Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Mar Ram
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Round Two: Should Rams Shut Down Bradford For Season?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Should Rams Shut Down Bradford For Season?

Should Rams shut down Bradford for season?

BY ROGER HENSLEY
    Thursday, December 15, 2011

QUESTION: Considering his lingering high-ankle sprain, and the fact the Rams are 2-11, do you think it would be best for the team to shut down Sam Bradford for the rest of the season?

JIM THOMAS

There are a lot of players on this Rams roster playing hurt. I think it would send a bad message to the rest of the team to treat a banged-up Sam Bradford any differently than the other players. But seeing Bradford in a walking boot after Wednesday’s practice and seeing the frustration in his face, you have to wonder if he’s going to be healthy enough to play in any of the final three games. It looks like there’s no way he’s playing this week. So I’d say see how the ankle feels next week, and if it’s still iffy – or worse –shut him down.

BRYAN BURWELL

If Bradford can play and it doesn’t create a situation where more damage can be done, then you play him. You don’t quit on the season. But if there is a chance that playing could potentially make his injury worse, then there is no way he belongs on the field.

KATHLEEN NELSON

The fact that he was wearing that boot Wednesday means that he’s unlikely to play Sunday. If he’s no better by the middle of next week, I’d shut him down.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Should Rams Shut Down Bradford For Season?

i dont see any upside in trying to play him again this season, how much is he really gonna progress in 2 games with a banged up ankle, just makes him more of a target to get more serious injuries.

Shutting him down gives the other QB's reps and time to get a groove going with the offense without having to wonder even if they get practice reps, they may get pulled on Sunday.

at this stage, shelving him is the best thing long term, we dont lose much short term and gives us some time to evaluate Brandstater in actual NFL games.

Time to heal up, study and get ready for the off-season IMO.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

To be fair to Bradford I don't think he has been ready to play, since the initial high ankle sprain. But he has gutted it out in terrible circumstances. So I expect he return, sooner than later.?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Bradford wants to play, no doubt about it, but at this point in the season, theres no reason to have him out there potantially getting hurt. as much as i love Bradford and want to see him throwing the ball out there, i rather him be healthy and not get injured any worse and be there this whole offseason to lead us to the playoffs next season.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A high ankle sprain is not an injury that will get significantly worse and jeopardize next season. If he is deemed healthy enough to play and he feels capable of playing AT A HIGH LEVEL, he should play. If he's gonna' go out there and underthrow receivers, hobble away from pass rushers and generally not be sharp, he should sit.

This decision requires an honest self-assessment by Bradford AND a competant visual assessment by the coaching staff.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    A high ankle sprain is not an injury that will get significantly worse and jeopardize next season. If he is deemed healthy enough to play and he feels capable of playing AT A HIGH LEVEL, he should play. If he's gonna' go out there and underthrow receivers, hobble away from pass rushers and generally not be sharp, he should sit.

This decision requires an honest self-assessment by Bradford AND a competant visual assessment by the coaching staff.
    Agreed. I'm all for him playing if he's healthy in the sense that he can be effective and help the team. If he's out there and unable to follow through on his throws, he's not doing the team any good.

I'm guessing he realized against Seattle that he wasn't able to do what he wanted to, and unless something miraculous happens, he's probably done for the season.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I'm not really concerned about sending a bad message to the backups and walking wounded we have out there. They don't represent $78 million contracts and won't be on the roster next season anyway, so forget their sensitivities.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I'm not really concerned about sending a bad message to the backups and walking wounded we have out there. They don't represent $78 million contracts and won't be on the roster next season anyway, so forget their sensitivities.
    Ahhh...welcome back Peoria! Where have you been? I've kinda missed your...ahem..rather unique perspective on all things Ram.

Were you on manuevers for your Black Ops group or just chillin in the Peoples Republic of Illinois?

At any rate glad to see your back and posting again....

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

tell the kid to grab hold of some pine
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The Rams next GM, and HC would appreciate it if Spags lets their QB heal up for next season...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There are so many unknowns for us the fans. Are Spags and/or McDaniels coming back? If McDaniels leaves for whatever reason are we going to be running the same offense next season? If we are going to be running the same offense than I say Bradford needs to play as much as he can.