r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Should The Rams Give Boller Or Null A Chance?

11.03.2009 1:20 pm
    Should Rams give Boller or Null a chance?
    By Roger Hensley

QUESTION: Despite another rough outing Sunday, obviously the coaches still believe QB Marc Bulger gives the team its best chance to win or he wouldnít be playing. Do you agree with that assessment or do you think itís time to give Kyle Boller - or even Keith Null - a chance to run the offense?

JIM THOMAS

Even with the patchwork receiver corps, the results against Detroit - one of the worst pass defenses in the league - were underwhelming. But the problem with Boller is that he seems to be more mistake prone than Bulger, which leads to more turnovers. Null simply isnít ready to start in the NFL, although it wouldnít hurt to see him in mop-up situations.

BERNIE MIKLASZ

Itís time to get ready to draft a quarterback.

Unless the people running the Rams have lost their minds, Bulgerís time here is winding down. Boller is Boller: a more mobile Bulger, but not an accurate passer and prone to silly mistakes. I donít understand the people who want to throw Null to the wolf pack and see the kid fail. Null came to the NFL from a small-college program that ran a spread offense, and he has received virtually no reps in practice. At this stage of his career, starting Null in a regular-season NFL game is crazily irresponsible. I wouldnít mind it if the Rams worked Null into a fourth-quarter series here in there to get him acclimated, but nothing more than that.

As I wrote in todayís column, unless the Rams want to get RB Steven Jackson killed, theyíd better get serious about drafting and developing a quarterback.

JEFF GORDON

Since the Rams just won a game, there is no reason to change quarterbacks. Had Bulgerís targeted receivers caught more of those balls within reach - like the would-be TD pass to Randy McMichael - his numbers would have looked better. The Rams need to throw more of those passes down the field. This is a check-down scheme, as it stands today, and Bulger is OK doing that. But how many more games can this team win checking down? When Bulger gets hurt again, Boller will get another chance. His mobility is a huge plus, but inaccuracy is a huge problem. As for Null, I would use him at the end of blowout losses to give him a taste of it.

BILL COATS

Boller isnít a good fit for the offense, and Null simply isnít ready to start - although Iíd like to see him get some action in mop-up time. Itís become obvious that Bulger isnít capable of reprising the kind of play he showed during his Pro Bowl seasons. Still, heís the best option the Rams have right now.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of ďSports Open LineĒ on KMOX)

It really doesnít matter who takes snaps from center right now. Bulger isnít getting it done, nothing in Bollerís track record suggests he would get it done and Null is too big a project to throw into the fire at this point. Boller would simply be a slightly different version of Bulger, a veteran whose future lies as a backup in the NFL. Null canít possibly be ready for the NFL considering how little work he gets. Letís also remember it took a while for him to win the 3rd QB job from Brock Berlin. Thatís not exactly the sign of a player ready to jump into the fray. The entire 2009 Rams season is about one word - patience. Some things just arenít going to get fixed this season and the QB position is one of them.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Should The Rams Give Boller Or Null A Chance?

BILL COATS

Boller isnít a good fit for the offense, and Null simply isnít ready to start - although Iíd like to see him get some action in mop-up time. Itís become obvious that Bulger isnít capable of reprising the kind of play he showed during his Pro Bowl seasons. Still, heís the best option the Rams have right now.

I would agree with that assessment.
    :ramlogo:

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Start = no
    play = yes

Null needs to get time on the field to see what he has to offer. I don't care if he isn't ready, GET him ready enough to run 10-20 passing plays.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Just a question but with all this talk of Bulger being "on his way out" here, what exactly should we be getting in return for him? High draft pick? players....? I heard mention that we could be looking at Jason Campbell which made me yack. I would rather watch Brown take our snaps then him.

Any ideas?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Just a question but with all this talk of Bulger being "on his way out" here, what exactly should we be getting in return for him?
    Accelerated dead money against the 2010 cap, if there is one. I'd be surprised if Bulger is traded; if he does leave after this season, it will be through release.

Anywho, I basically agree with Gordon's answer.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Accelerated dead money against the 2010 cap, if there is one. I'd be surprised if Bulger is traded; if he does leave after this season, it will be through release.

Anywho, I basically agree with Gordon's answer.
    He will be traded to NE as back up. And we should not be selfish with jackson. We should trade him to a team with a chance. He will be the
    next Barry Sanders if we dont. Lets build the future by trade and draft,
    not by keep and hord.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    He will be traded to NE as back up. And we should not be selfish with jackson. We should trade him to a team with a chance. He will be the
    next Barry Sanders if we dont. Lets build the future by trade and draft,
    not by keep and hord.
    Please.

If we had those intentions we would've traded Jackson to NE by the deadline and probably would've gotten Barron out of there somehow too.

Clearly we do not. We are building our new team around Steven Jackson. He's the only sure thing the organization has. I agree he's worthy of being entitled the "next Barry Sanders" and therefore has too much value. He also helps the Rams become the team Spagnuolo and Devaney wanted: A hard running football team on offense and having a smash mouth defense.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where your coming from but I think considering the rarity of Jackson's talent, it would be a shame to get rid of him and it'd also create yet another hole for this team. We do not have a legitimate #2RB at all. Getting picks to get a new RB in my opinion isn't worth it.
    Last edited by Varg6; -11-03-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Please.

If we had those intentions we would've traded Jackson to NE by the deadline and probably would've gotten Barron out of there somehow too.

Clearly we do not. We are building our new team around Steven Jackson. He's the only sure thing the organization has. I agree he's worthy of being entitled the "next Barry Sanders" and therefore has too much value. He also helps the Rams become the team Spagnuolo and Devaney wanted: A hard running football team on offense and having a smash mouth defense.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where your coming from but I think considering the rarity of Jackson's talent, it would be a shame to get rid of him and it'd also create yet another hole for this team. We do not have a legitimate #2RB at all. Getting picks to get a new RB in my opinion isn't worth it.
    I will agree with you if you tell me how many games we will win 3 years
    from now.? I say 8n8, and Jackson will be 29 years old.