r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Round Two: How Did This Defense Get Ram Tough?

How did this defense get Ram tough?

ROGER HENSLEY
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010

QUESTION: What do you think has been the key to Rams improved play on defense this season?

JIM THOMAS

There are a lot of reasons, but it starts up front. Defensive ends James Hall and Chris Long have emphatically answered the question of “where’s the pass rush?” with 11 sacks between them. Fred Robbins has been a key addition at defensive tackle, both in terms of run defense and pushing the pocket on pass plays.

JEFF GORDON

Adding Fred Robbins to the point of the attack was a huge, huge piece of this. He is a disruptive force in the middle of the front seven. Getting physical cornerback Bradley Fletcher back from his injury was also big. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensvie end Chris Long both took big steps this season. James Hall has played extremely well at the other defensive end spot. The team still needs to upgrade at OLB, but overall the unit is much more imposing than last year’s group.

BILL COATS

The front four. DEs James Hall and Chris Long have been getting into the backfield consistently, pressuring QBs. That has helped the defensive backs in coverage. Also, DT Fred Robbins has been getting push, too, and is a solid run stuffer. DT Gary Gibson also has been stout vs. the run. When the d-line is performing well, it sets the tone for the entire unit.

BRYAN BURWELL

There is no one key. It begins with the players being in the system for a year and understanding things better. But it is impossible to overemphasize the value of a large and productive tackle like Freddie Robbins to the defensive unit. The push he constantly provides in the middle opens things up for everyone.

ROGER HENSLEY

The front four is obviously key and James Laurinaitis is developing into a great defensive leader from the middle linebacker spot. And while they’ve dropped way too many balls, the secondary can be imposing and create havoc for opposing quarterbacks. But the key to it all, in my opinion, is coach Steve Spagnuolo sticking to his guns on the kind of character players he wants on this team, and Billy Devaney’s ability to go out and get them. There is a cohesiveness to Spags’ defensive unit, guys buy into the system and the team is reaping the dividends.

Molotov Guest

Re: Round Two: How Did This Defense Get Ram Tough?

The crazy thing is, none of the "experts" saw this coming. Virtually every "expert" I read, including Thomas and Gordon, thought the Rams defense would be miserable. Then there are non-experts like me that recognized, without much research, that if the cornerbacks stayed healthy, the DL showed marginal improvement, and the offense kept them off the field once in a while, this could be a very good defense. It's not that complicated. Our NFL "experts" are either very lazy, very stupid, or are afraid to make a call that puts them in the minority.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    The crazy thing is, none of the "experts" saw this coming. Virtually every "expert" I read, including Thomas and Gordon, thought the Rams defense would be miserable. Then there are non-experts like me that recognized, without much research, that if the cornerbacks stayed healthy, the DL showed marginal improvement, and the offense kept them off the field once in a while, this could be a very good defense. It's not that complicated. Our NFL "experts" are either very lazy, very stupid, or are afraid to make a call that puts them in the minority.

Well, I think it's easy to be pessimistic when evaluating the Rams of recent years. The writers saw us sign only Fred Robbins really, and not addressing the defense in the draft until round 3, and not the defensive line until the late rounds. Basing their predictions on our performance from last year is not unreasonable, and there really was no reason to believe we'd magically turn things around like we did. Of course improvement was expected, but I don't think many people thought it would come this quickly, myself included.

I'm glad it did though, and it's a nice surprise to watch every sunday! I love watching the opposing quarterback scramble around, fearful of that Rams pass rush.
    Last edited by shower beers; -11-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

As happy as I am to see the defense playing this well, I half wish that it was because of players who were a little younger than Fred Robbins and James Hall. Mucho props to both men, of course. Let's hope they both have unusually long and productive careers.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

2 additions in my mind are a big part of the success.

1. Fred Robbins- Knew the system coming in and has helped teach the rest of the defense players. Also his play in the middle has been awesome and everyone around him is feeding off of him.

2. Sam Bradford- Being able to keep the offense on the field instead of a ton of 3 and outs has allowed the defense a chance to rest and regroup.

GO RAMS!

Molotov Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Well, I think it's easy to be pessimistic when evaluating the Rams of recent years.
    If guys that cover St Louis sports for a living are letting pessimism based on last year bias their evaluation of the Rams, I'd put that in the LAZY REPORTING category.