r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Does Fullback's Release Mean More Bradford, Less SJ39?

Does fullback's release mean more Bradford, less SJ39?

ROGER HENSLEY
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011

QUESTION: Do you believe the Rams’ release of fullback Mike Karney Tuesday is a sign that new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels plans to pound the ball less with Steven Jackson and open up the aerial attack more with QB Sam Bradford?

JIM THOMAS

Karney already was being phased out late in the 2010 season when he didn’t dress for four games. But there’s no doubt losing Karney isn’t great news for Jackson. It’s another sign that the offense is being tilted more toward Bradford than Jackson.

BILL COATS

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. McDaniels doesn’t deploy a fullback, per se, in his scheme, but will line up a lead blocker, often a tight end, at times in the backfield. Michael Hoomanawanui was filling that role before his season-ending ankle injury.

JEFF GORDON

Karney was a failure. Even if the Rams planned to come back with the same West Coast offense, Mike had to go. He just didn’t get it done. He lost his job during the season. That said, the new offense figures to rely on multiple backs doing a variety of things. Based on McDaniels’ previous work, I’m not sure the Rams will employ a fullback who can do little more than block.

KATHLEEN NELSON

I think Karney’s release was more a reflection on Karney than McDaniels. Karney was being phased out near the end of last season. He returned to the lineup only because of Brit Miller’s knee injury. I think if McDaniels is anywhere near as good as his reputation, he’ll use Jackson in a less predictable way. If that means less “pounding,” so be it. Jackson can run and catch out of the backfield. The variety and unpredictability would make Jackson more of a weapon, more valuable to the offense, not less, even when he pounds the ball.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Does Fullback's Release Mean More Bradford, Less SJ39?

This excites me!! Lets see SJax in the flats more often catching passes out of the backfield a la Reggie Bush of old!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I still hope we pound SJ39. If we had a guard he would have done so much better last season. I do want to see Bradford attempt some more deep passes though.

BoJangles is offline Registered User

Josh has always been one to spread it out, not pound the rock, so expect a heavier dose of Sam this year. Can't wait to see what he does with him after what he's done with Cassel, Orton, and Tebow