Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By macrammer
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Round Two: If Spags Is Fired, Who Takes Over?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: If Spags Is Fired, Who Takes Over?

If Spags is fired, who takes over?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Thursday, December 29, 2011

QUESTION: If Steve Spagnuolo is fired at the end of the season, who would you put at the top of your candidate list as a replacement, whether it be a recycled NFL coach, a current NFL coordinator or someone from the college ranks.

BRYAN BURWELL

If Spagnuolo is going to be replaced – and once again let me go on the record saying he should not be replaced – I would prefer seeing someone with a proven head-coaching resume get the job.

With a deep-pockets owner, a young franchise QB already in place, tons of salary cap space and the potential to dangle the No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about this job being unappealing.

So if this is the route Kroenke chooses, he should go after all the best available prospects who seem to be interested in returning to coaching, and that list has to begin with Jeff Fisher.

JEFF GORDON

I’d have Jeff Fisher on top of my list. He has built teams with strong running games and sturdy defenses in the past. There is still potential to do that here despite the 2-13 showing so far this season. Fisher has some history with the organization. He is a proven coaching commodity with an impressive track record. He would bring instant credibility to a franchise needing it.

JIM THOMAS

Hard to say. You'd think the Rams might go more for someone with head-coaching experience after hiring two coordinators (Steve Spagnuolo and Scott Linehan) who were rookie head coaches. Of the names that have been thrown out there — and to a large degree, it's just a coaching version of fanstasy football — I would sayJeff Fisher makes the most sense. But at the end of the day, I think Rams fans want someone who can win games, doesn't matter where he comes from. It has been a long dry spell.

STU DURANDO

Jon Gruden and Jeff Fisher are the names getting the most hype these days and either would be a solid choice. Of the two, I like Gruden’s personality and potential to generate an immediate spark within the organization and fan base. But if it came down to St. Louis and San Diego, would he opt for the Chargers and the San Diego climate? Neither was a consistent winner but they have nearly identical winning percentages in the NFL – Fisher .542 and Gruden .540. I was surprised to find that Fisher has only six winning seasons out of 17 years. Gruden has six in 11 years. If neither works out, bring back Dick Vermeil for a few years to jump start things.

JOE LYONS

My top choice would be Jeff Fisher. He had a long and successful run before being fired by the Titans and always seemed to get a lot out of his teams in Tennessee, especially on defense. He is someone who is respected around the league and who could hopefully give the Rams an opportunity for a quick turn-around.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Round Two: If Spags Is Fired, Who Takes Over?

1. Jeff Fisher
    2. Jon Gruden
    3. Spags (that's right Spags)
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Well, we have had Moe and Curly. Hopefully not Larry
    ZiaRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Well, we have had Moe and Curly. Hopefully not Larry
    Didn't we have Larry before Moe and Curly?
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't know his name right now, but he must have experience as a head coach, must have had success as a head coach, must have an aggressive nature, must pay attention to all facets of the game, must have a brilliant football mind, must be an excellent leader of men, must have a no-nonsense personality, must be innovative, must be well respected and well received, must think outside the box and not be afraid to take risks both in the draft/fa room as well as on the field, and must be willing and able to adjust if something's not working, and must be willing to play the players that are performing best regardless of status on the team. Must be willing to allow young players with potential develop (Jabara Williams, Thaddeus Lewis, Jermale Hines, just to name a few).

Anybody know his name?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Then I say it's past time we give Shemp his chance.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    yup

Martz - Linehan - Spagnuolo

Vermeil (1997-2000) was the last hiring with prior experience.