r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: What Will Steven Jackson's Legacy Be In STL?

What will Steven Jackson's legacy be in STL?

ROGER HENSLEY
    November 23, 2010

QUESTION: This past weekend Steven Jackson moved into the Top 5 all-time in yards from scrimmage for the Rams. Over the years, some fans have been slow to embrace Jackson, though that momentum seems to be changing in recent years. When his playing days are over, what do you think Jackson’s legacy will be in St. Louis?

JIM THOMAS

Perhaps things will change over the second half of his career, but if they don’t, Jackson’s legacy will be that of a great player on bad teams. Kind of a right player/wrong time thing. But Jackson has matured over the years in St. Louis. He has developed into THE team leader, and his willingness to play hard and play hurt, week in and week out has helped changed his image in St. Louis.

BILL COATS

It’s been interesting to watch Steven Jackson mature over his seven seasons with the Rams. He was open with his feelings and thus misunderstood for a few years. Ultimately, I think his legacy will be as a fierce competitor, the most productive running back in franchise history, as well as a devoted team leader.

JEFF GORDON

His legacy depends on whether he lasts long enough to lead the Rams back into the postseason fray. If that occurs, then he will be remembered fondly. He may never be revered like Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and Kurt Warner, given the success of the “Greatest Show on Turf,” but he’ll reach the level right below that pantheon. If the Rams make it all the way back from 1-15 to respectability, the guys who made it happen will feel much love.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)

His legacy will probably depend on what happens with the team over the next few years. If they continue the upward trend then his legacy will be that he carried the team through the down years and helped get them back to the good times again. Unfortunately a player’s legacy is often tied directly to whether or not his team wins more games than they lose.

Independent of that, Jackson will go down as one of the hardest-working players in team history. He keeps himself in great shape year-round, he always plays hard and he plays hurt. He’s a gifted grinder. I really hope the talent level around him continues to improve because if it does we may finally see just how good he can be.

BERNIE MIKLASZ

Two words: Floyd Little. A really good back that gave his career to a losing cause. Little, however, made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I don't think Jackson will get there. But he's had a fine career. One he should be proud of. As for his legacy in town, that's hard to say. I think people appreciate him more than they used to. But Jackson has always been a convenient target for Rams fans that desire to take their frustration out on someone prominent. Even now, I receiving a surprising number of pissy e-mails about Jackson from fans; really nasty and personal stuff that seems way out of line. Jackson: a good back who came to the Rams at the wrong time.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: What Will Steven Jackson's Legacy Be In STL?

Steven Jackson's legacy is not by the yards he makes out of his entire career but how he's a team player who cares more about making this team win rather than break records. He is the runningback version of Isaac Bruce, a class act that is well preparing for the future of this team in the long term. I look forward to seeing him mentor our successor(s) in the RB position.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

i see him being remembered in a couple of ways.

1. If he continues to play for the rams and they never get another ring or anything productive in the post season, he will be looked at kinda like Barry Sanders if he gets the numbers even close. A great running back who probably could've broke every record if he had not played for the team he played for.

2. If the rams become a true threat to ALL NFL teams (and not just the NFC West) he will be remember as the work horse. If the rams win a superbowl while SJAX is still on the roster I think he would out shine marshall faulk and the greatest show on turf. Cuz after that point in every conversation of "when was the last time the rams won a superbowl" we could all say when steven jackson took them there.

3. He could be looked at as just freaking amazing. He could end up being one of those people you forget about for a little while but remember really quick. He'll be that guy whose team won 1 game and he made it to the pro bowl...remember that guy? kinda guy.

4. I think St. Louis will always praise and remember steven jackson just like we will always remember Eric Dickerson, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce. He's a beast, he's a monster and for years he was literally the one man team.

I see a lot of rams fans in tears on the day he finally hangs up the 39 jersey for good and has it raised high in the dome.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I was initially critical of SJ and his pronouncements, particularly regarding his personal goals and what he'd achieve from season to season. I was given the impression that he was as ego-centric as any other back in the league with pretensions of greatness.

I even, and believe me it doesn't happen very often, got into an argument via PM with Nick about SJ and what he said and how he said it. I felt that he was a divisive locker-room influence, Nick felt he was aspirational, if not inspirational.

I've always been reluctant to embrace the 'rah rah' school of 'leadership'. Screaming and cursing at full volume has never equated with leadership in football, retail management or education, three fields I have a passing acquaintance with. Those who managed to motivate, inspire and change me were those who led by example in speech and deed.

In the last 2-3 years, SJ has done that for me, he has become the indomitable standard-bearer for a team that has struggled to assert itself in any phase of football. He is the one player, who, whatever our record, has consistently, on the field and off it, represented the best of our team and the hope of better days to come, and, in the age of the multi-million dollar diva, he has committed himself to the team and recognised that immortality in the NFL isn't wholly a product of how many rings you have.

In a time when our team has struggled, SJ has, over the last 2-3 seasons embodied not only what is the best about the Rams but also what is best about the professional athlete and from someone who was initially largely sceptical, I'm delighted to be able to say it.

His legacy is one of fidelity and continued effort in the face of adversity and I'll value him for that as much as I'll value Marshall for being the tip of the spear that brought us a title.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he'll be remembered as the man who stayed. Sure, he's a great power runner with speed in the open field, an above average pass-catcher, one of the top backs of his era, etc. But most importantly, he's a guy who silenced the critics and then showed them loyalty. Rams fans complained that he danced too much, and he got better. Fans complained that he talked too much, and he started letting his work on the field do the talking. And despite all of the complaints, he stayed loyal to the team throughout its downward spiral even in a mercenary era of free agency.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I was initially critical of SJ and his pronouncements, particularly regarding his personal goals and what he'd achieve from season to season. I was given the impression that he was as ego-centric as any other back in the league with pretensions of greatness.

I even, and believe me it doesn't happen very often, got into an argument via PM with Nick about SJ and what he said and how he said it. I felt that he was a divisive locker-room influence, Nick felt he was aspirational, if not inspirational.

I've always been reluctant to embrace the 'rah rah' school of 'leadership'. Screaming and cursing at full volume has never equated with leadership in football, retail management or education, three fields I have a passing acquaintance with. Those who managed to motivate, inspire and change me were those who led by example in speech and deed.

In the last 2-3 years, SJ has done that for me, he has become the indomitable standard-bearer for a team that has struggled to assert itself in any phase of football. He is the one player, who, whatever our record, has consistently, on the field and off it, represented the best of our team and the hope of better days to come, and, in the age of the multi-million dollar diva, he has committed himself to the team and recognised that immortality in the NFL isn't wholly a product of how many rings you have.

In a time when our team has struggled, SJ has, over the last 2-3 seasons embodied not only what is the best about the Rams but also what is best about the professional athlete and from someone who was initially largely sceptical, I'm delighted to be able to say it.

His legacy is one of fidelity and continued effort in the face of adversity and I'll value him for that as much as I'll value Marshall for being the tip of the spear that brought us a title.
    I love Steven Jackson. One of my favorite Ram players of all-time, regardless of production and wins. I love the man, love his character, and love what he stands for.

On the other hand, a guy like Marshall Faulk, one of the greatest RB's of all-time, I loved him as a player, but he leaves something to be desired as a person.

There was NO WAY in hell I was missing the retirement of Bruce's jersey retirement, and I make the drive from Alabama. Coming to Faulk's was an after thought.

Nothing will keep me away from Jackson's, or Warner's for that matter, when it happens.

Great post by the way!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Fat Pang- excellent post.

With due respect, Eric Dickerson never won a Super Bowl either, but is much more fondly remembered by Rams fans (me amongst them) who grew up watching him play. He was phenomenal, and played on a few teams where the Rams had no passing game at all. As good a player as Jackson is- and I have a lot of admiration for him- when I think of rams running backs, I think of Dickerson above all others.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-24-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: addendum

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Isn't predicting the legacy of a player with at least 2 or 3 good years left kind of like writing someone's eulogy while they're still alive?