r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: What NFL QB Does Sam Bradford Resemble?

What NFL QB does Sam Bradford resemble?

By ROGER HENSLEY
    Friday, December 31, 2010 6:50 am

THE WATER COOLER:

From what you've seen of rookie QB Sam Bradford this season, which current or former NFL quarterback would you say his skill set most closely resembles?

JIM THOMAS:

He played at Oklahoma, he wears jersey No. 8, and he has a similar frame and similar accuracy. The comparisons to Troy Aikman (who finished his career at UCLA) are too numerous to overlook. So I guess we can expect three Super Bowl titles, too, eh?

BERNIE MIKLASZ:

Matt Ryan, the Atlanta quarterback. Both guys are tall and strong and accurate. They have similar body types. They have a similar demeanor. They aren't extroverted or flashy on the field. They aren't theatrical. Though personable as men and charismatic as athletes, they seem to have an aversion to self-promotion. They're all about putting the team first and that's a major reason why both became respected team leaders as soon as they took over as rookie starters. You can tell right away that they're calm, confident and in command. Nothing ever seems to bother them. They epitomize what quiet strength is all about.

BRYAN BURWELL:

He reminds me a little of Joe Montana for his nimbleness out of the pocket, and Troy Aikman as a big man in the pocket with great accuracy.

BILL COATS:

Bradford reminds me somewhat of Joe Montana, with his ability to throw accurately on the run. I also think his calm demeaner is reflective of Montana. Now, if Bradford could just win a bunch of Super Bowls, like Montana did...

JEFF GORDON:

He has always modeled himself after Troy Aikman and that is a pretty good comparison. Sam might be even better on the move than Troy was. Of course, he still must prove himself in the big games to measure up -- and he has a big opportunity to further define himself Sunday.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of "Sports Open Line" on KMOX):

He reminds me of Peyton Manning. I thought so when he was playing at Oklahoma, I said so on-air in the lead-up to the draft and I've seen nothing since that would change my mind. They're about the same size (Manning is 6'5" 230 and Bradford is 6'4" 228), they're both accurate passers with strong arms and most importantly they're intelligent leaders who make things look easier than they really are.

That's not to say that I think he'll wind up doing what Manning has done over the years. He could but that's an awful lot to expect. Bradford has a long way to go to get to Manning's level but the rookie season Bradford is putting together is one of the best of all-time certainly makes it feel like anything is possible. Anything, that is, if he is surrounded by the kind of playmakers the Colts have had during Manning's career.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: What NFL QB Does Sam Bradford Resemble?

Why does Sam Bradford have to compare to someone? Can't he be his own man?!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Maybe in 2018, elite rookie QBs will be compared to Sam Bradford.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Maybe in 2018, elite rookie QBs will be compared to Sam Bradford.
    I don't think there will be another rookie QB with the caliber of Sam Bradford.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Tim Tebow's little brother, Tim Tebow Jr.

I can see the headlines now.

Tim Tebow Jr. rises through the ranks as he leads Florida Culinary Academy to first ever Bowl game by throwing the ball, running the ball, catching the ball, kicking the ball, and bleeding all over the ball! This kid will definitely be a star in the NFL, easily surpassing even Sam Bradford's prolific rookie season, and may I daresay, even having the legendary rookie season of his older brother?!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

HAHA why would Tim Tebow's little brother have the same name? Must be a weird family.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    HAHA why would Tim Tebow's little brother have the same name? Must be a weird family.
    Probably Tim Tebow's android. It sounds better than Tim Tebow 2.0.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

There is only one man you can compare The Great 8 too and thats Chuck Norris.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally, I think the Matt Ryan comparison is the most accurate out of the ones mentioned by the PD writers. I don't think Bradford is experienced enough or has accomplished enough to warrant comparisons to Montana, Aikman, or Manning. But I think right now, his game resembles Ryan, especially when it comes to his poise and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    LOL, ever? I'm thinking there probably will be. There is rarely a shortage of "franchise quarterbacks" on the horizon, and . Heck, some could probably argue that Andrew Luck is a better prospect coming out this year than Bradford was last year.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

After almost a full season of watching Bradford, I have seen plays he made that remind me of several QBs. For instance, last Sunday, that bomb to DX reminded me of Warner. That play where he was sacked and fumbled the ball reminds me of Bulger.

As it is, Sam isn't like any other QB in the league. I don't think it's fair to compare him to other QBs, past or present. It's like comparing the Beatles to Motley Crue - there's good things you can say about almost any QB out there except Tony Banks or JaMarcus Russell.

Instead of comparing, why not explain WHY he unique? How could one man, still wet behind the ears, take a team that looked like a repeat of the worst of the 90's Rams and turn them into contenders?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Comparisons are going to be made, that's just the way things are and have always been. The names being thrown around really say a lot, but I see Bradford as so multi-dimensional and multi-talented, it's difficult to accurately compare him to anyone. It looks like he's capable of mastering it all and I think he's already forging an identity for himself. It's hard to believe he isn't on the road to greatness. I'm thrilled he'll be leading my team for years to come.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I only comaprison we have to make now is "what we would look like if Washington got Bradford and we had Suh" Redskins would be in delerium and the Rams would be looking for a new GM.

for me anyways. Sam looks like Troy Aikman, but a little more nimble.

MACD is offline Registered User

Sam has 18 tds and 14 ints, after throwing 554 passes for a 2.52 ratio. Manning threw 28 picks his rookie year! To compare, that's a 4.82 ratio against his 574 passes....almost double!!! In one 6 game stretch he had 11 tds to go with only ONE int.

Geesh, if only he had known how to take direct snaps at OU, and stand pressure in the pocket, and throw darts on the run, and take a hit, and go through his progressions....maybe he WOULD have led the nation in passing efficiency two years in a row, and made All-American, and contend for a Heisman. If only.........

And we're comparing him to anyone else?
    Last edited by MACD; -01-01-2011 at 12:19 AM.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I just don't see the Troy Aikman comparisons. It's just the easy thing to say because he's from OK and #8.

Coaching staff has done a great job of not letting him stab himself in the foot by having him throw short, high percentage passes. Also, they are protecting their 70 million dollar investment by making sure he gets rid of the ball before he get's killed. If they had let Bradford loose all year, he probably would have had a lot more picks, and likely less TD's as well.

I think next year, if they open it up a bit more we will get to see more of what his style is like. He is definitely under the reigns this year, and may even stay that way next year under this head coach, but I don't think we've seen the "real" Sam Bradford yet. Not saying for certain he's better than we've seen, just that it's hard to make comparisons until he gets to be himself a bit more out there, hopefully with an improved O'line.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford is... Sam Bradford. He's brought a 1-15 team to a potential playoff run, he currently has an 18-14 TD-INT ratio. He has tremendous accuracy, underrated athleticism, and can make solid plays with average, ragtag wide receivers. I don't know what the future holds for this kid but it's most likely he'll do even better than his current season. Cheers for an amazing season of Rams football and lets hope for Bradford that he doesn't fall into the Sophomore Slump in the NFL. I guess Rome can really be build within a day.