Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Can Battered Rams Go On The Road And Beat The Giants?

Can battered Rams go on road and beat the Giants?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Thursday, September 15, 2011

QUESTION: With so many injuries piling up already, how do you like the Rams chances in New York Monday night against the Giants?

JIM THOMAS

If the Rams can pass block, they should be able to throw the ball against a less-than-stellar Giants secondary. Washington tight end Fred Davis had a 105 yards receiving against New York in the opener. So itís time to get Lance Kendricks and the tight ends going. On the other side of the ball, if the Ramsí pass rush and blitzes are as active as they were against Michael Vick and the Eagles, St. Louis might get eight sacks against Eli Manning. The Giants no doubt will try to get Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs and the running game going. So those are the three keys for the Rams: 1.) Get the passing game going; 2.) Get to Manning; 3.) Contain the Giantsí run game. If they do that, they should win.

JEFF GORDON

If the Rams had the Giants at home, Iíd like their chances a lot. The Giants have suffered many serious injury hits themselves. But for the Rams to go on the road, against a team upset about their own Week 1 failure and looking to bounce back big . . . yeah, this is not a good scenario for the Rams. I canít imagine a lot of experts will pick this team to win.

BILL COATS

The Rams are beat up, but the Giants are REALLY beat up. They lost six players, including two starters, in the preseason to season-ending injuries. I like the Ramsí chances because I think theyíll be able to run the ball, even if Steven Jackson doesnít play, and the passing game should be better, even without Danny Amendola. I expect the Ramsí defense to be stiffer against the run, too, but it could be vulnerable against the pass with Ron Bartell and possibly Bradley Fletcher out.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of ďSports Open LineĒ on KMOX)

I donít like their chances very much. Running against the Giants wonít be as easy as running against the Eagles, which means the damage will have to be done with the passing game. The Rams have a chance to do something there because NYís secondary has been ravaged by injuries but hereís where we get to the big difference between these two teams: the pass rush.

The Rams have a good pass rush, especially when they bring blitz pressure, but the Giants have elite defensive ends who will bring the heat all by themselves. Containing them wonít be easy, especially with an offensive line that looked shaky in pass blocking last week, and since theyíre more stout against the run than the Eagles front seven was itíll be even tougher to find room to work.

The Giants have many of the same injury problems as the Rams so there is a clear, realistic chance for the Rams to pull off the win. That said, the Giants are the more experienced team and Eli Manning wonít be coming off an injury to his throwing hand. Iíll take the home team in a tight game decided by a touchdown or less.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Can Battered Rams Go On The Road And Beat The Giants?

If Sam Bradford can finally settle in and put together a decent performance (ala last year against Dever) combined with his support cast coming through for him, the Rams should go in with the mind set of liking their chances against the Giants Monday night.

Spags surely had an overall good game plan against Philly,but unfortunate injuries and costly miscues lead to their defeat. With the Rams hard schedule this year, they'll need to curb such actions as best they can, to have success agianst some of the NFLs top teams they'll face this year.

I'm looking for Bradford to go on the road, knowing he didn't have his best game last week, coming to the realization that the success of this team comes on his shoulders. Sam's willingness to play through his own injuries proves he has the toughness and understands that he needs to Man up and become the leader, setting the example for the Rams under the difficulties they will face.

53 as 1, Each Ram doing their part, fear no other team at home or on the road. Injuries are apart of Football, the next Ram comes in and fills in the spots, on the depth chart.

Starting Monday night, Steve Spagnuolo and the St Louis Rams will be 'Ready for some Football!'
    Last edited by dgr828; -09-15-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I always have the attitude that the Rams can win, and the Giants game is no different. If the team does what they are capable of doing and keeps mistakes to a minimum, a win is very possible. My only real concern is in the secondary without Bartell, that's where someone has to step up. Hopefully the DL can help make that happen.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

let us all hope that Al harris can turn the clocks back and play like the shutdown corner he used to be in green bay,and not a 36 year old over the hill guy who still "thinks" he can play . If we bring pressure like we did to vick i am sure we will disrupt the giants offense just as long as we contain the run. our offense should be fine philly has a DOMINATING secondary and the giants are lacking in that department .
    Torry Holt Dont play that

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When the Rams are preparing for their trip to Green Bay, I'll have a hard time envisioning a win. I might say the same for the game at Pittsburgh.

Beyond that, my answer will be the same every week.

