Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bar-bq
  • 1 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Round Two: How And When Will Rams Address Glaring Hole At WR?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Round Two: How And When Will Rams Address Glaring Hole At WR?

How and when will Rams address glaring hole at WR?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012

QUESTION: The Rams seemingly have done pretty well early in free agency, upgrading the defensive line, adding an All-Pro center and securing a top-notch CB. But they still haven’t addressed what many fans see as the team’s most glaring weakness – wide receiver. Where is this team going to find a couple of quality wide receivers?

JIM THOMAS

There’s not much left at the position in free agency. The wide receiver shelves were cleaned out quickly, so barring a trade of some kind – which seems unlikely – the Rams are almost limited to getting help via the draft. And at No. 6 overall, there’s no guarantee that Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State will be available. So yes, the team is in a bit of a predicament at wide receiver.

BRYAN BURWELL

Clearly they believe the best chance of doing that is in the draft. Why overpay for talent in free agency if you have better grades on the wide receiver talent coming out of college? The Rams should be able to take care of that with either the first- or second-round picks.

JEFF GORDON

Well, there’s always the NFL Draft. The Rams have filled several holes in free agency and more work remains on that front. That marketplace seems pretty well picked over, but the draft will provide ample opportunity to upgrade skill and depth. The process of upgrading this roster for 2012 will continue right into the season. And by acquiring future No. 1 picks, the Rams reminded us this will be a multi-year overhaul.

MIKE CLAIBORNE (Host of “The Sports Hub” on KMOX)

Pretty well? I think I will reserve judgement on just what the Rams have done in free agency, as we have traveled this path before with guys that were supposed to be an improvement – as I should remind you of all of the free agent offensive linemen brought in by the previous regime. While the Rams have signed a Pro Bowl center, how are guys like that allowed to leave their previous team? Salary cap? Perhaps, but considering how important offensive linemen are (see Rams for lack of) how does Green Bay allow him to leave? I am hoping that instead of signing a guy who can no longer play, the Rams have signed a player of the ilk of Adam Timmerman, perhaps the best free-agent signing the St. Louis Rams have ever made.

The Rams cannot fix everything they need to in free agency and the draft. This will take time. Just because they have the money to spend does not mean they need to throw it away on players who are not that good. In free agency you have to remember the player is a free agent because his contract has expired and the team he played for is prepared to move on without him, not that he is a potential savior of the team, let alone future Pro Bowler. Good scouting and recognizing talent is now even more important for the Rams future.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: How And When Will Rams Address Glaring Hole At WR?

These comments remind us that this attempt at another turn around likely won't be a quick fix but a multi year project.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    These comments remind us that this attempt at another turn around likely won't be a quick fix but a multi year project.
    That's why I wasn't thrilled about getting another head coach/GM, but it was, in the long run, necessary. Ultimately, I'm happy that we have Fisher and Snead, I have a good feeling about them both. I know I said that three years ago too

Either way, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this season--but obviously still far off from where we all want to be: Superbowl winners.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Long live the doughnut brothers.
    live4ramin likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, for this 2012 Draft we may not get Blackmon as the top / No. 1 WR but as they say, there are a few very good 'No. 2s' available on the list. So assuming Justin Blackmon is gone at selection No. 6...

First / foremost -- help me choose! I have limited knowledge at best for this draft (and all NFL Drafts). From the little research I've done lately, I believe these are among the better 10 'PostBlackmon' receiver prospects for the Rams first selection.

Listed in no particular order except for images.

Marvin Jones, California, 6'3" / 199 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.47. Vertical: 33".
    Kendall Wright, Baylor, 5'10" / 196 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.45. Vertical: 38.5".
    Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, 6'3" / 220 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.42. Vertical: 36.5".
    Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, 6'4" / 215 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.3. Vertical: 39.5".
    Jarius Wright, Arkansas, 5'10" / 182 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.41. Vertical: 38".
    Dwight Jones, North Carolina, 6'4" / 230 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.46. Vertical: 36".
    Tommy Streeter, Miami, 6'5" / 219 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.34. Vertical: 33".
    Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina, 6'3" / 216 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.60?
    Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers, 6'2" / 211 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.66. Vertical: 36".
    Marvin McNutt, Iowa, 6'4" / 216 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.42. Vertical: 37".

- - - - - - - - -
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    How and when will Rams address glaring hole at WR?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012

MIKE CLAIBORNE (Host of “The Sports Hub” on KMOX)

Pretty well? I think I will reserve judgement on just what the Rams have done in free agency, as we have traveled this path before with guys that were supposed to be an improvement – as I should remind you of all of the free agent offensive linemen brought in by the previous regime.
    Well Mr Claiborne it's pretty obvious that the previous "regimes" didn't know what the hell they were doing. A previous OC and DC that weren't ready to be head coaches. So at our RAMS expense and time they gained some head coaching experience. Where are they now? Not head coaching that's for sure!

I feel better now....

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I do not believe the Rams will need 3-4 years to become playoff ready. This team, despite its needs at multiple positions is in better shape than when Spagnuolo took over. It is getting younger, you have a proven head coach in place and most believe the Rams did good work in free agency and in shedding salary. They also fleeced Washington for a slew of draft picks in the RG III sweepstakes.

Of course all of this is contingent upon management drafting well and the Rams buying into and implementing the system installed by the new coaching staff. Nothing is a given. But one thing we should all have learned by now is that teams can turn it around in a hurry through shrewd decision making and a little bit of good fortune. The Rams are due for a heavy dose of both.

And regarding the title of the thread, it's now pretty obvious that the rams will be addressing the wide receiver position in the draft.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-21-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

And don't forget Ryan Broyles, the #1 reception leader in NCAA history. His body of work at OU will prevent him from dropping in the draft despite the ACL injury. Just as his teammate Jermaine Gresham went in the first round the same year Sam Bradford did, despite missing his entire senior season. Come to think of it, Sam's missing senior year due to injury didn't hurt him much in the draft either, did it?

Broyles plays like a #1 despite the 5'11" height. He will still be a 2nd round get....

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Didnt the Rams just draft TWO WRs...last year? Who are they again? With Lloyd gone, the cupboard is once again, laughably bare. Rookie WRs generally take a few years to round into solid pros. Bradford needs/deserves a legit #1 WR...NOW. Another year without one will mean another top draft pick and will seriously limit Bradford's growth.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Well, for this 2012 Draft we may not get Blackmon as the top / No. 1 WR but as they say, there are a few very good 'No. 2s' available on the list. So assuming Justin Blackmon is gone at selection No. 6...

First / foremost -- help me choose! I have limited knowledge at best for this draft (and all NFL Drafts). From the little research I've done lately, I believe these are among the better 10 'PostBlackmon' receiver prospects for the Rams first selection.

Listed in no particular order except for images.

Marvin Jones, California, 6'3" / 199 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.47. Vertical: 33".
    Kendall Wright, Baylor, 5'10" / 196 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.45. Vertical: 38.5".
    Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, 6'3" / 220 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.42. Vertical: 36.5".
    Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, 6'4" / 215 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.3. Vertical: 39.5".
    Jarius Wright, Arkansas, 5'10" / 182 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.41. Vertical: 38".
    Dwight Jones, North Carolina, 6'4" / 230 lb. 40 yd dash: 4.46. Vertical: 36".
    Tommy Streeter, Miami, 6'5" / 219 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.34. Vertical: 33".
    Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina, 6'3" / 216 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.60?
    Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers, 6'2" / 211 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.66. Vertical: 36". <----4.4 at pro day
    <
    Marvin McNutt, Iowa, 6'4" / 216 lbs. 40 yd dash: 4.42. Vertical: 37".

- - - - - - - - -
    Streeter? those numbers look more impressive than Hill but no one is talking about him

Id love to see us get Sanu BTW=)

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I'm honestly so tired of having these ''young wrs''. We need a proven veteran, like Llyod who can get the job done. I'm sick of the Brandon Gibsons and the Austin Pettis'.

DA84 is offline Registered User

I can't embed the video, but Les Snead did an interview for KSDK where he specifically said he's expecting a quick turn around for the team. He stated that there's no such thing as a "5 year rebuild" in the NFL anymore. To quote him "When you come into this situation and we've been losing for 4 years, there's a reason we've been losing, but that doesn't give us an excuse to lose for 2-3 more." Very encouraging.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DA84 View Post
    I can't embed the video, but Les Snead did an interview for KSDK where he specifically said he's expecting a quick turn around for the team. He stated that there's no such thing as a "5 year rebuild" in the NFL anymore. To quote him "When you come into this situation and we've been losing for 4 years, there's a reason we've been losing, but that doesn't give us an excuse to lose for 2-3 more." Very encouraging.
    You have to understand that a "turnaround" can simply mean "win more games this year than last". That would be a "turnaround". How hard will it be to turn around a 2-14 season? I believe without a shadow of a doubt that the Rams will have a "turnaround" season.

I don't believe they'll compete for a playoff spot for another 2-3 years.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968