Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Is Bradford NFL's Best Rookie?

Is Bradford NFL's best rookie?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:00 pm

QUESTION: At the midpoint of the season, is Sam Bradford the clear leader in the clubhouse for the NFLís rookie of the year award? Any real challengers?

BERNIE MIKLASZ

This has been a very good year, so far, for NFL rookies. Thereís a long list of guys who are doing a terrific job for their respective teams. I record and watch every game. Here are some of the rookies I really like:

Earl Thomas, safety, Seahawks

Dez Bryant WR, Cowboys

Mike Williams, WR, Buccaneers

T.J. Ward, safety, Browns

Eric Berry, safety, Chiefs

Jahvid Best, RB, Lions

Rodger Saffold, OT, Rams

Nate Allen, safety, Eagles

Aaron Hernandez, TE, Patriots

Brandon Spikes, LB, Patriots

Mike Iupati, G, *****

Tyson Alualu, DT, Jaguars

Alterraun Verner, CB, Titans

Tony Moeaki, TE, Chiefs

Rob Gronkowski, TE, Patriots

Iím sure Iíve left a few out.

I didnít put Sam Bradford on that ďpreliminaryĒ list. I didnít put Lions DT Ndamukong Suh on the list. I didnít put Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey on that list.

To me, theyíre the three top rookies in what should be a three-man race for Rookie of the Year.

Suh is already capable of dominating games. Heís been outstanding, with 6.5 sacks and an INT. Pouncey is going to be special; heís taken over a crucial position on a Super Bowl contender and makes all of the line calls. Pouncey is a strong blocker who has been flagged for only one penalty, and has been dinged for one sack. Pouncey has been given significant responsibility to be one of the real driving forces of that Pittsburgh team, and heís answered the call.

Unless something dramatic happens in a negative way, Bradford is the choice. Heís a transforming player. Heís taken every snap for a franchise that went 6-42 in the three seasons before his arrival. Heís cool under fire. He excels on third down, and against the blitz. Heís a leader. He makes excellent choices with the football. Heís given the team, and the fans, hope. His impact has been truly profound, and that trumps all other considerations. The Steelers already were established as a league power. Suh, while excellent, has not elevated the franchise. He is a big piece in Detroitís rebuilding project, and heíll be voted into a lot of Pro Bowls.

But no 2010 rookie can match Bradfordís singular impact on the franchise. He should win the award. But one thing Iíve learned in my three decades of employment in the major-market sports-media biz is this: there is no shortage of voters that are determined to show theyíre The Smartest Guy in the Room. Theyíll make a boutique pick in a transparent, laughable attempt to display their intellectual superiority. Iím not sure how many of these geniuses will ignore the obvious choice (Bradford) and shop elsewhere just to be different. Weíll see.

JIM THOMAS

I donít think thereís any question. A recent Sporting News poll of 100 NFL players had Sam Bradford as the landslide winner for most impressive rookie Ė he had as many votes as the rest of the field combined. I donít know how Dez Bryant can be in the picture. Many of his catches have come at garbage time in lost games. And the clear runner-up probably is Ndamukong Suh.

BRYAN BURWELL

Bernie and I were just talking about this very topic earlier today. While this has been a very good rookie class, unless someone goes all Keith Law on us, it will be very hard to find an offensive rookie who deserves this accolade more than Bradford. He is on pace for one of the best rookie seasons ever at his position, and itís hard to imagine a more demanding challenge than being a rookie starting QB in the NFL.

BILL COATS

Bradford is probably the leader at this point. But DT Ndamukong Suh of the Lions, who has 6 1/2 sacks, and WR Mike Williams of the Buccaneers, who is on pace for over 1,000 receiving yards, merit consideration, too. And perhaps Dallas WR Dez Bryant with a big second half. He already has six TDs.

JEFF GORDON

Suh is having just as good a season on the defensive side. As we heard before the draft, rookie defensive tackles seldom have a big impact. And yet Suh became a destructive force immediately. Great rookie quarterbacks are also scarce, so that gives Sam the edge if the Rams finish with a solid record. If the Rams fade and the Lions surge, you canít rule Suh out. If something bad happened to both guys and the Browns sustain their roll under Colt McCoy, then he would enter the fray.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Is Bradford NFL's Best Rookie?

Bradford's not even our best rookie.

Sooner is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Bradford's not even our best rookie.
    Wow. Texas fan?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
    Wow. Texas fan?
    Saffold fan, more likely!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It has to be Bradford. There are sportswriters that will vote for Bradford, then there's those that are sniffing glue.

How great is this draft that it has yielded a franchise QB AND (what appears to be) a franchise LT? Look back over every draft of every team.......that's an amazing draft w/o even looking at rounds 3-7.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Without question it's Bradford, who is literally saving a franchise, and doing it in very impressive fashion.

Interesting how Bernie took a simple question and practically wrote "War and Peace" to answer it.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I think Saffiold has played very well at LT, and it does bode well for the position long term. But Bradford's play, at the controls of the team, far outweighs any other player because of the sheer magnitude of imformation he's dealing with.
    I will be interested this week to see how he plays in a important division battle at San Francisco.
    Im hoping for more of the same from Bradford, and hopefully someone recieving some of these passes, to make a play in the secondary.Maybe break a tackle, or make someone miss, to make some big plays to help Bradford out.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is online now Registered User

Bradford by a big margin if you take into acount how far he's came in so short of a time and see the receivers he's had to do it with. The fact that's he's led a team that many "experts" predicted to go 1-15 again to a 4-4 record at the half way mark is beyond impressive.

Maurkice Pouncey is my 2nd place vote. Interior lineman are never the sexy choice, and far too often get overlooked, but he's done amazing since day 1 as well.

Dez "It's All About Me" Bryant? Umm no. Like Thomas pointed out, getting garbage time TDs in a blowout against 2nd stringers proves nothing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Simply put, yes he is. I think the only real challenger Bradford would have is Ndamukong Suh, who is having an outstanding season at a position where many said a rookie don't contribute immediately. That being said, since the AP gives out two awards - offensive and defensive rookies of the year - it's kind of a moot point. Bradford, IMO, is hands down the frontrunner for offensive rookie of the year for what he's been able to accomplish on this team.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Saffold fan, more likely!
    Exactly.

Not denying that Sam's done really well and will develop into an elite quarterback, but Saffold has been outstanding for a rookie. It's just that the QB position grabs all the headlines.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The bottom line for me is what impact has the guy had on his respective unit's performance? The gaudy stats make Suh look great, & he is individually, but Bradford has The Rams scoring points at nearly twice last year's rate. Detroit's defense still sucks vs the run & pass(27th/22nd) & is on pace to give up over 400 points again. The pre-draft question has been emphatically answered,imo; a great DT will not have as big an immediate impact as a top-notch QB.

Having said that, I'd like to give a runner-up shout out to my CAL guy, Jahvid Best. He leads the Lions in catches & rushing & has done it while hurt on a team that has used 3 QBs & may lose THEIR franchise guy for the rest of the year.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

ummmm... for impact of a rookie doesn't wins count for something. Just because Suh is throwing people around doesn't really equal a win.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I think you can make a valid argument for both Bradford and Suh. It depends on how you want to look at it.

Bradford- He by far has had the biggest impact on his respective team. He has grabbed the Rams by the horns and is leading them to victory. We would not be at 4-4 with any other rookie or free agent QB that was available last year. This gives him a solid vote.

Suh- When you compare his talent and impact compared to others in the league at his position, you can see why he can be rookie of the year. He is already one of the top DTs in the league.

I don't think that Bradford is at the top of his position (yet). I think that Suh is one of the best already. So it just boils down to which side of the argument you want to take.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I do believe that Colt McCoy should be on the list.

Staffold was a huge steal and I agree he should be consider for ROY. But the most impressive rookie IMHO has been Bradford.

Go Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    I think you can make a valid argument for both Bradford and Suh. It depends on how you want to look at it.

Bradford- He by far has had the biggest impact on his respective team. He has grabbed the Rams by the horns and is leading them to victory. We would not be at 4-4 with any other rookie or free agent QB that was available last year. This gives him a solid vote.

Suh- When you compare his talent and impact compared to others in the league at his position, you can see why he can be rookie of the year. He is already one of the top DTs in the league.

I don't think that Bradford is at the top of his position (yet). I think that Suh is one of the best already. So it just boils down to which side of the argument you want to take.
    Exactly, it depends on how you define the award. Are you looking for the guy who has impacted his team the most, or are you looking for the guy who is playing the best football?

Either way, it's a moot point because there are separate awards for offense and defense. But it's a fun discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I do believe that Colt McCoy should be on the list.
    Good point. McCoy looked so shaky in the preseason that some speculated he may be cut by Cleveland, but after being thrown into the fire as a starter against Pittsburgh, New England, and New Orleans, he's come out of those games with a 2-1 record and a passer rating of 83.5. That's pretty impressive, especially when you consider the talent around him (or lack there of) on that Cleveland team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast