throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: The Future Of Marc Bulger

01.13.2010 1:40 pm
    The future of Marc Bulger
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: There’s been much speculation on the future of Rams’ QB Marc Bulger: Will he retire? Be cut? Be traded? Or will he remain as the Rams QB for another season as a young QB is mentored. Do you believe Bulger will be under center for the Rams when they open next season?

JIM THOMAS
    I still think it’s better than 50-50 that Bulger will not be back. And if he’s traded to a non-contending team he may pull a Jake Plummer and just retire. But in order to dispose of Bulger, the Rams need two quarterbacks — a veteran and a draft pick. How they fare on those two fronts over the next three months might have a lot to do with whether Bulger returns to St. Louis in 2010.

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    I can’t say ‘Impossible’ but I doubt very much that we’ll see him QB the Rams in 2010. Bulger has taken a brutal beating on this job over the years and cannot stay healthy. The team is 5-31 with him as a starting quarterback over the last three seasons — though certainly there is plenty of blame to go around for that hideous record, and Bulger is only one piece of the team. But his play has declined, and his injury issues will only create more instability at a crucial position. Nothing personal, but at this point it is just best for Bulger and the Rams to move on.

BILL COATS
    My guess is that he’ll be with the Rams next season, in some capacity. And that could well be as the No. 1 quarterback. What’s the alternative? There doesn’t appear to be a “franchise quarterback” available in the draft or free agency, and a trade would cost the Rams dearly as they try to rebuild in several areas. Neither Kyle Boller, who almost surely won’t be back anyway, nor rookie Keith Null showed that they are a better option than Bulger at this point.

JEFF GORDON
    I believe Marc would be a better stopgap quarterback than almost any veteran the Rams could round up without sacrificing assets. But . . . given all that Marc and the team has been through the past three years, I can understand why the Rams would want to do something different just to do something different. One by one, veterans who have failed have moved on. Why could Marc be the one exception to that trend?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: The Future Of Marc Bulger

Bulger if protected can be a good QB. Rams shouldn't be in a haste to get rid of him. If we bring in Vick, the two can be utilized and worst case scenario for Bulger is backup. Just don't want to see us turn our backs on him after the punishment he's taken.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

I think Bulger with a healthy strong offensive line could still be a somebody in this league. On the right team he could put up some nice numbers. I dont see the rams trading a pick and a player to get a qb I really think with spag as the coach they will bulk up defense this off season. So we will prolly see Bulger line up behind center in a heavy run oriented high pct pass offense. They dont have the wr's to really stretch the field. I say ball control and smash mouth defense is in the Rams future. Maybe that is just what I want.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If he will take a pay cut, i see no reason to get rid of him. He can stay as a short term starter or as a backup definitely. But the problem a lot of people have with keeping Bulger is his large contract

MdRam29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Bulger if protected can be a good QB. Rams shouldn't be in a haste to get rid of him. If we bring in Vick, the two can be utilized and worst case scenario for Bulger is backup. Just don't want to see us turn our backs on him after the punishment he's taken.

Have to agree with this. We can keep Bulger and draft a young QB who can learn from Bulger.

rammer74 is offline Registered User

But with a very limited rec corps is the bulger the man for a young qb to learn from?

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Oline excuse once again... I agree at the end of the year the oline was weak (and Bulger did not to play) but during the year Bulger was relatively well protected and he did not do a good job. I think he simply lost his Mojo, he is affraid of taking hits. Aaron Rodgers took a lot of sacks and hits and can still have good stats (the supporting cast is not the same). I just don't think the problem with Bulger is the Oline, the problem is Bulger. We did a poor decision in making him the highest paid player in Rams history and that's it.
    Bulger had good years but it's over, he is not the first player in NFL to do that.
    Faulk was the best player in NFL but when his knees were done he was done, Bulger lost confidence, you have to be very confident to play QB and to lead a weak team, he can't do that anymore (he never do that he was just a QB with good supporting cast).

Nothing agasint the man but for me the player is done with Rams, he could be a good backup QB for a contender, I wish the best for him.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

Once upon a time people though Kurt Warner was done. Give Bulger weapons he can perform in my opinion but that will not happen for awhile. I really think this will be a pound it team with the emphasis on defense. I think spag will turn this team around with that philosophy. I say Bulger is the starter next year but will get injured.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Have people forgotten that in 2006, only 3 yrs ago Bulger was the 3rd best QB in the NFL. He had 4,301 yards with 24 TD's and 8 int. Noone in the top 15 had less interceptions and only brees and peyton had more passing yards. In 2007 he was constantly hurt as well as almost the entire team. I still think Bulger is better than 50% of the starting QB's in the NFL. Put both mannings, bees, brady, favre, Mcnabb, etc with our team this year and see what stats they produce. Put Bulger in dallas, philly, jets, etc and he does well. We need to keep him and draft a QB in 2 nd round to groom into our future QB.
    Last edited by rob6465; -01-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    Have people forgotten that in 2006, only 3 yrs ago Bulger was the 3rd best QB in the NFL. He had 4,301 yards with 24 TD's and 8 int. Noone in the top 15 had less interceptions and only brees and peyton had more passing yards. In 2007 he was constantly hurt as well as almost the entire team. I still think Bulger is better than 50% of the starting QB's in the NFL. Put both mannings, bees, brady, favre, Mcnabb, etc with our team this year and see what stats they produce. Put Bulger in dallas, philly, jets, etc and he does well. We need to keep him and draft a QB in 2 nd round to groom into our future QB.
    People seem to forget that, I'm a huge Bulger fan.. You can't put the blame on one person.. In my opinion Bulgers stats would look better if the receivers held on to the ball, and ran better routes, and don't forget those drive ending penalties that Incognito and Barron commits... You have to factor in all that...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Its funny how Vick lovers are so quick to bash Bulger, forgetting how good he was in 2006 and prior. But then they bring up Vick being good in 2006 and prior as a reason we should sign Vick

AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User

What If...Kurt Waarner Retires And Marc Bulger Somehow Ends Up On The Cardinals..Then We'll Be Like "Ah Why'd We Release/Trade That Guy?" Lol..

jdh008 is offline Registered User

I'm with Gordon on this one. While he may not be a Pro-Bowler any longer, Bulger is better as a stopgap QB than anyone the Rams could bring in, if for no other reason than he is here already. His days are numbered as a QB for the Rams, but I think those days will continue into next season.

sharkyram Guest

Hi all I'm a newbie on here and a long standing Rams fan from England so I don't hear the gossip like most of you guys, but I was wondering why nobody's talking about Tebow? What about Bradford and Clausen? Have these guys signed pre-contract deals elsewhere?

The NFL coverage in the UK is great but college news is non-existent here.

COYR!
    Mart

PS I like Bulger and perhaps the problem will be solved if he can get better protection next year?

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sharkyram View Post
    Hi all I'm a newbie on here and a long standing Rams fan from England so I don't hear the gossip like most of you guys, but I was wondering why nobody's talking about Tebow? What about Bradford and Clausen? Have these guys signed pre-contract deals elsewhere?

The NFL coverage in the UK is great but college news is non-existent here.

COYR!
    Mart

PS I like Bulger and perhaps the problem will be solved if he can get better protection next year?
    I think a lot of people, including NFL insiders, have their doubts about Tim Tebow as an NFL QB due to his style of play. I, for one, do not want the Rams to draft him because he will command a huge salariy. I'm also not sure how a Tim Tebow would fit into the NFL style of offense. IMO he's a great college QB, but since the NFL looks for QB's who can primarily pass, Tebow remains a gamble because not everyone believes that he can step up and change his game to be successful at the next level. I may be wrong. Bradford was injured for most of the year. The addition of Clausen is intriguing, but would also command a huge salary, and if the Rams dispatch Bulger because of his salary, then they will have no one on the roster to fill in until a young QB is ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast