Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Saints Marching In...Any Chance For Rams?

11.09.2009 1:53 pm
    Saints marching in … any chance for Rams?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: If the Rams are to have any chance against the 8-0 New Orleans Saints this weekend, what are the keys to the game plan?

JIM THOMAS
    1. Ball control on offense, the Saints are a modest 19th in run defense.
    2. Takeaways on defense, easier said than done against Drew Brees.
    3. Something special on special teams, be it long returns, blocked kicks, etc.

This is a challenge similar to what the Rams faced against Minnesota and Indianapolis — but New Orleans may be the most high-powered offense of the three.

JEFF GORDON
    If the Rams can consistently throw the ball downfield to balance their offense, maintain time of possession and finish off scoring drives, they can stay in the game. But apparently this is an impossible task for this offense, so the Rams are doomed to a blowout loss. Even if the Saints turn the ball over again and again, they will win this game unless the Rams used their bye week to reinvent their offense.

BRYAN BURWELL
    After seeing Carolina run up and down the field against the Saints, the run-oriented Rams certainly have a chance. If the Rams can stick to a Steven Jackson rushing attack and keep Drew Brees off the field, the home crowd could become a huge factor.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
    Call Tonya Harding and ask for some advice on how to “handle” competition? Lock the doors of the Dome just before the Saints arrive and lose the keys?

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Seriously, there is no way this game is competitive. None. The Saints are the highest-scoring team in the league averaging 38 points per game and the Rams are the lowest-scoring team in the league at just over 9 points per game. Heck, the Saints are 59 points better than the next highest-scoring team this season (Minnesota). The Rams have scored a total of 77 points as a point of reference.

But wait, there’s more. The Saints are +129 when points scored are compared to points allowed and the Rams are -144. That’s a 273 point difference between these two teams over eight games. That’s a 34-point-per-game difference in case you were wondering.

There is nothing the Rams can do to be competitive in this game. Nothing legal anyway.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Saints Marching In...Any Chance For Rams?

get real people

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Looking at the numbers, there is a big difference between these two teams. Might as well, not play and award the Saints the win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the Rams can run the ball...which all indications point to where they can.....then it's up to one of these dad gum so called WR's to step the heck up and make a NFL play. If that happens, the Rams can compete. Forget about getting a pass rush on Brees. Not gonna happen. Hasn't happened all year and it won't happen against the Saints.

Kind of like the off the cuff comment by John McKay....HC of Tampa. "Sure, we can make the playoffs if every team in front of us has a plane crash".

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

ohh kay... c'mon is this the comical matchup of the week? lets beat up the lowly Rams to make a point. i hope spags uses articles such as this for motivation. last time i checked these are all professionals, any given sunday. lets stand behind our team and root em on for the best. lets just give them a heavy dose of SJAX!!!

the only reason i would like to see the saints remain undefeated is to wipe that stupid smile off tom brady's face, but now this is personal.

GO RAMS!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

shower beers is offline Registered User

Bryan Burwell's a jerk.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Is there a chance to win? Of course there is always a chance to win every game. But i would say the chance to win this game would be about 150 to 1. We could win but it isnt likely, but hey everyone thought the raiders were gonna get curb stomped by philly too so anything can happen.

Edit: Remember when the undefeated vikings came to town? We drove the ball down to the redzone three times and had three turnovers. We don't have those turnover and that game ends with a score of 38-31, we don't have a good chance but we do have a chance guys.
    Last edited by 01d 0rd3r; -11-10-2009 at 02:50 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Somebody find out where Drew Brees is staying the night before and poison his food. Then we have a pretty good shot at winning. Could be just ilke the Dallas game from last year.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Drew Brees is only 6ft. Just tell all of our linemen to jump around like crazy, waving their arms everywhere. That's the only chance we will have of disrupting Brees this Sunday.

maineram Guest

"Bryan Burwell's a jerk".

Late breaking Fox News story there !!!

All I want to see is those standing up to the challenge and trying to make something happen. OJ, JL, Long, Butler, Vabora, Bell, Barron, Smith,Fells, Avery, Gibson, Bulger.

Make a game of it and show your Ram pride at home !!!!

Maineram -

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Bryan Burwell's a jerk.
    I'm not a big Burwell fan but he seemed pretty even handed in his response and even said some positive things about the Rams chances.

It seemed to me that Kevin Wheeler was the one that really piled on the Rams and gave then zero chance of doing anything.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I hpe that it is at least competitive. But, d has to step up due to no real offensive fireworks. Getting behind big early and it could get ugly. A morale victory would be within 10 points.

pherein Guest

.................nope, not trying to be mean here, just saying. The Saint respect the Rams, they are not going to play any game lightly. Saints will try to play there best game to work out some of the problems we have had in turnovers.
    Last edited by pherein; -11-12-2009 at 12:02 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not a big Burwell fan but he seemed pretty even handed in his response and even said some positive things about the Rams chances.

It seemed to me that Kevin Wheeler was the one that really piled on the Rams and gave then zero chance of doing anything.

Whoops. I went back and re-read the responses, and I think I mixed the two names up.

Kevin Wheeler's a jerk.

theodus69 Guest

The Saints are JERKS. They are gonna kill us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast