r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Where Will Rams Find WR Help?

03.12.2010 1:48 pm
    Where will Rams find WR help?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Suh or Bradford? McCoy or Claussen? There’s a lot of talk about the Rams No. 1 pick. But this is a team, obviously, with many needs and one big one is at WR. It’s pretty well established the Rams aren’t reaching for a WR at No. 1. How soon do you think they seek out a WR in the draft and who are some of the top-rated ones that could still be available from the second round and beyond? Or, are there still any viable free agent WRs out there the Rams should be trying to secure?

JIM THOMAS
    The Rams are in a tough spot when it comes to upgrading at wide receiver. With the limited unrestricted free agent pool due to the uncapped year, there was very little available. Nate Burleson and Antonio Bryant got nice contracts, but they’re not No. 1 receivers or difference makers. Terrell Owens is still out there – never mind his antics, he’s on the decline and no longer an elite player. Denver’s Brandon Marshall is a restricted free agent, but comes with tons of baggage, and right now the Broncos want a first-round draft pick as compensation. As far as the draft, there are a lot of good receivers, but don’t seem to be many great ones. Finding one that can be a clear upgrade is the challenge.

BRYAN BURWELL
    History shows that when it comes to the free-agent wide receiver market, let the buyer beware because the ones available don’t prove to be worth the money. So the answer will come from the draft, and there will be some interesting prospects there in the second and third rounds. Will Notre Dame’s Golden Tate slide into the second round? Will Cincy’s Mardy Gilyard fall into the third round now that he improved his 40 time at his pro day?

BILL COATS
    The Rams could pick a wide receiver as early as the second round, but I think it’s more likely in the third or fourth. If it’s the third, Arrelious Benn (6-1, 219) of Illinois and/or Brandon LeFell (6-3, 211) of LSU might still be available. I don’t see any free agents that would fill that “go-to” wideout spot, although a couple (Laveranues Coles? David Clowney?) might help them depth-wise.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
    The Rams have bodies at the WR position, they just don’t have a difference maker. If the guys available when they draft aren’t potential No. 1 receivers then there would be almost no point in taking them. They’d be just like Donnie Avery, Laurent Robinson, et al.

Golden Tate and Dez Bryant figure to be off the board before the Rams pick at No. 33 but if one slips, more likely Bryant because of perceptions about his personality, then you’d have to take him. Arrelious Benn (6’1” 219) of Illinois and Demaryius Thomas (6’3” 225) of Georgia Tech would be interesting selections at the top of the 2nd round. Thomas, in particular, is a big-time home run hitter on the outside – not that the Rams really attempt to stretch the field all that much. Possession guys like Brandon LaFell from LSU or Jordan Shipley from Texas would make some sense in the 3rd round if the team felt like addressing a different need at No. 33.

I don’t see a UFA out there who would be a significant upgrade over what the Rams already have in place.

JEFF GORDON
    Sadly, the Ruvell Martin era appears over at Rams Park. So, yes, the team has an opening. The team has taken a pass at the top free agents, so help will have to come through the draft. The need at WR is another reason to move down a few spots in the first round, if possible, to add another pick.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Round Two: Where Will Rams Find WR Help?

theres one wideout later than the 2nd round who i think could have number 1 wideout potential but i havent seen on anyones radar but my own...

Dezmon Briscoe, a Junior from Kansas 6 2" (tho ive seen him listed at 6 3" too ) 207lbs.. not the greatest 40 at 4.64 but has good hands,good size..brave..will go over the middle to make the catches..has got good YAC ability ..got 269 yards against Oklahoma in 2008 the most in a game in the NCAA in that year..productive..good kid who loves the game.. has career stats..

GP 37
    Rec 217
    yards 3,240
    YPC 14.8
    TD 31..(7 in `07, 15 in `08 9 in `09)

oh and he`s only 20 years old. (turns 21 in august)

he could fall to the 4th or 5th round range..but highest would probably be the 3rd.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.

jmoss10686 Guest

I'd be happy with Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas in the second or even Taylor Price in the third.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I miss Holt and Bruce..

Warner4prez Guest

Obviously the Rams aren't stocked at WR, but I think that there's a great rotation of guys that could be quality receivers...and they're all different types of guys that force opposing defenses to adjust accordingly.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

How come we haven't gone after any of the WRs in free agency this year? Antonio Bryant, T.O, Nate Burleson? It seems to me like this front office relies a lot more on youth then veteran leadership lol.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    How come we haven't gone after any of the WRs in free agency this year? Antonio Bryant, T.O, Nate Burleson? It seems to me like this front office relies a lot more on youth then veteran leadership lol.

Yes, and this is good Ahmed, but at some point you have to go out and get veteran depth, especially at a position as skilled as WR. YOung is good, but a difference maker has to be there. We have a good crop of guys now, we are just missing that NUMBER ONE.

SLSG Guest

We need a RT, DE and an OLB before we need a WR.

Truth is offline Registered User

If we're looking for a WR in the 3rd round, I'd take a very serious look at Eric Decker from Minnesota (6'3", 217) His 40 time wasn't blistering at 4.54, but I've seen a lot of this kid. He gets open when everybody in the stadium knows the ball is going to him, and he catches everything that comes near him. He runs great routes, is a smart player and a high character kid. He catches the ball equally well over the middle, in traffic, or down the field. He knows how to help his QB by breaking off routes and coming back to the ball.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

ludairv is offline Registered User

BIG BENN Version 2.0 (arrelius) minus the assaulting woman part though.... this kids has the hands of colston and crabtree with the body of boldin...but quicker...this kids a monster...