Yes, the Rams most certainly CAN win.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm thinking this will be a defensive battle. Both QB's are going to under alot of pressure as in pass rush. Eli will not be able to avoid our guys like Vick did. Eli will also try to force things through the air which could give us multiple opportunities to pick him off. On the other hand Bradford has to show the poise he had last season and not force the issue. Throw the ball away or take the sack, minimize the turnovers. Bottom line is that I won't be shocked if our RAMS win but I still feel like the Giants home field advantage will be the difference.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When the Rams are preparing for their trip to Green Bay, I'll have a hard time envisioning a win. I might say the same for the game at Pittsburgh.

Beyond that, my answer will be the same every week.

Yes, the Rams most certainly CAN win.
    Ill be in egypt during the green bay game drinking lots of denial

macrammer is offline Registered User

They most certainy can win on monday:

Tackle
    minimize penalties
    win turnover battle
    Control line of scrimmage on both side sof ball

Simple. do all of the above and watch the good times roll.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Sure, ANY team can win on ANY Sunday (or Monday).

Will they? Unless they do a 180 from last Sunday, no. They need to pressure Manning, keep pressure off Bradford and somebody on the Rams needs to catch the freakin' ball!
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

swatter555 is offline Registered User

The Ram offense really choked last week with the break downs in pass protection and the numerous drops. I expect them, if they truly are a team on the rise, to fix those issues. If they don't and continue to make the same mistakes, we might need to re-evaluate their "on the rise" status. The Ram offense looked real, real bad last week. I liked the gameplay, but execution was so bad it was either and abboration or an indication of a bad team.

I can't truly pick a winner until we see what the Rams are really made of. At the same time, Manning is going to pick apart our secondary and they are at home, so a win is going to be difficult under any circumstances.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

My recent attendance record at Rams' games:

-Lost SuperBowl XXXVI despite being prohibitive favorites
    -Lost @ NY Giants
    -Beat SF @ home, but Bulger was hurt and I watched an ugly 16-6 win w/Chris Chandler
    -Lost @ Carolina. Didn't score a touchdown. Warner was terrible.
    -Lost @ Baltimore. Didn't score a touchdown. Bulger harrassed all day and sucked.
    -Got their rear ends and their manhoods handed to them @ NY Jets (48-3??). Great effort in the Jim Haslett era.

I'll be in attendance at The Meadowlands Monday. I don't like their chances.

My recent Rams' games attendance record:

-Lost SuperBowl XXXVI as prohibitive favorites
    -Lost @ NY Giants
    -Beat SF @ home but did so without Marc Bulger in an ugly 16-6 win
    -Lost @ Carolina. Didn't score a touchdown. Warner was terrible.
    -Lost @ Baltimore. Didn't score a touchdown. Bulger harrassed all day and sucked.
    -Lost @ NY Jets (47-3??). Got their heads and their manhood handed to them in a great performance symbolizing the Jim Haslett era.

I will be in attendance Monday. I don't like our chances. Forgive my skepticism.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im quietly confident for our Giants game. I dont like the fact its a Monday night game on the road.? I think it works both ways in what the Giants and Rams will try to do to each other. Both will be looking to stop the run and force each other's passing attack to pick up the slack. Ill take Bradford over Manning any day, but Eli has the better receivers playing against a beat up secondary. Thankfully their DB's are also beat up, so it kind of offsets. The Giants big game experience could be the difference. This is a huge game for Sam Bradford and his receivers, another poor outing here tells me we are in for a long season in all likely hood. The more I think about this game the more I favour the Giants in all honesty. The Rams are so inexperienced as a group? The X factor is Bradford, who is very capable of bridging the gap between the two teams, if given the time that is. I expect a tight, tight game.?

My recent track record of attending Rams' games:

-lost SuperBowl XXXVI despite being prohibitive favorites
    -lost @ NY Giants
    -beat SF at home 16-6 in an ugly affair. Chris Chandler in for the injured Marc Bulger all game
    -lost @ Carolina & didn't score a TD. Warner threw a pick for a TD and stunk.
    -lost @ Baltimore & didn't score a TD. Bulger harrassed all day and sucked.
    -lost @ NY Jets (47-3??) in which their manhoods were taken from them. An all-time horrific performance signifying the Jim Haslett era.

I will be in attendance Monday. Excuse me for being skeptical.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    My recent track record of attending Rams' games:

-lost SuperBowl XXXVI despite being prohibitive favorites
    -lost @ NY Giants
    -beat SF at home 16-6 in an ugly affair. Chris Chandler in for the injured Marc Bulger all game
    -lost @ Carolina & didn't score a TD. Warner threw a pick for a TD and stunk.
    -lost @ Baltimore & didn't score a TD. Bulger harrassed all day and sucked.
    -lost @ NY Jets (47-3??) in which their manhoods were taken from them. An all-time horrific performance signifying the Jim Haslett era.

I will be in attendance Monday. Excuse me for being skeptical.
    How much do you want to stay home ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast