Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Round Two: Tackling Rams' Needs

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Tackling Rams' Needs

Round Two: Tackling Rams' needs

5 hours ago • By DON REED dreed@post-dispatch.com

TODAY'S QUESTION:

Is it just me or does it seem petty for Rodger Saffold (or his agent) to be complaining about the Rams upgrading with Jake Long at left tackle and moving Saffold to right tackle? How is the team supposed to get better if every time they get a chance to sign a top player, someone else wants to be traded or is unhappy about it?

BERNIE MIKLASZ:

Let's go to the numbers ...

The Rams have run 2,015 regular-season plays from scrimmage over the past two seasons.

Because of injuries R. Saffold has missed just under 40 percent of the total snaps over 2011-2012 combined.

I'm not sure why the big fellow — or his agent — feel entitled to automatic ownership of the left OT position.

It's not as if Saffold's presence at left OT was automatic in 2011, 2012.

JEFF GORDON:

Rodger Saffold did an OK job at left tackle. That is it. If he really wants to create a showdown, perhaps his biggest contribution in 2013 will be showing the others what happens when you cross Jeff Fisher.

STEVE OVERBEY (Freelance sports writer):

I think this is more about the position switch to RT than anything. Saffold has put in three solid seasons on the left side and is likely uncomfortable about changing spots. Can't blame him there. But this is a business and he must bear down and make the transition without complaining. This the final year of his contract, the most important season of his career financially, and he's got to roll with the punches. With several talented right tackles available in the upcoming draft, Saffold could be expendable although the team would rather keep him. His attitude and work ethic starting Monday with voluntary workouts should help clarify the situation.

DAVE LUECKING (moundcitysports.com):

Either Rodger Saffold is getting bad advice from his agent and should hire a new one, or he needs a serious reality check. Earning big money playing football, he's much better off than the average schmoe making next to nothing or looking for a job and worrying about, say, eating and feeding his/her children. People are sick of pro athletes complaining, when folks in more noble professions and the unemployed struggle to get by. If someone was paying me a kabillion dollars and told me to jump, I'd ask how high and then do it. Whatever it takes, wherever it takes me, as Jerry Seinfeld once said.

ANDY STRICKLAND (KFNS radio host):

The Rams, in reality, haven't won a thing in years yet they have individuals who want to put themselves ahead of what's best for the organization. They need players whose only concern is about winning. Rodger Saffold has some potential but the idea he's done enough to dictate where he should play shows a lack of maturity on his part. This is where agents do their clients a disservice by telling them what they want to hear vs. what they need to hear. The Rams won't be adjusting their plans to appease Rodger Saffold and the fact he'd even consider creating drama is comical. Remember the player who used to say I'll do whatever it takes to help the team win?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Round Two: Tackling Rams' Needs

Hey Rodger, there's no crying in football!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Hey Rodger, there's no crying in football!

Not what t.o. says

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Actually, pretty much agree 100% with all of the above.
    ('Specially Bernie - we all know how hard he works).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Remind me again...

When did Saffold complain?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Remind me again...

He has not been quoted as of yet. But he has yet to set the record straight either. Maybe Monday he will speak for himself.

KoaKoi is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He has not been quoted as of yet.
    Exactly. And after an initial mouthing off, his agent has been silent too.

In Defense of Saffold: I for one am very tired of this non existent saga. Saffold need do NOTHING. He has no responsibility to respond to the incessant chirping of the parrots and the mindless talking heads. I wouldn't. That Andy Strickland idiot takes the cake in my book: how has Saffold acted immaturely? In what way is he comically creating drama? There's only one group of idiots shoveling horse manure right now, acting immature and creating drama to the point of the comical... it's these guys.

As far as I'm concerned, it's his weekend off still. He's indicated he's gonna go to work when voluntary sessions start and that's enough for me... in fact, that's just fine and dandy.
    lostsoul likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Saffold's agent said "I think people are trying to get ahead of the curve here". Too bad he didn't have that mind set and keep his mouth shut instead of telling a sports reporter that Rodger would not want to move to the right side. If he had said, "See what happens, and we go from there" right from the beginning, this wouldn't be an issue. Now, his client is going to be relentlessly hounded by a rabid press.

He has not been quoted as of yet. But he has yet to set the record straight either.
    Why do you eat live hedgehogs?

Well... you haven't been quoted as saying that you do, but you also have not set the record straight.
    lostsoul likes this.

Why do you eat live hedgehogs?

Well... you haven't been quoted as saying that you do, but you also have not set the record straight.
    Now that I see it's been said I'm here to tell you I don't. How hard is that.. if I wanted people to think maybe I do then I say nothing.

Now that I see it's been said I'm here to tell you I don't. How hard is that.. if I wanted people to think maybe I do then I say nothing.
    Well, your agent said you ate Sonic yesterday.

(Hmmm... maybe he was talking about the burger joint rather than the Sega character...)
    lostsoul likes this.

Well, your agent said you ate Sonic yesterday.

(Hmmm... maybe he was talking about the burger joint rather than the Sega character...)
    All I'm saying is he has done nothing to set the record straight. Maybe he feels there is nothing to say one way or the other. If he wants to speak Monday he will, if not no worries as long as he shows up ready to work.

If I had an agent I would also have a PR firm to handle all the rumors, including the latest scoop on my super model girlfriend.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Remind me again...

His agent was pretty vocal. Fisher then said Saffold wasn't answering or returning calls.

We don't and won't ever know everything that goes on behind the scenes, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say, on balance, that Saffold might not be happy. Especially as neither agent nor player has made any effort to redress the situation.

If Saffold's agent had come out and said Saffold had requested a trade and hated life at the Rams, I reckon we'd have heard from Saffold. Likewise if he'd said something controversial on a range of subjects - I bet the correction would have been issued. Silence speaks louder than words, sometimes.
    Rambos and Rammed like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post

His agent was pretty vocal. Fisher then said Saffold wasn't answering or returning calls.

We don't and won't ever know everything that goes on behind the scenes, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say, on balance, that Saffold might not be happy. Especially as neither agent nor player has made any effort to redress the situation.

If Saffold's agent had come out and said Saffold had requested a trade and hated life at the Rams, I reckon we'd have heard from Saffold. Likewise if he'd said something controversial on a range of subjects - I bet the correction would have been issued. Silence speaks louder than words, sometimes.
    Amen.
    Sometimes...just sometimes, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well .. just maybe....
    Unless it means something's not right in Ramsville, in which case, it's obviously not a duck.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The guy has played left tackle for his full NFL career, what player would be 'psyched' about the move? I don't think many (especially in a contract year). However, he will prove he is a good teammate by showing up Monday eager to play RT (whether he wants to or not).

I think we need to lay off Saffold a little.. no wait a lot.
    MauiRam and lostsoul like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast