovered, shouldn't they get to keep the ball since the foul happened after the ball was thrown?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

It wasn't a safety. the ball was out of the end zone when Campbell's knee hit the ground. It isn't where the knee hits the ground that matters, it's where the ball is when the knee hits the ground. No safety, good call.

I think the ball was in the end zone when his knees went down and then he extended out of the end zone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

longfan is offline Registered User

my DVR says the end of the ball was over the chalk with his knee down...

imo.. should have been a safety..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

These were two calls that I disagreed with. Thoughts?
    R-t-P call: If I were a Skins fan, I'd probably complain about this one, however I think the zebras made the right call. The hit and the ball leaving Bulger's hand were not in the same move, so I can see the call. It certainly worked out well since, as you noted, we did not recover that fumble.

non-safety call: From my angle, it looked like the ball was out of the zone before Campbell's hit the ground. But that's just what I saw.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

really don't care about the calls. I'm glad to see that the Rams are finally starting to move the ball. The D really played inspired. I'm not so concerned that we lost as I see major improvement from last week to this week. If they can keep making improvements from week to week, with no major set backs, we have a very good team in the making on our hands.

So the rule for safeties is sort of the opposite of tds. For TDs, if you get the tip of the ball over the line, you are considered in the end zone, and you get a td. For safeties, if you get the tip of the ball out of the end zone, even if you don't make it out, you are considered out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So the rule for safeties is sort of the opposite of tds. For TDs, if you get the tip of the ball over the line, you are considered in the end zone, and you get a td. For safeties, if you get the tip of the ball out of the end zone, even if you don't make it out, you are considered out?
    Actually that would be exactly true, as the placement of the ball should be at the furthest point of advancement(even if it's behind the original line of scrimmage), and so if the tip of the ball is outside of the endzone, it should not be a safety.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The only one that bothered me was the non-call for roughing the passer when Bulger clearly slid feet-first & both Carter and fat Albert took cheap shots. That's why the rule was created,no?

You might even call it a side effect of the Cogs situation. I think The Zebs are focusing on him & missing other stuff. I thought Fells, for eg, got a raw deal on his false start; the entire right side of the Skins D-line twitched. I thought that was illegal; he was drawn into it,in other words.

As to the safety, why not celebrate the first time, in either pre-season or these first two regular games, that The Rams D didn't allow a team to drive themselves out from under their goalposts?

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I agree with the roughing the passer call as Bulger took a huge hit. And I can't believe that we didn't get that safety call. Cambell was clearly in the endzone and it should have been reviewed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    I agree with the roughing the passer call as Bulger took a huge hit. And I can't believe that we didn't get that safety call. Cambell was clearly in the endzone and it should have been reviewed at least.
    clearly in the endzone........
    Campbell? Yes.
    the ball? Not so much.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    clearly in the endzone........
    Campbell? Yes.
    the ball? Not so much.
    Lol Hubison it looks like you are all over me today. Maybe I am a bit biased but I think the ball was in the endzone and if anything I think it is a play worthy of some speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    Lol Hubison it looks like you are all over me today. Maybe I am a bit biased but I think the ball was in the endzone and if anything I think it is a play worthy of some speculation.
    eh, we just happen to disagree on a couple of topics on the same day. It happens.

And yea, the exact location of the ball when Campbell's knee went down is (and should be) a valid point of speculation. To me, that is to say TO ME, the ball was out of the endzone when Campbell went down. I could be wrong on it, and would love to see some visual analysis of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast